Cowboys dodge the officiating bullet this week

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Why would you “fix” a handle that allows you to flex the outcome as you see fit? NFL has no interest in that.

Anyone that thinks the NFL sits down with the refs every seek to decide who they want to win so they will fix that games is absolutely the dumbest thing I have EVER heard.

If you believe that then you believe in Bigfoot.

DripTooHard

Reaction score
Anyone that thinks the NFL sits down with the refs every seek to decide who they want to win so they will fix that games is absolutely the dumbest thing I have EVER heard.

No they are in the refs ear during the game and dictate ebb and flow. They shape the game. Not fix it.

Creeper

Reaction score
I have been on the refs as much as anyone this year, but I also understand it is a difficult job. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. If they throw a flag negating a big play one team is unhappy. If they don't throw the flag the other team is unhappy. They have to call penalties they see if it affects the outcome of the play. Non-calls are as bad as calls.

All I have ever wanted from the refs is consistency. If you call PI on one team they have to call the same thing on every other team. Same with holding etc.

Plus, I would make 2 new rules, both unsportsmanlike conduct. 1) players are not allowed to call for penalties. I have no idea if any refs are actually influenced by players who signal to the refs that an opposing player committed a foul or not but it looks bad when they do and the refs throw a late flag. 2) coaches should not be allowed to alert refs to what individual players or teams do that may be a foul before games. Let the refs call what they see. Some coaches may have more influence on officials than others. During the game, if a ref misses a foul a coach would be allowed to point it out to the refs.

It is a difficult job but the stats show all refs do not do it the same way and that is a problem.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Yep, the "officials are always correct" guy.

So you going to address the points I made? Pretty good ones if I do say so myself. Maybe I should write. Some dude called me out, I responded and then he limped off "drinking." What about you?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
And the “argue AGAINST the Cowboys and FOR the opposition” guy.

I knew you'd be back. You always are, like I say. Lol.

So are you gonna comment on the fact that we have a former Cowboy reffing our game today? If the opposite were true for the Niners, it would be PROOF the league is out to get us. Isn't that right? So what is this then?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you going to address the points I made? Pretty good ones if I do say so myself. Maybe I should write. Some dude called me out, I responded and then he limped off "drinking." What about you?

I did comment. You made no worthy points.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My problem with having a former Cowboy ref today is this......will he go overboard with calls on the Cowboys to show he is unbiased? Sort of like when Aikman does our games.

ESisback

Reaction score
For every one of those missed calls, we can point to 10 BS calls that went against the Cowboys. The point made in the article is that you can call penalties on every NFL play, but do you NEED to?

No one thinks they actually have sit down strategy meetings, but something similar to Bigfoot MAY exist. I personally know a backwoods survivalist who’s seen some freaky stuff!

A few things I am sure of: the penalties are mostly subjective; the inconsistency is a huge problem; the majority of the flags come after a big first down or score by the offense or big stop by the defense—more than most, I’d wager; Dallas IS the most polarizing team.

People can connect the dots any way they wish. Some will fight endlessly against the notion of influence, because they’re terrified of yet another thing they have no control over. The other extreme is people who believe in Dungeons & Dragons & The Illuminati. Lots of space in the middle for most people.

ESisback

Reaction score

So are you gonna comment on the fact that we have a former Cowboy reffing our game today? If the opposite were true for the Niners, it would be PROOF the league is out to get us. Isn't that right? So what is this then?

You expect people to leave the forum because some internet know-it-all “won” a debate? Wishful thinking? Delusion?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
My problem with having a former Cowboy ref today is this......will he go overboard with calls on the Cowboys to show he is unbiased? Sort of like when Aikman does our games.

Oh, Mary. From your keyboard to all the CONSPIRACY! theorists' minds. You know that'll be exactly what they say if we lose. Ignored if we win of course, lol.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You expect people to leave the forum because some internet know-it-all “won” a debate? Wishful thinking? Delusion?

