Cowboys eyeing Texas' linemen yesterday...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
According to John Radigan on ESPN 103, the Cowboys paid little attention to VY at the Texas Pro Day... they were all at the end of the field watching the OL's and DL's...

Woods

Reaction score
trickblue said:
According to John Radigan on ESPN 103, the Cowboys paid little attention to VY at the Texas Pro Day... they were all at the end of the field watching the OL's and DL's...

It seems that R. Wright, for example, has really slipped in the mocks I've been reading.

Any idea why? I thought at one point last season (when they were projecting the 2006 Draft), this guy was a consensus top 20 pick?

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
trickblue said:

Scott and Wright. 2nd and 3rd round picks. I'm worried they are paying so much attention to Scott. He is a classic underachiever and should NO WAY be picked in the 1st round.

HardHittin'Witten

This ain't Madden
Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
Scott and Wright. 2nd and 3rd round picks. I'm worried they are paying so much attention to Scott. He is a classic underachiever and should NO WAY be picked in the 1st round.

I don't think they'll pick Scott in the 1st round.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:

Why is Scott an underachiever? I haven't heard that negative about him before. I have heard it about Wright on the defensive side of the ball.

gbrittain

Reaction score
I would love Rod Wright in the second. Several Texas lineman have performed quite well in Shaun Rogers and Casey Hampton.

I would be inclined to say Rod Wright has every bit the upside those guys had coming into the draft.

joseephuss

Reaction score
gbrittain said:
I would love Rod Wright in the second. Several Texas lineman have performed quite well in Shaun Rogers and Casey Hampton.

I would be inclined to say Rod Wright has every bit the upside those guys had coming into the draft.

He is very talented. Hampton is built like a 3-4 nose guard. Rogers gets to play in a 4-3. I don't see Wright as a 3-4 nose guard. He seems more suited for the 4-3. I wouldn't be opposed to him being a Cowboy. I just think he is better suited for the 4-3 scheme.

gbrittain

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
He is very talented. Hampton is built like a 3-4 nose guard. Rogers gets to play in a 4-3. I don't see Wright as a 3-4 nose guard. He seems more suited for the 4-3. I wouldn't be opposed to him being a Cowboy. I just think he is better suited for the 4-3 scheme.

Yeah, I can not say I disagree with your assessment. He is a bit tall at 6' 5" and weighs somewhere around 300. I think he could add some weight, but it might be asking too much.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Why is Scott an underachiever? I haven't heard that negative about him before. I have heard it about Wright on the defensive side of the ball.

Weak, inconsistant, lacks motivation. Anything else?

lkelly

Reaction score
Other than Wright and Scott, does Texas have any other linemen who might rate draft consideration?

joseephuss

Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
Weak, inconsistant, lacks motivation. Anything else?

I hadn't heard any of those negatives about the guy. He was a 4 year starter and played both tackle spots. Started on the right to protect Simm's blind side and then moved to the left tackle spot. I just don't see underachiever. He is the best tackle? No, but it isn't because of underacheiving.

joseephuss

Reaction score
lkelly said:
Other than Wright and Scott, does Texas have any other linemen who might rate draft consideration?

Will Allen at guard. Later round pick.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Woods said:
It seems that R. Wright, for example, has really slipped in the mocks I've been reading.

Any idea why? I thought at one point last season (when they were projecting the 2006 Draft), this guy was a consensus top 20 pick?

I dont know much about Rodrique Wright, but you couldnt prove it to me that he actually played in the national championship game. The USC guard with the funny name was mauling him.

lkelly

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Will Allen at guard. Later round pick.

Isn't there a cap on the number of Will Allens in the league as part of the new CBA?

lkelly

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO said:
I dont know much about Rodrique Wright, but you couldnt prove it to me that he actually played in the national championship game. The USC guard with the funny name was mauling him.

I'm not sure that any defensive lineman participated in that game. There was absolutely no pass rush on either side.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
I hadn't heard any of those negatives about the guy. He was a 4 year starter and played both tackle spots. Started on the right to protect Simm's blind side and then moved to the left tackle spot. I just don't see underachiever. He is the best tackle? No, but it isn't because of underacheiving.

Supposed to be dominating, but would have gotten beat a bunch if not for VY athleticism. Not even as good as Mike WIlliams was in college, and we know how good he turned out to be. Lousy footwork, gets away with things because he is a good athlete.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I thought I remember reading something about J Scott saying he spent almost this whole offseason working out with Flozelle Adams...cant remember where, but I am sure I saw it

I wouldnt take Scott in round 1 and probably wouldnt in 2 where we pick, but if he's there in rd 3 when we pick he'd be a good value I think...could get stronger and add some bulk, and has the feet to play LT and can play RT as well..he has more physical talent than any of he other Cowboy backup OL's

David