Cowboys' DeMarvion Overshown's lost season, 2024 fit, and long-term outlook

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its a new generation of talent evaluators that do not require an actual visual of talent on the field, just the numbers are good enough.
A combination of both is a much better reference.
Precisely!

blueblood70

Reaction score
Cowboys' DeMarvion Overshown’s lost season, 2024 fit, and long-term outlook
reid hanson
February 8, 2024

USATSI_18696915.jpg

DeMarvion Overshown’s professional career barely off the ground before an ACL injury in the preseason landed the third-round pick on season-ending IR. Up until that moment, things were looking up for the linebacker out of Texas.

Overshown was often seen of as a man without a position in college. Bouncing between safety and linebacker, Overshown appeared to be a hybrid of sorts. He was a football player, without question, but scouts were split on what role exactly he’d play in the NFL.

His 6-foot-3 229-pound frame allowed him to exist in multiple capacities, and the Cowboys had a growing reputation for making it work with nontraditionally built box players.

Despite his relatively lean frame and previous experience at the safety position, Overshown played like a true thumper in Cowboys camp. He exploded to holes, attacking his run fits like a man with a grudge.

His sideline-to-sideline acumen translated perfectly to the pro game. He didn’t look like a rookie adapting to the speed of the competition in any way. In fact, his speed popped off the screen in training camp and preseason action.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-demarvion-overshown-2024-outlook/

This is a great article. It really goes into detail about his future and how much the Cowboys will be counting on him this year. He was clearly missed last year.
My hope is with his aggressive rehab that he adds about 10 lbs and we won't have to worry about where he needs to play... Get them via full-time linebacker whether it be a weak side or outside linebacker type depending on this defense which we don't know what we'll be running.... I know he has the motor and the drive so he just gets over this injury and doesn't take forever to get back... Some guys recover way faster from an ACL and are ready to step back day one....

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm excited about this guy, but coming off of injury and basically being a rookie, management just can't assume he is going to be the answer at one of our LB spots.

Last year, we assumed LVE would stay healthy and we assumed Clark would improve and we got burned because of it.

We need to put real resources to LB.
Literally you have to assume that from just about anyone who steps on the field for you so you. lol. We don't even know if a big time free agent or a draft pick are gonna perform in this defense.... There's always a bit of a mystery on how a player's gonna adapt to a scheme...

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Considering t;he last couple players coming off ACL tears here, I wouldn't depend on him or Trevon early in the season. Need to treat Overshown like he doesn't even exist until he proves otherwise.

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
Let him compete with Bell for the nickel LB role and bring in two big bodied dudes who can stop the run. Problem solved.

loublue22

Reaction score
We all know we'll be sold on Overshown and Diggs fixing the defense, maybe we'll sign some practice squad guys nobody else wants.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Remember Deuce Vaughn? He was going to replace Pollard. :laugh:
Yeah, and it turns out he might not even make the roster this season. I think he was drafted just so the whole story would make the rounds.

Attention is a lot more important to Jerry than building a winner.

tomokawan

Reaction score
Cowboys' DeMarvion Overshown’s lost season, 2024 fit, and long-term outlook
reid hanson
February 8, 2024

USATSI_18696915.jpg

DeMarvion Overshown’s professional career barely off the ground before an ACL injury in the preseason landed the third-round pick on season-ending IR. Up until that moment, things were looking up for the linebacker out of Texas.

Overshown was often seen of as a man without a position in college. Bouncing between safety and linebacker, Overshown appeared to be a hybrid of sorts. He was a football player, without question, but scouts were split on what role exactly he’d play in the NFL.

His 6-foot-3 229-pound frame allowed him to exist in multiple capacities, and the Cowboys had a growing reputation for making it work with nontraditionally built box players.

Despite his relatively lean frame and previous experience at the safety position, Overshown played like a true thumper in Cowboys camp. He exploded to holes, attacking his run fits like a man with a grudge.

His sideline-to-sideline acumen translated perfectly to the pro game. He didn’t look like a rookie adapting to the speed of the competition in any way. In fact, his speed popped off the screen in training camp and preseason action.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-demarvion-overshown-2024-outlook/

This is a great article. It really goes into detail about his future and how much the Cowboys will be counting on him this year. He was clearly missed last year.
Take off that stinkin Short Horn shirt. Anyway, I still will root for him.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The sorrow expressed when this player went down in camp was very unnerving, unrivaled until we went all into wearing black arm bands and donning veils after Diggs went down. I really did not understand it then, much less now getting excited over the first of many fluff articles about him in the offseason.

I have zero expectations for this player beyond what I formulated before last year's draft, which were not much.

I cannot understand how there is the hope that he just comes in and makes a difference. I am certain he will be presented an unopposed path to the roster because of where he was selected though. They have kept him in the spotlight ever since his injury, silly cowboy hat and everything.

CWR

Reaction score
I pray he's not another Malik Jefferson. We need him to be good. There are a few college prospects this year that I feel could come in and really help us.

NFL.com prospect grade for Overshown: Average Backup Or Special-Teamer

Fingers crossed man!
You could see it in the preseason. Dude was always around the ball. Hes gonna be a playmaker, or at least he would've been in Quinns scheme. Hopefully Zimmer finds the best way to utilize him.