Oh, don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about. I called you a stalker and here you are AGAIN only talking about me and not addressing my points just like your post right here. You have no control. That's why I can predict you'll be back solely to scoff at me and not address what I'm saying, slinking off with your "that's funny" back away move. See you next time. Lol.

We have a former Cowboy reffing our game. Not gonna comment or just avoid when it doesn't fit your "we always robbed" narrative?

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
No coach is going to watch 31 other games and then rate 1-17 every week. Nice thought, but would require >1 days work during game week every week

ESisback

Reaction score

You expect people to leave the forum because some internet know-it-all “won” a debate? Wishful thing? Delusion?
Oh, don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about. I called you a stalker and here you are AGAIN only talking about me and not addressing my points just like your post right here. You have no control. That's why I can predict you'll be back solely to scoff at me and not address what I'm saying, slinking off with your "that's funny" back away move. See you next time. Lol.

We have a former Cowboy reffing our game. Not gonna comment or just avoid when it doesn't fit your "we always robbed" narrative?

Actually, no, I just don’t feel like wasting my day going back and forth with a know-it-all. This is a fan forum. People give their opinion, and others respond. If someone disagrees with you consistently on certain subjects, they’re a “stalker”?!? You know where you can stick your idiotic delusions.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You expect people to leave the forum because some internet know-it-all “won” a debate? Wishful thing? Delusion?

Actually, no, I just don’t feel like wasting my day going back and forth with a know-it-all. This is a fan forum. People give their opinion, and others respond. If someone disagrees with you consistently on certain subjects, they’re a “stalker”?!? You know where you can stick your idiotic delusions.

Thanks for confirming you're avoiding the point.

But see? That's the thing. You don't give an opinion that disagrees with mine. I actually want you to. All you do is engage in Sideline Sally b**** behavior to talk about me to others, not the topic I'm discussing. Just like other also-rans I've encountered. They know what's up. But actually discussing the topics is the reason you follow me around exhibiting this mean girl behavior in the first place because of how those discussions made you look. So now you're reduced to trying to rally others against me in case I fear if others think poorly of me like you do to "get back" at me. Don't you also-rans know that all this does is confirm you couldn't hang in the past and now are just bitter?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No one thinks they actually have sit down strategy meetings, but something similar to Bigfoot MAY exist. I personally know a backwoods survivalist who’s seen some freaky stuff!

A few things I am sure of: the penalties are mostly subjective; the inconsistency is a huge problem; the majority of the flags come after a big first down or score by the offense or big stop by the defense—more than most, I’d wager; Dallas IS the most polarizing team.

People can connect the dots any way they wish. Some will fight endlessly against the notion of influence, because they’re terrified of yet another thing they have no control over. The other extreme is people who believe in Dungeons & Dragons & The Illuminati. Lots of space in the middle for most people.

Human error will always be an issue. There is no conspiracy against the Cowboys or with the league and the refs influencing games and who wins on purpose.

Haimerej

Reaction score
The game is based on two teams playing to decide who is better. When the refs step in and decide for them then the game is pointless. And there is no excuse for it when every play has multiple cameras on it. Dez being the obvious example. The other issue is the infractions that they all appear to miss. Saints/Rams for example. There is also the holding calls on O-Lineman. It happens every play. Everyone knows it. So just call the blatant holds and let the big guys play. PI calls are obviously the glaring penalties. Especially since the uncatchable ball doesn't get used nearly enough. PI isn't any worse than Defensive holding. Should be penalized the same.

I don't think for a minute that the officials care who wins or loses. I really don't. But perception matters. And it directly affects how the league is viewed. A lot more so than some uniform violation.

How much of a problem is this really? Sure, every team has moments they can point to where they were screwed by a bad call. They also have moments in which they're helped by a bad call.

But again, where do they draw the line? What would be considered, "let the big guys play"? Should they only call holding if they see it when there's a big run? This concept of letting some things go seems like it would open up an even bigger can of worms.