Cowboys DL Chauncey Golston has golden opportunity for a breakout season

Rayman70

Reaction score
what world do we live in where all in means allowing over 10 key guys walk,not replace them, and use jags,udfa's and God knows what, thinking we can be good?If thats what all in is, I'll put salt and pepper on my ball cap and eat every last friggin bite. We MIGHT win 6-8 games, games with the roster, even after the draft, unless we do something unheard of in the leagues history draftwise.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys defensive lineman Chauncey Golston has golden opportunity for a breakout season
Story by MLenix84

Defensive lineman Chauncey Golston was a third-round pick of the Dallas Cowboys in 2021. So far, he's been mostly a rotational piece and a special teams contributor. However, with the recent events regarding the Cowboys roster, Golston has a huge opportunity in 2024.

The Cowboys have one of, if not the best, edge rushers in the NFL when it comes to Micah Parsons, and they have DeMarcus Lawrence who is a monster in the run game and can also get after the quarterback. Sam Williams has a ton of potential but is still looking to take the next step. So, with Golston primarily rushing from the edge during his collegiate days at Iowa, and playing 287 of his 414 snaps as a rookie playing defense end, he has an even better chance to get in the edge rotation. With Dorance Armstrong and Dante Fowler off the roster, both were the biggest contributors off the edge outside of Parsons and Lawrence over the last few seasons, Golston should get playing time. Plus, he showed the ability to set the edge in the run game in addition to getting after the quarterback from the perimeter at Iowa.

One thing that was appealing about Golston as a prospect coming out of college was his position flex. He had the ability to slide inside and play 3-technique, especially in passing situations. Before his second year in 2022, Golston added 20 pounds to his frame to assist him in battling interior offensive lineman. With his long arms, it was seen as an advantage against shorter arm guys playing inside and allowing him to use his quick first step and power.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r&cvid=13dcf16466874837c0e4215ccfe5879c&ei=21

AA1nmwvN.img
Chauncey Goldston has pretty much been a good 3rd round pick. He’s not a star but he’s certainly been a contributor to our improved defense the last 3 seasons.

Honestly I don’t think he has a lot more upside. He is a hard worker and maximizes the talent he has. 2024 is his fourth year he will certainly have opportunities to show growth. I fully expect him to continue being a good rotational piece on the DL.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Cowboys defensive lineman Chauncey Golston has golden opportunity for a breakout season
Story by MLenix84

Defensive lineman Chauncey Golston was a third-round pick of the Dallas Cowboys in 2021. So far, he's been mostly a rotational piece and a special teams contributor. However, with the recent events regarding the Cowboys roster, Golston has a huge opportunity in 2024.

The Cowboys have one of, if not the best, edge rushers in the NFL when it comes to Micah Parsons, and they have DeMarcus Lawrence who is a monster in the run game and can also get after the quarterback. Sam Williams has a ton of potential but is still looking to take the next step. So, with Golston primarily rushing from the edge during his collegiate days at Iowa, and playing 287 of his 414 snaps as a rookie playing defense end, he has an even better chance to get in the edge rotation. With Dorance Armstrong and Dante Fowler off the roster, both were the biggest contributors off the edge outside of Parsons and Lawrence over the last few seasons, Golston should get playing time. Plus, he showed the ability to set the edge in the run game in addition to getting after the quarterback from the perimeter at Iowa.

One thing that was appealing about Golston as a prospect coming out of college was his position flex. He had the ability to slide inside and play 3-technique, especially in passing situations. Before his second year in 2022, Golston added 20 pounds to his frame to assist him in battling interior offensive lineman. With his long arms, it was seen as an advantage against shorter arm guys playing inside and allowing him to use his quick first step and power.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r&cvid=13dcf16466874837c0e4215ccfe5879c&ei=21

AA1nmwvN.img
so now the team hopes he turns into a big time contributor. something he couldn't do in his first 4 years. he couldn't beat other backups who were average, so now hey, here is opportunity, lets have him have a breakout season.

Joneses are doing a great job of marketing. generating hope as htey always do. raise ticket prices (done). get fans to continue to listen (angry and happy ones) and sell more jerseys. here is hoping to the team breaking the 10B barrier!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What has he showed so far to give us reason to believe he will have a breakout year? To me, he appears too slow to play DE in the NFL and too weak to play inside. He is a JAG and probably always will be.
We haven’t seen enough of him to suggest he will or won’t. We can’t assume he sucks when he hasn’t played.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Depending on Chauncey is like finding the Maltese Falcon under the Christmas tree .

shabazz

Reaction score
As long as the new HC is happy with him, it's all good.......that's my positivity spilling out once again

RS12

Reaction score
Meh. Three year rule applies. You are what you are at that point, In this case a one contract player.

morasp

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing what he can do. Last season he had 17 games 3 starts and 99 snaps averaging a tackle every 4 snaps, and solo tackle every 7 snaps. Jalen carter averaged a tackle every 3 snaps and a solo tackle every 5. I thought when he played DE he was good against the run and that's the emphasis this season.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Pulling for Chauncy to make a giant leap forward this year in Zims defense.
Volume doesn't need to make a giant leap I mean in defense of these players they had Fowler and Armstrong in their way and we're not just talking about Chauncey here we're talking about Sam Williams hopefully he matures off the field enough for the new coaching staff gives him a clean slate no doghouse his his snaps were limited because he was in the doghouse truly you can tell he wasn't being used as much but now with those players out some of these other players on this team will step up the same way as we were surprised when Fowler and Armstrong played so well in their support roles I think these guys will as well you can add in some of the other guys who just now got on the team it's not gonna be that hard to replace Armstrong and Fowler as much as people think they are support roles you have guys with specific starting roles and then you have the other guys that are rotating in with limited snaps...

they will ALL grow this year and all we need is small growth not big leaps...

