Cowboys draft prediction

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With all the talk on TEs in this draft and whether we should take one in the 1st round or wait, I'm predicting the Cowboys don't draft a TE at all. I think they've fallen in love with the Ferguson/Hendershot combination and feel very comfortable with McKeon as the 3. Any competition can be added in UDFA.

I'm not saying they will be dead set against taking a TE. I just don't think there will be a scenario where they choose TE over another position.

I would do the exact opposite of course but that's besides the point.

I'm putting this out there in March. Let's see if I'm reading this right.

Hardline

Reaction score
Mayer and Kincaid are the only two TEs 1st round worthy. Mayer is most likely off the board and if Kincaid is there with Bijan Robinson off the board I would take Kincaid in a heartbeat. But thats me. I'm sure you are right about what the Cowboys do.

ghst187

Reaction score
I don’t really think TE will be the pick. This FO is convinced they can get a TE in later rounds and they have regularly. We got a hof TE in the third. I also think they like our two a lot. I suspect we will pick one but not in one.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Awfully foolish if they don’t add one this year IMO.

It’s a loaded class and they can probably get someone that is a better prospect that Ferguson in the same round.

Sydla

Reaction score
With all the talk on TEs in this draft and whether we should take one in the 1st round or wait, I'm predicting the Cowboys don't draft a TE at all. I think they've fallen in love with the Ferguson/Hendershot combination and feel very comfortable with McKeon as the 3. Any competition can be added in UDFA.

I'm not saying they will be dead set against taking a TE. I just don't think there will be a scenario where they choose TE over another position.

If they don't sign a TB between now and draft, I predict they are hoping Robinson or Gibbs is there at 26.

tm1119

Reaction score
With McCarthy’s apparent “run the damn ball” mindset calling plays I can see a lot more 12 personnel planned for next year. I don’t think it’s by any means a sure thing, but I can definitely see a TE that fits their criteria (Mayer?) being enticing at 26. Obviously all depends how the board falls, but I wouldn’t eliminate TE as a possibility.

JBS

Reaction score

What is exactly are you reading to come to this conclusion ?

I’m with you totally in this subject. This is absolutely a fear of mine as well. And I don’t agree w this philosophy if this is the direction they go in. I, however, think they will take a TE in round 1

reddyuta

Reaction score
I am going to say the opposite if you will.I think they will pick a TE in the 1st 2 Rds.

RS12

Reaction score
It will be offense. Likely skill possibly possibly OL.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is exactly are you reading to come to this conclusion ?

I’m with you totally in this subject. This is absolutely a fear of mine as well. And I don’t agree w this philosophy if this is the direction they go in. I, however, think they will take a TE in round 1
Gut feeling on how they view their remaining TEs and also the fact that Schultz just signed a one year deal. It tells me the Cowboys truly were ready to move on. They don't feel they need him. I doubt they'd feel that way unless they are comfortable with what they already have. You can't count on what might be available in the draft.

JBS

Reaction score
Gut feeling on how they view their remaining TEs and also the fact that Schultz just signed a one year deal. It tells me the Cowboys truly were ready to move on. They don't feel they need him. I doubt they'd feel that way unless they are comfortable with what they already have. You can't count on what might be available in the draft.
Never underestimate how clever this franchise thinks they are

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
No TE at all is bold. Think they take one on day 3. But agreed I don’t think it’s a priority.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
I too am of the opinion that TE is not a huge priority. The Front Office has said more running, more complimentary football and MM is calling plays. I think the two young guys are serviceable enough to catch a few balls.

Truly believe Oline and RB are what the offense needs.

Just imagine the play action possibilities with our 3 WRs. All legit home run threats in well timed shots down the field.

Give me:
OG round 1 - unless Robinson falls in our lap. No massive trade ups.
RB round 2

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
That logic passes the sniff test. You could be right.

If I had to hazard a guess right now, I’d say I do think they draft one at some point in the draft. I’m not saying they’ll do so in the first round, but at some point in a deep TE class, I think they’ll get one.

I can see the board falling in such a way that they actually do pull the trigger on a first round TE, but their board would have to be wiped out and the right TE would have to be there.

Majic

Reaction score

I disagree with you on this one. I think they will have first round grades on at least 1 TE. I agree with you that this is not a position of need. But there are not that many positions that are. Jerry has always had this obsession with 'the weapon TE' . I suspect they would take a CB over a TE, but not much else. It helps Dak out as well. My guess 45% chance

Aven8

Reaction score
if Robinson is gone I think they take Gibbs. A swing pass to Gibbs has a chance to go all the way like Pollard.

JBS

Reaction score
I’m reading this the complete opposite way. Dallas already knows they’re taking a TE at 26. There was never going to be an offer for Schultz. Of course I could be wrong but that’s the sense that I have. I’m slowly starting to sense it’s going to be Musgrave at 26. Everything is pointing to that.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
In the last 30 years the Cowboys have picked these positions in the first round
6 DB's
6 LB's
5 DE's
4 OL's
2 WR's
2 RB's
1 TE
0 DT's
0 QB's

Now ask yourself what are the two biggest weaknesses on the offense and defense the last few years.

Last edited: