News: Cowboys Draft 2016: Why Trading Back Is The Best Option

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys Draft 2016: Why Trading Back Is The Best Option
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...raft-2016-why-trading-back-is-the-best-option

In the next few weeks, the Dallas Cowboys will face one of the tougher franchise decisions in recent memory. With the 2015 season in the books, the Cowboys can forget about their injury-riddled year where they finished last in the division.

Currently, the most plausible options with the pick are Joey Bosa, Ezekiel Elliott, Jalen Ramsey, Jared Goff, and Carson Wentz. Looking at all five players, each fills a need and each could very well be a franchise-type player for the Cowboys, meaning he would be here for at least ten years. Unfortunately, if the first three picks stay the same, there is a high probability that Laremy Tunsil, Goff or Wentz, and Ramsey are off the board in that order. If that is the case, the Cowboys should look into the prospects of trading down.

Dallas' biggest hole on the roster at the moment is defensive end. And if the Cowboys' draft logic is to draft for need, then Bosa will seemingly be the man for the job. However, when you take a defensive end in the top five, you have to hope he develops into what Von Miller or Khalil Mack have become. I see Bosa turning into an above-average starter in the NFL, but I'm not entirely sure he can turn into a guy who can challenge for the sack lead each season.

Going onto the next player, Elliott would be an excellent find behind the Cowboys' offensive line. For awhile now, people have said that anybody can run behind this offensive line. That may be true, but for the Cowboys to fully get the most out of their offensive line, they should be willing to bring in a stud back that can fully maximize this line's potential. The perfect fit seems to be Elliott, but with the team signing Alfred Morris to a two-year deal, the Cowboys may benefit more by waiting until next year's draft to select a running back. After all, some options in the following draft include Christian McCaffrey, Leonard Fournette, and Dalvin Cook...

NickyDawg

Reaction score
So if we traded back with San Fran or the Rams, what could we realistically expect to get from either team?

DFWJC

Reaction score
I have no problem trading back with the Rams to #15 and snagging BOTH their 2nd rounders.

Or the draft equivalent...which woul be swapping 4 for 15 plus this year's 2nd and next year's 1st.
Then, with extra 2nd this year you can move up from 15 or 34 if needed.
PLUS you hold all the cards for next year with 2 1st rounders.

Sweet

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Could we get their entire draft by swapping. I'd like all of their second, third, and fourth round picks this year. All of them.

arglebargle

Reaction score
I'm in favor of another first round pick next year (as well as a second this year). The Rams are moving to LA, and they are on Hard Knocks, so a prominent rookie QB would help boost interest.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Could we get their entire draft by swapping. I'd like all of their second, third, and fourth round picks this year. All of them.

Not too long ago, the Rams demanded 3 first rd. picks from the Commanders in order to draft RG3... the Rams gave #2 overall for #6 overall and next two years 1st rd picks.

If they want to move up from 15 to 4 overall, I would look at what they asked for when they were in our shoes when the Commanders came calling years ago.

so, I'm thinking both "two's" this year with the 15th overall and next year's 1st is the price, at least.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Cowboys Draft 2016: Why Trading Back Is The Best Option
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...raft-2016-why-trading-back-is-the-best-option

In the next few weeks, the Dallas Cowboys will face one of the tougher franchise decisions in recent memory. With the 2015 season in the books, the Cowboys can forget about their injury-riddled year where they finished last in the division.

Currently, the most plausible options with the pick are Joey Bosa, Ezekiel Elliott, Jalen Ramsey, Jared Goff, and Carson Wentz. Looking at all five players, each fills a need and each could very well be a franchise-type player for the Cowboys, meaning he would be here for at least ten years. Unfortunately, if the first three picks stay the same, there is a high probability that Laremy Tunsil, Goff or Wentz, and Ramsey are off the board in that order. If that is the case, the Cowboys should look into the prospects of trading down.

Dallas' biggest hole on the roster at the moment is defensive end. And if the Cowboys' draft logic is to draft for need, then Bosa will seemingly be the man for the job. However, when you take a defensive end in the top five, you have to hope he develops into what Von Miller or Khalil Mack have become. I see Bosa turning into an above-average starter in the NFL, but I'm not entirely sure he can turn into a guy who can challenge for the sack lead each season.

Going onto the next player, Elliott would be an excellent find behind the Cowboys' offensive line. For awhile now, people have said that anybody can run behind this offensive line. That may be true, but for the Cowboys to fully get the most out of their offensive line, they should be willing to bring in a stud back that can fully maximize this line's potential. The perfect fit seems to be Elliott, but with the team signing Alfred Morris to a two-year deal, the Cowboys may benefit more by waiting until next year's draft to select a running back. After all, some options in the following draft include Christian McCaffrey, Leonard Fournette, and Dalvin Cook...

