Video: Cowboys Draft Interview: Raekwon Davis

morasp

Reaction score
I was interested to see this interview, Davis is ranked 45th and would be a good round two to three target. It's pretty funny at about 1:40 when they ask him who else he would want from Alabama to help win on Sunday and he says Saban with McCarthy there.

morasp

Reaction score
HIs comp is DeForest Buckner. His production dropped off after 2017 so we might be able to get him later on.

Overview
Rugged and powerful with elite physical traits, Davis has the ability to impose his will on opponents and dominate at the point of attack. He plays long and strong with rare leverage for a taller player and holds positioning against double teams for linebackers to flow freely.
He was all over the backfield in 2017, but hasn't made nearly as many plays -- against the run or pass -- since then. Despite possessing unique traits and the potential to dominate, his upside could be a moving target based upon maturity level and continued growth as a rusher. He should be a first-round pick who can come in and start right away for an odd or even front defense.
Strengths
  • Elite combination of height, weight and length
  • Elite two-gapper who sets a strong edge
  • Bends well and plays from positions of leverage
  • Initial hands are quick and fierce
  • Shows ability to bludgeon blockers and impose will
  • Corkscrews into the turf to ward off double teams
  • Rarely loses ground to power
  • Adequate range to chase plays
  • Highly effective punch-and-shed timing to tackle
  • Heavy behind his pads when tackling
  • Freight train rush tactics overwhelm lesser guards
  • Greases blocker's edge with heavy hands
  • Pulls himself around blocks with smooth arm-over looks
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/raekwon-davis?id=32194441-5662-6617-82da-e7d203db8ce8

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Has all the tools but I expected way more after his explosion onto the scene.
I think a 4th round grade is fair tbh

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The more interviews that they reveal, the more nervous I get.

Hope the majority of these aren't in consideration for our 1st round pick, and in Davis' case our 2nd round or 3rd picks either.

morasp

Reaction score
The more interviews that they reveal, the more nervous I get.

Hope the majority of these aren't in consideration for our 1st round pick, and in Davis' case our 2nd round or 3rd picks either.
It's hard to say what round they're thinking. Could be third or even fourth. I also wondered if there was any relevance to McCarthy sitting in on the interview or not.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
It's hard to say what round they're thinking. Could be third or even fourth. I also wondered if there was any relevance to McCarthy sitting in on the interview or not.
The LBs coach sitting in on Baun's interview while Tomsula not being there also makes me cringe.

The one guy I was so happy to see an interview for, and it looks like they are pigeonholing him as an off-ball LB.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Davis looks like a run stuffer only to me, and he's a headcase off the field. Hard pass any time before day 3.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
You put Davis in a rotation with Tank, McCoy, Poe, Smith, Gregory, Kinlaw or Chaisson. We would challenge for one of the top defensive lines in the league. 3rd round would be a steal for this monster.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They have shown a ton of interest in this prospect. Nolan appears to be targeting players who are multi-scheme specific. Davis best position maybe as a 3-4 DE.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
You put Davis in a rotation with Tank, McCoy, Poe, Smith, Gregory, Kinlaw or Chaisson. We would challenge for one of the top defensive lines in the league. 3rd round would be a steal for this monster.
If we were to add him, we should pray it was on day 3

That defensive line you listed above is very average.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If we were to add him, we should pray it was on day 3

That defensive line you listed above is very average.

Way better then last years. You just don’t know how Smith and Gregory will play. Davis is a talent, college stats are meaningless for the most part.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Way better then last years. You just don’t know how Smith and Gregory will play. Davis is a talent, college stats are meaningless for the most part.

You're making a slight upgrade with Poe over Woods, McCoy and Collins are a wash, a massive step back at RDE after losing Quinn, and Lawrence is another year older. Chances of our Dline going from average to "one of the tops" due to adding a couple of rookies is uh..... slim.

Nah, pressure rate in college is not meaningless at all. One of the best metrics in determining the players transition to the pros.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
You're making a slight upgrade with Poe over Woods, McCoy and Collins are a wash, a massive step back at RDE after losing Quinn, and Lawrence is another year older. Chances of our Dline going from average to "one of the tops" due to adding a couple of rookies is uh..... slim.

Nah, pressure rate in college is not meaningless at all. One of the best metrics in determining the players transition to the pros.
We will see. Different players and different scheme. Except for sacks Quinn was horrible. His run defense was atrocious.

Creeper

Reaction score
Khalil Davis has caught my eye. 4.75 40 and 32 reps. He's fast and strong. I generally do not like Nebraska defensive linemen, but Davis may be around in the 3rd or 4th round. If we don;t get Kinlaw then maybe Davis is someone to consider in the 5th round.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
We will see. Different players and different scheme. Except for sacks Quinn was horrible. His run defense was atrocious.
Sure but making a claim that it'll be one of the best in the league is a flimsy claim. That's all.
So "outside of rushing the passer the pass rusher was horrible" is what you are saying?
....and have you seen Gregory defend the run? lol

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sure but making a claim that it'll be one of the best in the league is a flimsy claim. That's all.
So "outside of rushing the passer the pass rusher was horrible" is what you are saying?
....and have you seen Gregory defend the run? lol
We actually had one of the better pass rushing teams last year. Quinn,Lawrence and Collins both did very well in pass rush metrics. Was probably the only reason our defense didnt completely collapse. People saying our DL is going to be better have to tap the breaks.