Twitter: Cowboys extend Demarcus Lawrence

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I don't get it, can Dak even sign an extension this year?
He can't sign until after the season, but that doesn't mean they don't have a ballpark of what it's going to cost. Heck, they could negotiate it whenever they want, they just can't sign him during the season because of the franchise tag rules.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Any team that can get themselves into good cap shape for next year should be able to benefit from other teams having to cut players they normally wouldnt.

If Jerry has no issue ponying up the cash up front, this all makes perfect sense to do for guys that are going to be here anyway.

I realize this may be a Dak thing, but if they can reach a long term agreement they can manipulate the cap figure to be lower in the beginning....if by chance they finally decide to go for it.

Sydla

Reaction score
That's a good question. My first thought was that there are restrictions on tagged players but I don't really know.

He can't sign a new contract until the end of 2020 season.

So as I said above, all this contract stuff is basically clearing space that they can roll over to 2021 to help compensate for the potential decrease in cap space for that season. This likely would have happened even if we had signed Dak long term.

John813

Reaction score
I don't get it, can Dak even sign an extension this year?

Not till the offseason begins for Dallas.
However, they are freeing up cap now to rollover into 2021 cap space calculations.
Each guy being restructured will cost more over the lifetime of their remaining years(the money being saved now gets distributed equally over the remaining years on deal), but short term it frees up cap space

Darkhound

Reaction score
Are we sure this is for DAK... coincidentally. JJ Daughter just praised DAK on social media

Proof

Reaction score
stephen didn't mess up at all last year. he needed to get jaylon and la'el signed and did so. earlier he signed zeke. then cooper for another 20 million before the draft. there just wasn't enough of the pie left for dak to get signed. he's already taking the measures necessary to get it done next year, assuming no career ending injury for dak. just can't understand why so many don't get it. why they continue to blame stephen as if he doesn't know what he's doing. by tagging dak they already knew how he would count against the cap this year and worked around it. well, actually i do understand why some don't get it. but it would be rude to say why.

Didn’t need to sign Jaylon or Zeke. They were both paid early. Not to mention the opportunity cost of not signing Dak while every other notable qb is driving the market up, while the tag(s) are creating an artificial floor / leverage point in negotiations. It’s been bungled at every turn

Hoofbite

Reaction score
It's for rollover purposes for the 2021 cap year.

If you need the cap space in 2021, you can restructure in 2021. Restructuring for the purposes of just rolling it over is likely one of the worst strategies of all time. Worse than restructuring in an attempt to load up or avoid cutting players, just like Dallas used to do.

Sydla

Reaction score
If they hadn't lost McCoy, cutting Crawford would have also made sense as you get more cap benefit in 2021 cutting him now than just letting his contract expire at the end of this year. But McCoy's injury screwed that up.

cern

Reaction score
If you think Stephen and the Cowboys have done a good job with this, I respectfully disagree.
i think they've done an outstanding job signing keys to the team's future success. and you are more than free to disagree. i typically like your posts. but for the sake of conversation, could you state why you dont think stephen's done a good job getting players signed. what he might have one to get dak signed long term this year.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Looks like Jerry and Stephen have realized that they messed up. Time to clear the space now and show Dak that they are serious about keeping him around.

This is exactly the kind of post that stirs up a bunch of BS. Why even do it? I don't get it.......

Sydla

Reaction score
If you need the cap space in 2021, you can restructure in 2021. Restructuring for the purposes of just rolling it over is likely one of the worst strategies of all time. Worse than restructuring in an attempt to load up or avoid cutting players, just like Dallas used to do.

How so? Explain your reasoning.

cern

Reaction score
If they hadn't lost McCoy, cutting Crawford would have also made sense as you get more cap benefit in 2021 cutting him now than just letting his contract expire at the end of this year. But McCoy's injury screwed that up.
clearly they had an inkling mccoy might end up being cut due to injury and wisely put the waiver clause in his contract. another smart move by stephen.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Not really.

They were always going to have to clear cap space even if they had signed Dak a few months ago. With the new cap number teams are now trying to get ahead of this stuff by increasing their roll over numbers. Other teams are doing this as well. Philly restructured Lane Johnson, for example, a couple of days ago.

Exactly.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They still could have and should have made him take a paycut. No rotational player is worth a $9.1 million cap hit.

They could have easily saved $5 million or more with him, even if they wanted to keep him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
clearly they had an inkling mccoy might end up being cut due to injury and wisely put the waiver clause in his contract. another smart move by stephen.

Is it? How much have they paid him for zero meaningful snaps?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those hating the idea of paying Dak...

giphy.gif

Those who are thrilled at paying Dak...

giphy.gif

The rest of us...

giphy.gif