Cowboys draft predictions

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Positions most likely to be double dipped.

Defensive Tackle - They should be taking a long look at all the possibilities here and two is certainly possible.

RB - I wouldn't be surprised if we took 2. A legit back up for Zeke and insurance if he pulls a Laveon Bell s well as a change of pace back. Odds are we only take one but Rod Smith and Jackson both don't inspire me much.

WR - It is doubtful that they take two but I wouldn't be shocked. Losing Beasley(Most likely), Twill and Hurns(most likely) could mean two new adds. Ultimately, I think they draft one and we get a good look at Cedrick Wilson and there have already been a couple of minor signings at the position.

LB - Wilson is likely gone, Thomas could be cut to save some cash, March Liliard seems like a JAG and Lee might even be let go. I think Lee ends up taking a cut and we draft one for depth and see if Covington can develop.

Need most likely to be ignored.

Safety. Every year I want a safety and every year I am disappointed. This is a position I think they look to address in F.A. with a bigger name and I suspect there will be zero drafted.

OG- I don't even see this as a need. Every publication has it listed as a position of need and I don't see it. Fred coming back and Looney can play G, Sua Filo looks solid, Just drafted Wiliams with a premium pick last year. There are a couple of others under contract as well. II would think OT could see a pick.

The Surprise pick.

DE is not really a need if DLAW is re-signed but if the right one fell to pick 58 you never have enough.

OT at pick 58 could happen. It is not the route I would go but Collins is in the last year of his deal and Tron is aging rapidly. I think we have too many immediate pressing needs to use the 2nd rd pick on OT but I could see it happening.

Trade UP/Trade Down

Which is likelier to happen? With only 5 picks you would think that trading down for more picks would be more likely but if they are more active in F.A. than normal and feel like they are only a couple of pieces away, moving up could be the move.

The player most likely to be traded.

I say Jourdan Lewis. I think he could be a starter for a lot of teams but isn't what Richards prefers. We don't trade players very often but if we did this one would make sense.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I agree with Lewis.
If they can get a fourth for him (Raiders/Browns?), you have to do it.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Positions most likely to be double dipped.

Defensive Tackle - They should be taking a long look at all the possibilities here and two is certainly possible.

One early; one late sounds about right to me.

RB - I wouldn't be surprised if we took 2. A legit back up for Zeke and insurance if he pulls a Laveon Bell s well as a change of pace back. Odds are we only take one but Rod Smith and Jackson both don't inspire me much.
Two backs? I doubt that. I do think we will likely take one. Probably the long-anticipated Lance Dunbar replacement.

WR - It is doubtful that they take two but I wouldn't be shocked. Losing Beasley(Most likely), Twill and Hurns(most likely) could mean two new adds. Ultimately, I think they draft one and we get a good look at Cedrick Wilson and there have already been a couple of minor signings at the position.

Probably only one to replace Beasley. They may even go the FA route again.

LB - Wilson is likely gone, Thomas could be cut to save some cash, March Liliard seems like a JAG and Lee might even be let go. I think Lee ends up taking a cut and we draft one for depth and see if Covington can develop.

Another place where I would go cheap free agent. Don't forget about Joe Thomas. He might have seen the field more had he not got injured.

Safety. Every year I want a safety and every year I am disappointed. This is a position I think they look to address in F.A. with a bigger name and I suspect there will be zero drafted.

Get Thomas and that does not matter.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Is there an injured TE we could take in the 2nd?

That would knock out 2 birds with one stone.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Why? To do what? Turn around and have to spend at least a 4th to replace what he brings as depth?

He isn’t getting any PT. They can sign someone in FA to fill the position and draft an RB, WR or dlineman that can help immediately with that fourth.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't think there is much of a chance they bring in two TBs from the draft. Maybe a late round pick and then a UDFA or two.

Sydla

Reaction score
He isn’t getting any PT. They can sign someone in FA to fill the position and draft an RB, WR or dlineman that can help immediately with that fourth.

I doubt you are getting an immediate "help" type player, especially at a position of need, with a 4th round pick though. Yes, we landed Prescott in the 4th but that's pretty rare.

I'd rather keep Lewis as the 4th CB as insurance.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I doubt you are getting an immediate "help" type player, especially at a position of need, with a 4th round pick though. Yes, we landed Prescott in the 4th but that's pretty rare.

I'd rather keep Lewis as the 4th CB as insurance.

Brown, Woods, Dak, Hitchens, Beas, etc...

I know you can’t count on it, but there are some quality players to be had in the mounds. Just gotta find em.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
It would be a dumb trade. If Richard can't use a player of that caliber than maybe he shouldn't be running this defense.
The fact is he is running the defense, and Lewis doesn’t fit what he is looking for.
Sign an FA who does, move the asset get something for him now help your team somewhere else.
I like Lewis, but to not move him is a bad idea. Firstly he can still can get you a decent return now, maybe not next year and if not he could cause locker room issues if he starts to complain.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact is he is running the defense, and Lewis doesn’t fit what he is looking for.
Sign an FA who does, move the asset get something for him now help your team somewhere else.
I like Lewis, but to not move him is a bad idea. Firstly he can still can get you a decent return now, maybe not next year and if not he could cause locker room issues if he starts to complain.

I'd say it's a bad idea to have a guy running your defense that makes a quality cover corner like Lewis a spare part.

I'd sooner get rid of Richard than give away Lewis for a 4th round pick.

DanA

Reaction score
I'd say it's a bad idea to have a guy running your defense that makes a quality cover corner like Lewis a spare part.

I'd sooner get rid of Richard than give away Lewis for a 4th round pick.

I don't get this at all.

Lewis has done nothing, he's not quick, he's short and got targeted on the back shoulder fade which paid dividends for the opposition. What makes him a "quality cover corner".

And Richard made us the 4th ranked passing defense in the league. Dallas were considered as a pretty terrible secondary prior to the season, suddenly Woods and Chido are developing and Jones is a pro-bowler. You put a guy like Earl Thomas in the group and we might be the best secondary in the league.

I'd definitely take a 4th for Lewis, I don't think anybody would give us that though.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I don't get this at all.

Lewis has done nothing, he's not quick, he's short and got targeted on the back shoulder fade which paid dividends for the opposition. What makes him a "quality cover corner".

And Richard made us the 4th ranked passing defense in the league. Dallas were considered as a pretty terrible secondary prior to the season, suddenly Woods and Chido are developing and Jones is a pro-bowler. You put a guy like Earl Thomas in the group and we might be the best secondary in the league.

I'd definitely take a 4th for Lewis, I don't think anybody would give us that though.

As an outside corner he's overmatched because of height-weight-speed, but I think Lewis can play inside just fine. He was a big part of our gameplan vs the Saints when we asked him to man up on Kamara for most of the game, and he hung with him very well.

I think his ceiling is as a nickel, but for a 4th rounder, you aren't likely to get anything better than another nickel CB anyway, so I don't think dealing him really helps improve our team. I'm fine rolling with him until his rookie contract is up.

Agreed that Richard is the best secondary coach in the business. Seattle liked to draft raw mid round height-weight-speed CBs and have Richard mold them into Seahawks type press corners, and he was able to turn them into contributors more often than not. I'd like to see the team throw him a bone on draft day, because I think he could make the most of it.