And I know it's not part of this particular conversation but I believe this to be all over our team including the offensive line has young parts ready for their next step..

we can add in safety and even on the outside chance some of our existing linebackers may have a better shot in this defense and people are laughing at SJ and saying we might go to a three linebacker type defense and that we don't have the parts according to fans but you don't know that this defense is going to be different therefore some of the players that didn't fit Dan Quinn will fit Mike Zimmer and we're talking about maybe Clarke grows up a bit, Malik Jefferson ,and we just added a linebacker and plus we have the draft and some free agency to build this defense out..

I realize all the hosts about the lack of a lot of activity and free agency but I believe it's because they trust what we have on this team are ready to be the next man up and I'm not saying they're not doing anything we have the draft and we have a lot of the other type of free agents that are still left we're gonna add to this team but there's a lot of young players that I believe are gonna step up this year...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Meh. Three year rule applies. You are what you are at that point, In this case a one contract player.
No it doesn't when they're stuck behind players in a specific defense with a specific defensive coordinator and don't really get a chance to show out whenever you have those opportunities finally come now we will see but I believe Sam Williams will may have a big year if he stays out of trouble off the field and stays out of the doghouse but a guy like Chauncey maybe for hoco these guys can do what Armstrong and Fowler did given a chance they need snaps you haven't seen anything because they have they've been stuck behind a lot of productive role players but now it's their shot...

No one's predicting greatness but we all see that there are a lot of young players all throughout this team ready to have the next man up opportunity and I think a lot of them are gonna surprise us but you can be negative all you want I see your post you're up with this whole pitchfork and torch crowd that think there's inactivity in free agency and so far this offseason they haven't done much you don't trust what they have on the field but I think they do and also adding we have the draft and there's a lot of free agents that will be added between now and game one,

they're waiting on what they fill in with the draft... Can anyone who's surprised by this hasn't been watching the last three years this is pretty much what they do slow starts to the offseason but they've been able to do enough before game one to actually have a very consistent three straight years of good football and I realized I haven't got over the hump in the playoffs but dude we've been one of the best teams in the league doing the least in the offseason, so this isn't a surprise...

Now I'm not guaranteeing a great season or making any sort of predictions or expectations on either side of this debate but I can tell you right now I have a wait and see and we will settle this on the field and talk about this in February on how this offseason went and how these players stepped up or not.. But that's what opinions are for you think and they're not ready and some of us think they are it'll be settled when games are played not in the offseason...​

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Volume doesn't need to make a giant leap I mean in defense of these players they had Fowler and Armstrong in their way and we're not just talking about Chauncey here we're talking about Sam Williams hopefully he matures off the field enough for the new coaching staff gives him a clean slate no doghouse his his snaps were limited because he was in the doghouse truly you can tell he wasn't being used as much but now with those players out some of these other players on this team will step up the same way as we were surprised when Fowler and Armstrong played so well in their support roles I think these guys will as well you can add in some of the other guys who just now got on the team it's not gonna be that hard to replace Armstrong and Fowler as much as people think they are support roles you have guys with specific starting roles and then you have the other guys that are rotating in with limited snaps...

they will ALL grow this year and all we need is small growth not big leaps...

And I know it's not part of this particular conversation but I believe this to be all over our team including the offensive line has young parts ready for their next step..

we can add in safety and even on the outside chance some of our existing linebackers may have a better shot in this defense and people are laughing at SJ and saying we might go to a three linebacker type defense and that we don't have the parts according to fans but you don't know that this defense is going to be different therefore some of the players that didn't fit Dan Quinn will fit Mike Zimmer and we're talking about maybe Clarke grows up a bit, Malik Jefferson ,and we just added a linebacker and plus we have the draft and some free agency to build this defense out..

I realize all the hosts about the lack of a lot of activity and free agency but I believe it's because they trust what we have on this team are ready to be the next man up and I'm not saying they're not doing anything we have the draft and we have a lot of the other type of free agents that are still left we're gonna add to this team but there's a lot of young players that I believe are gonna step up this year...
I wonder sometimes if certain players never either developed or have their growth stunted by the way they are used and in certain circumstances used incorrectly. Yes the former role players need to all step up their respective games. Maybe the madness of our GM/son combo can produce something out of this. It is my hope we get young, cheap and are ascending instead of descending and can get it done in the next 2-5 years. Not holding my breathed but hope is there.