Cowboys dodge the officiating bullet this week

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
It's sad that it actually matters who the officials are.. Bad officiating is widespread in the NFL, but unfortunately there is no end in sight.

ESisback

Reaction score
Hochuli didn't make the cut for the playoffs, so you're going to lose that bet.

Officials are graded. He failed, for obvious reasons.

Well, that’s good to know! I’ve neglected my usual hours of intense research to find out the names of all the refs calling every game. Apologies!

Haimerej

Reaction score
I'll grant that calls are missed or penalties are called that aren't penalties, but I'd argue most penalties they call are legit. All this talk about refs could just as easily be applied to the players.

I mean, if the refs need to, "reign it in," how does that work? What penalties are they supposed to not call? Most bad calls are centered around pass interference calls. I don't think they'd be as big of a problem if they weren't spot fouls. Change PI to a 10 or 15 yard penalty and a these penalties, missed or not, would be less of an issue, imo.

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score
I'll grant that calls are missed or penalties are called that aren't penalties, but I'd argue most penalties they call are legit. All this talk about refs could just as easily be applied to the players.

I mean, if the refs need to, "reign it in," how does that work? What penalties are they supposed to not call? Most bad calls are centered around pass interference calls. I don't think they'd be as big of a problem if they weren't spot fouls. Change PI to a 10 or 15 yard penalty and a these penalties, missed or not, would be less of an issue, imo.

The game is based on two teams playing to decide who is better. When the refs step in and decide for them then the game is pointless. And there is no excuse for it when every play has multiple cameras on it. Dez being the obvious example. The other issue is the infractions that they all appear to miss. Saints/Rams for example. There is also the holding calls on O-Lineman. It happens every play. Everyone knows it. So just call the blatant holds and let the big guys play. PI calls are obviously the glaring penalties. Especially since the uncatchable ball doesn't get used nearly enough. PI isn't any worse than Defensive holding. Should be penalized the same.

I don't think for a minute that the officials care who wins or loses. I really don't. But perception matters. And it directly affects how the league is viewed. A lot more so than some uniform violation.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
They don't just make bad calls. They make game changing calls and insert themselves when they shouldn't but then they won't make obvious calls when they should.
What angers me is they reviewed this play and still got it wrong in NY. The announcers made the point that they may not review the sound when they review the video. That should change if true.

TheHerd

Reaction score

They inconsistency of the problem. And the league has become NBA-ish with treatment for some stars. Someone on here did a comparison of roughing the passer calls and it was staggering how lopsided the numbers were. Just calls it the same for both teams and all players. And don’t control the game.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Can’t remember the last game I watching in any sport in which the refs weren’t complained about. It’s just a given in sports now.

Scotman

Reaction score
The suggestion of a system that lets the coaches vote isn't completely broken. I'd love virtually any fresh take on improving officiating. The refs should be there to keep things fair and keep things moving. If they can do that without being noticed, even better.

Silverz1972

Reaction score
Officiating possibly cost the raiders yesterdays game. Play was blown dead early when ref blew the whistle inadvertently because he thought burrow ran out of bounds. He did but instead threw a uncontested ball into the endzone for a touchdown.

raiders shouldn’t have been in the playoffs in the first place except for the fact they got some bogus calls against us to win that game. Fitting.

Nfl needs to do some firing. They need to start with the Shawn hoculli crew.

75boyz

Reaction score
Why would we need a scapegoat for winning?

Good point. Not sure how the goal post shift of credit for winning would be sliced up since many media outlets have cast doubt on the Cowboys chances leading up to the game.

IF a loss occurred though, there will be multiple scapegoat and/or excuse posts here touting the various reasons to always include the officiating.

jmo

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hochuli's games were Tampa Bay and Las Vegas. Could say his crew's calls cost the Cowboys a 14-3 record and the top seed.
How? So without the bad calls the Cowboys win 2 other games? That takes some kind of weird crystal ball.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
How? So without the bad calls the Cowboys win 2 other games? That takes some kind of weird crystal ball.

They forget about this one that won us a game by their same logic. I'm sure there's others that can be dug up.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
These teams are all so evenly matched that is not always possible.

Everyone realizes refs make bad calls every game. The problem is that almost all these bad calls, or non calls, are seen by the fans on tv, but the NFL refuses to fix the calls.

We have the technology to see the bad calls, we should also have the technology to fix the bad calls. Simple!!

I agree. For whatever reason they continue to bumble it.

DripTooHard

Reaction score
They forget about this one that won us a game by their same logic. I'm sure there's others that can be dug up.

For every one of those missed calls, we can point to 10 BS calls that went against the Cowboys. The point made in the article is that you can call penalties on every NFL play, but do you NEED to?