Video: Cowboys Draft Interview: Raekwon Davis

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
We actually had one of the better pass rushing teams last year. Quinn,Lawrence and Collins both did very well in pass rush metrics. Was probably the only reason our defense didnt completely collapse. People saying our DL is going to be better have to tap the breaks.

Yep. I get that every single player that leaves isn't good and every player we sign/draft is the next best player at their position but it is just getting crazy at this point.

But to comment on the above, we had three individuals rank very high as pass rushers, but the team as a whole was only around top 12. And we just lost two of our three.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yep. I get that every single player that leaves isn't good and every player we sign/draft is the next best player at their position but it is just getting crazy at this point.

But to comment on the above, we had three individuals rank very high as pass rushers, but the team as a whole was only around top 12. And we just lost two of our three.
Im not sure where they finished in sacks, but as far as double rate and win rate, Quinn, Lawrence and Collins all finished amoungst the top of their position groups. Quinn was our only truely effective finisher last year. However in terms of putting pressure in the QB, the DL got the job done. Our defense would have been a whole lot worse if they didnt.

One of the biggest things that came out after the season was how fractured and disjointed the defensive coaching staff was. And you could really see that on the field, there was almost no symmetry between the units. They all seemed like they were playing as a position group and not a complete defensive unit.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Davis is a stud run defender he just hasn’t progressed much as a pass rusher.

He’s a physical freak, so if the coaches like his attitude and work ethic he has a high ceiling.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Im not sure where they finished in sacks, but as far as double rate and win rate, Quinn, Lawrence and Collins all finished amoungst the top of their position groups. Quinn was our only truely effective finisher last year. However in terms of putting pressure in the QB, the DL got the job done. Our defense would have been a whole lot worse if they didnt.

One of the biggest things that came out after the season was how fractured and disjointed the defensive coaching staff was. And you could really see that on the field, there was almost no symmetry between the units. They all seemed like they were playing as a position group and not a complete defensive unit.
1st paragraph- I know. That's what I said.

2nd paragrap- we can only hope that caused negative performance. Because right now we are worse on paper than even last year.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Davis is a stud run defender he just hasn’t progressed much as a pass rusher.

He’s a physical freak, so if the coaches like his attitude and work ethic he has a high ceiling.
With Davis you have to ask yourself why did he get 8 sacks as a freshman, and why did that production disappear? Was it all Payne, or is there something you can tap into

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Sure but making a claim that it'll be one of the best in the league is a flimsy claim. That's all.
So "outside of rushing the passer the pass rusher was horrible" is what you are saying?
....and have you seen Gregory defend the run? lol
I am a believer in the scheme was the issue. Poe and McCoy will not be pushed around like Woods and company. Hopefully that will open up VanJaylon. The reality is we don’t even know if Roger will let Smith and Gregory back in the league. I bet Smith gets some type of suspension because of the trouble he got in last year.