THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys' DeMarvion Overshown’s lost season, 2024 fit, and long-term outlook
reid hanson
February 8, 2024

USATSI_18696915.jpg

DeMarvion Overshown’s professional career barely off the ground before an ACL injury in the preseason landed the third-round pick on season-ending IR. Up until that moment, things were looking up for the linebacker out of Texas.

Overshown was often seen of as a man without a position in college. Bouncing between safety and linebacker, Overshown appeared to be a hybrid of sorts. He was a football player, without question, but scouts were split on what role exactly he’d play in the NFL.

His 6-foot-3 229-pound frame allowed him to exist in multiple capacities, and the Cowboys had a growing reputation for making it work with nontraditionally built box players.

Despite his relatively lean frame and previous experience at the safety position, Overshown played like a true thumper in Cowboys camp. He exploded to holes, attacking his run fits like a man with a grudge.

His sideline-to-sideline acumen translated perfectly to the pro game. He didn’t look like a rookie adapting to the speed of the competition in any way. In fact, his speed popped off the screen in training camp and preseason action.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-demarvion-overshown-2024-outlook/

This is a great article. It really goes into detail about his future and how much the Cowboys will be counting on him this year. He was clearly missed last year.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
I pray he's not another Malik Jefferson. We need him to be good. There are a few college prospects this year that I feel could come in and really help us.

NFL.com prospect grade for Overshown: Average Backup Or Special-Teamer

Fingers crossed man!

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
He is a great athlete. But he has a history of injuries in college, and now he is recovering from a serious ACL injury.

Counting on him would be a mistake IMO. We need to address this position in FA and the draft. The cupboard is bare, and the holes in the middle of our D are gaping.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He is a great athlete. But he has a history of injuries in college, and now he is recovering from a serious ACL injury.

Counting on him would be a mistake IMO. We need to address this position in FA and the draft. The cupboard is bare, and the holes in the middle of our D are gaping.
Yes i'm convinced we can NOT go in the season riding on the fact that we have him and mazi here

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Counting on him would be a mistake IMO. We need to address this position in FA and the draft.
1000% but we have seen in the past where they have done the exact opposite and fans wanna run him out of town for poor play.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Thank you BD for bringing something fresh to the board, been tired of sifting through the beat to death stale posts.

Grew up a Longhorns fan, so I always try and pay as much attention as time affords, and O just stuck out to me in the games I was able to watch and highlights of others that I couldn't catch.

Plays with high intensity with good ball instincts that stat enthusiasts will often overlook, peeps like to slam the "eye testers" here but you know it when you see it.

Kid can play at this level, and those that heat on Quinn now for leaving will be more appreciative of his long term vision when O starts to play and becomes an instant starter.

Always came in like a missile and reminded me of Roy Williams a tiny bit in his time here, it was a shame that he got injured, but have to look at it as a Red Shirt season.

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
He is super-scout in the making Spauldings first find, and buddy.

He will start if he can walk.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I am certainly wishing Overshown the best in his recovery. He may not be at his best for 6-9 months. So I completely agree that assuming he shows up at TC “ready to go” and ready to be plugged in as a starter who fixes a hole this defense has at LB is a big assumption.

The other issue as I see it is Overshown’s skill set - speed and ability to move sideline to sideline may not offset his lack of size at his listed weight of 220. He is a great athlete but we saw teams like SF, Buffalo and GB treat our undersized LBs like rag dolls in the running game. Having a 210-220 lb LB having to take on a 300 lb guard in the open field is a bad matchup.

Overshown has talent. But even at 100%, he does not fix our big need for LBs who can not only cover in the passing game, but also able to serve as run stuffers. Right now our roster is woefully short of run stuffing talent.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
He's going to need another season to get full confidence!!!! May need to bulk up a bit, if not just move him to safety!! lol
Is the picture of O in the OP the only time you have ever seen him before?
Just curious is all

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thank you BD for bringing something fresh to the board, been tired of sifting through the beat to death stale posts.

Grew up a Longhorns fan, so I always try and pay as much attention as time affords, and O just stuck out to me in the games I was able to watch and highlights of others that I couldn't catch.

Plays with high intensity with good ball instincts that stat enthusiasts will often overlook, peeps like to slam the "eye testers" here but you know it when you see it.

Kid can play at this level, and those that heat on Quinn now for leaving will be more appreciative of his long term vision when O starts to play and becomes an instant starter.

Always came in like a missile and reminded me of Roy Williams a tiny bit in his time here, it was a shame that he got injured, but have to look at as a Red Shirt season.
I tell people that mock the eye test....why even watch? Just read thd box.
I get no replies. :laugh:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I tell people that mock the eye test....why even watch? Just read thd box.
I get no replies. :laugh:
Its a new generation of talent evaluators that do not require an actual visual of talent on the field, just the numbers are good enough.
A combination of both is a much better reference.

Last edited:

exciter

Reaction score
He's going to need another season to get full confidence!!!! May need to bulk up a bit, if not just move him to safety!! lol
His playing weight throughout most of college was 217. He bulked up to 229 to workout at the combine. It’s unlikely he can hold that weight throughout the season much less add more and maintain it with his frame!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
His playing weight throughout most of college was 217. He bulked up to 229 to workout at the combine. It’s unlikely he can hold that weight throughout the season much less add more and maintain it with his frame!
Yeah my thing is, we're complaining now about how small in size our LB's are, we need guys maybe with a big bigger frame that's all i'm saying. Ask @Typhus

KeepinTime

Reaction score

Always came in like a missile and reminded me of Roy Williams a tiny bit in his time here, it was a shame that he got injured, but have to look at it as a Red Shirt season.
Good to hear from someone who paid close attention to him in college. Sounded like he was killing it in training camp before the injury.

Rayman70

Reaction score
get healthy and worry about fit later. The kid has to make the team first. It will depend also on the DC we hire.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
No I actually saw him around the corner from my house, Vince young and the guys were there
Was just a question, sorry if you took it the wrong way.
Just wanted to know if you knew anything about O that I was unaware of, your perspective, that is how we learn more everyday Coog.