The problem with waiting till next year for a RB means to get one of them..

means we are going to have to have another top 5 pick in '17.

Which means we tanked again.

Which also means Romo has failed again to finish a season or his wheels just come off.

Meaning QB is magnified even more as a must have position.

I think we have to pick either QB or RB at 4 and not look back.

In fact.I would pick both positions with our top 2 draft picks if there are quality picks at those positions.

If our past is indicative..Drafting DL high is a non-productive affair for us.

Both of our top DL picks in the last 2 years have been hurt and virtually wasted their first years with us due to injury.

I am not interested in repeating that with our top 4 pick.

I would rather we get a RB who can immediately use our OL to help the defense stay off the field and only play 30 minutes or less a game.

Or if not that..then a QB who gives us a fighting chance of winning if Romo goes down again.

I don't want another D guy with our top pick.

We did that last year with our top 2 picks.

Any other course of drafting is being ignorent of what this team is.

We are not a defensive team. We are offensive.

We already tried to make this team a defensive team when we switched from the 4-3 to the 3-4 and drafted Spears and Ware.

Didn't work then and Romo and the offense were the only thing we could rely on.

Changing now this late in Romo's career is going to fail.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
I dont know about trading back, Ramsey and Jack are difference makers that have a chance at becoming top nfl defenders. One of the two is likely to be available at 4, but not if we trade back further. Those are two players that would be worth not picking up extra picks for. This is of course assuming Jacks knee is fine.

jnday

Reaction score

Getting anything past the second round is a waste. Dallas doesn't hit on many draft picks past the second to make it worth it.

jnday

Reaction score
I dont know about trading back, Ramsey and Jack are difference makers that have a chance at becoming top nfl defenders. One of the two is likely to be available at 4, but not if we trade back further. Those are two players that would be worth not picking up extra picks for. This is of course assuming Jacks knee is fine.

Jack's draft stock seems to be going down these last couple of weeks from what I am seeing. It looks like he will be drafted mid-round from what I have read. His knee is a big concern,

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
If we feel a QB is truly franchise material, I say we do whatever it takes to get him. If we don't view any of the QBs as anything that special, I say we trade back and pick up extra picks. I don't see a big drop off in talent from guys expected to go top 5 and top 15. And I see a lot of 1st round caliber guys (especially at DT) who could be available in the 2nd round. If I could trade back 10 spots in the 1st, still get a top player in the draft, and snag an extra pair of 2nd round picks, I'm all for it. But if we feel like Wentz, Goff or Lynch is the guy, then get him.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I rather trade up to get a Franchise QB than trade down and get two positional players. That being said. Stay put and let Wentz or Goff come to you. I trust that Cleveland will pick the wrong guy. If the QB's are gone by 4 then you listen to offers.

endersdragon

Reaction score
I rather trade up to get a Franchise QB than trade down and get two positional players. That being said. Stay put and let Wentz or Goff come to you. I trust that Cleveland will pick the wrong guy. If the QB's are gone by 4 then you listen to offers.

If the QBs are gone, no one is going to be offering much.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
You only trade back if you don't like the guy there much more than the next 11 picks.

I don't like the idea of trading back behind our rivals this year for more picks-- especially since we essentially snagged three first rounders last year.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
You only trade back if you don't like the guy there much more than the next 11 picks.

I don't like the idea of trading back behind our rivals this year for more picks-- especially since we essentially snagged three first rounders last year.

You make a great point but if I said we could get a franchise(develop) QB plus have three 2nd round picks a 3rd and first next year would you do it? Throw in Leary for a 3rd and you can boost a team quickly.

Look what the Vikings did with multiple first, second and third round picks

conner01

Reaction score
There are no picks worth us taking at 4, yet we are going trade that pick to another team, and get a premium price

CCBoy

Reaction score
There are no picks worth us taking at 4, yet we are going trade that pick to another team, and get a premium price

It all depends upon team needs...some teams actually have needs. There is a reason why draft picks have a corresponding value set for purpose of arbitrations. Dallas is still needing a higher volume of production from contributers. Seven making it to the Pro Bowl is probably a significant number, other wise.

conner01

Reaction score
It all depends upon team needs...some teams actually have needs. There is a reason why draft picks have a corresponding value set for purpose of arbitrations. Dallas is still needing a higher volume of production from contributers. Seven making it to the Pro Bowl is probably a significant number, other wise.

I understand everyone has different needs, but the positions teams trade up for like QB and pass rusher are also our needs. If there is a QB or pass rusher worth trading up for maybe we should pick him. The only trade down options I really see is tunsil if he fell or maybe Goff
Now tunsil would give us a good chance to trade down and maybe we don't see Goff as a QB option, but other than those two I just don't see who people would be trading up for. Maybe I'm wrong so we shall see soon