Cowboys' DeMarvion Overshown's lost season, 2024 fit, and long-term outlook

Creeper

Reaction score
I wonder if he can add about 10 or 15 lbs without losing his quickness. I don't see how he can play Mike at 220 lbs. That seems small.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Good to hear from someone who paid close attention to him in college. Sounded like he was killing it in training camp before the injury.
When I saw O drop my heart sank, it was a bigger hit than most wanted to recognize.
We have to ask ourselves or at least wonder if a healthy O would have changed Qs plans.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I wonder if he can add about 10 or 15 lbs without losing his quickness. I don't see how he can play Mike at 220 lbs. That seems small.
He has the frame for it, but already is at 6'2, 220, I don't get where peeps are believing he needs to gain weight.
Will be waiting patiently after the new DC hire for any indications that the new intentions will be to bring in a thumper at LB, if so then a healthy O at safety immediately will improve the entire back seven.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys' DeMarvion Overshown’s lost season, 2024 fit, and long-term outlook
reid hanson
February 8, 2024

USATSI_18696915.jpg

DeMarvion Overshown’s professional career barely off the ground before an ACL injury in the preseason landed the third-round pick on season-ending IR. Up until that moment, things were looking up for the linebacker out of Texas.

Overshown was often seen of as a man without a position in college. Bouncing between safety and linebacker, Overshown appeared to be a hybrid of sorts. He was a football player, without question, but scouts were split on what role exactly he’d play in the NFL.

His 6-foot-3 229-pound frame allowed him to exist in multiple capacities, and the Cowboys had a growing reputation for making it work with nontraditionally built box players.

Despite his relatively lean frame and previous experience at the safety position, Overshown played like a true thumper in Cowboys camp. He exploded to holes, attacking his run fits like a man with a grudge.

His sideline-to-sideline acumen translated perfectly to the pro game. He didn’t look like a rookie adapting to the speed of the competition in any way. In fact, his speed popped off the screen in training camp and preseason action.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-demarvion-overshown-2024-outlook/

This is a great article. It really goes into detail about his future and how much the Cowboys will be counting on him this year. He was clearly missed last year.
Dixon Edwards started all 3 of the Cowboys SB wins in the Nineties. He was 6-1, 230...

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Was just a question, sorry if you took it the wrong way.
Just wanted to know if you knew anything about O that I was unaware of, your perspective, that is how we learn more everyday Coog.
Just so used to you bashing me that I have to take everything this way, i'm adult enough to apologize, no hard feelings i hope. Moving along, he has a frame that to me reminds me of Bell, we need someone that's thicker, does that mean he can't play LB hell no, I just know where we struggled this past season that's all, we all know

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I hope we're not relying on him too much at LB.

Unproven, coming off injury, and undersized.

He's a nice-to-have if it works out guy.
This cracks me up that everyone believes O is a traditional LB, the new DC will view him more than likely as a nice safety, Q would have made him a "LB".

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Just so used to you bashing me that I have to take everything this way, i'm adult enough to apologize, no hard feelings i hope. Moving along, he has a frame that to me reminds me of Bell, we need someone that's thicker, does that mean he can't play LB hell no, I just know where we struggled this past season that's all, we all know
I never realized that I was ever bashing you Coog in any way and if you took it that way than I apologize, and just want you to understand that this is the last time I ever apologize to you....lol

I just come across as being abrasive sometimes in responses because I constantly seek to learn and know more, yes, I am a Cowboys addict fanatic, so that is why I may seem abrasive at times.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Were you here when Darius Jackson was drafted in the 7th round, or maybe the 6th round?
Those threads and posts had him as the greatest RB of all time as soon as he was drafted.
All aboard the hype train... toot toot

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I never realized that I was ever bashing you Coog in any way and if you took it that way than I apologize, and just want you to understand that this is the last time I ever apologize to you....lol

I just come across as being abrasive sometimes in responses because I constantly seek to learn and know more, yes, I am a Cowboys addict fanatic, so that is why I may seem abrasive at times.
ok yes this is getting weird, please let's stop with all the mushy stuff!!! Lol, it's all good glad to hear this!!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Were you here when Darius Jackson was drafted in the 7th round, or maybe the 6th round?
Those threads and posts had him as the greatest RB of all time as soon as he was drafted.
Should have saw me when we got Bo Scarbourugh for some reason i just feel that all ALA players are heaven sent lol

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
reid hanson
February 8, 2024

USATSI_18696915.jpg

DeMarvion Overshown’s professional career barely off the ground before an ACL injury in the preseason landed the third-round pick on season-ending IR. Up until that moment, things were looking up for the linebacker out of Texas.

Overshown was often seen of as a man without a position in college. Bouncing between safety and linebacker, Overshown appeared to be a hybrid of sorts. He was a football player, without question, but scouts were split on what role exactly he’d play in the NFL.

His 6-foot-3 229-pound frame allowed him to exist in multiple capacities, and the Cowboys had a growing reputation for making it work with nontraditionally built box players.

Despite his relatively lean frame and previous experience at the safety position, Overshown played like a true thumper in Cowboys camp. He exploded to holes, attacking his run fits like a man with a grudge.

His sideline-to-sideline acumen translated perfectly to the pro game. He didn’t look like a rookie adapting to the speed of the competition in any way. In fact, his speed popped off the screen in training camp and preseason action.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-demarvion-overshown-2024-outlook/

This is a great article. It really goes into detail about his future and how much the Cowboys will be counting on him this year. He was clearly missed last year.
Too small to be a LB. Quinn proved that doesn’t work. Seems S will be his position.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yeah my thing is, we're complaining now about how small in size our LB's are, we need guys maybe with a big bigger frame that's all i'm saying. Ask @Typhus
Its a FA acquisition or high draft pick away from potentially fixing an obvious hole with Run D, this run D was horrendous, again and you have to pick your poison in this draft and offseason.
We only have so many valued picks, few, but have to come out of the draft with a heavy hitter for the D and find a way to possibly add something available that can shore up this DL depth via FA , Trade, doesn't matter what else this team does, until this defense can stop the run we are standing in molasses.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
reid hanson
February 8, 2024

USATSI_18696915.jpg

I'm excited about this guy, but coming off of injury and basically being a rookie, management just can't assume he is going to be the answer at one of our LB spots.

Last year, we assumed LVE would stay healthy and we assumed Clark would improve and we got burned because of it.

We need to put real resources to LB.