Cowboys fixing big Mazi Smith mistake from 2023 as Mike Zimmer arrives

zekecowboy

Reaction score

Cowboys fixing massive Mazi Smith mistake from 2023 as Mike Zimmer arrives

Bryan Broaddus of 105.3 The Fan noted on "The Draft Show" podcast that Dallas is having Smith put weight back on to convert back to a true nose tackle. That's the position Smith was drafted to play, which made the weight loss request downright impossible to comprehend.

That is music to Cowboys fans' ears. Zimmer's arrival seems to already be paying dividends for Smith's career. As an interior defensive lineman, the former Wolverine is a much better fit in Zimmer's scheme relative to Dan Quinn's.

Toward the end of the 2023 season, Smith looked smaller than most of Dallas' defensive linemen, including their edge rushers. It was shocking to the eye considering Smith was drafted at 327 pounds. He went from one of the strongest players in the draft to a player who routinely got pushed off the ball and couldn't handle double teams.

See link for Mazzi Smith 800 lb lift weight:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Nobody knows for sure if Mazi Smith will be able to recover from his less than positive production in 2023. It surely remains to be seen if a 2024 return to his former weight helps him to make up for last year's problems. Gotta say, I feel sorry for the bad situation he was put into last year. DQ blew it.

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
As an interior defensive lineman, the former Wolverine is a much better fit in Zimmer's scheme relative to Dan Quinn's.
What's crazy about this .......

****Toco was Marinelli's pick and he was fired a year later

**** Mazi Smith was Quinn's pick and a year later, he took another job

Stop trusting defensive coordinators with our 1st round picks......

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Zimmer won't fix anything. If he could, he would have been worth a damn when here before 20 years ago, and would have accomplished something of note with the Vikings. He's the perfect Cowboys hire - familiar and comfortable, has never been a champion at the NFL level, and is guaranteed to not accomplish anything of note.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

Cowboys fixing massive Mazi Smith mistake from 2023 as Mike Zimmer arrives

Bryan Broaddus of 105.3 The Fan noted on "The Draft Show" podcast that Dallas is having Smith put weight back on to convert back to a true nose tackle. That's the position Smith was drafted to play, which made the weight loss request downright impossible to comprehend.

That is music to Cowboys fans' ears. Zimmer's arrival seems to already be paying dividends for Smith's career. As an interior defensive lineman, the former Wolverine is a much better fit in Zimmer's scheme relative to Dan Quinn's.

Toward the end of the 2023 season, Smith looked smaller than most of Dallas' defensive linemen, including their edge rushers. It was shocking to the eye considering Smith was drafted at 327 pounds. He went from one of the strongest players in the draft to a player who routinely got pushed off the ball and couldn't handle double teams.

See link for Mazzi Smith 800 lb lift weight:

Honestly, I'd much prefer having Quinn over Zimmer any day. Zimmer just fits the mold of another one of Jerry’s yes-men, too comfortable to sit back and not make a wave unless Jerry gives the nod. What’s expected of him really? Nothing groundbreaking or innovative about his defensive strategies.

It’s clear as day that both Quinn and Zimmer are just marionettes dancing on Jerry Jones' strings. Jerry will do whatever pleases him, and these yes-men will nod along, pretending it's the next big strategy. I’d wager Quinn would find himself way better off in Washington than sticking around in Dallas. The Cowboys have become an absolute farce – underpaying their coaches, underpaying their players, sitting idle in free agency, all the while boasting about being “all in.” Their actions, or the lack thereof, scream the opposite. Jerry Jones has single-handedly dragged this once storied franchise through the mud, making it the NFL’s punchline.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Another Will McClay dud...............all Mazi is good for is getting pushed around.
I'll be honest, when I saw him out there EARLY in pre season and I saw this happening, the bashing I took oh my gosh!!!! Turned out that as the season went on, people saw for themselves!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Zimmer won't fix anything. If he could, he would have been worth a damn when here before 20 years ago, and would have accomplished something of note with the Vikings. He's the perfect Cowboys hire - familiar and comfortable, has never been a champion at the NFL level, and is guaranteed to not accomplish anything of note.
Best post of your career!!!! Truth!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd much prefer having Quinn over Zimmer any day. Zimmer just fits the mold of another one of Jerry’s yes-men, too comfortable to sit back and not make a wave unless Jerry gives the nod. What’s expected of him really? Nothing groundbreaking or innovative about his defensive strategies.

It’s clear as day that both Quinn and Zimmer are just marionettes dancing on Jerry Jones' strings. Jerry will do whatever pleases him, and these yes-men will nod along, pretending it's the next big strategy. I’d wager Quinn would find himself way better off in Washington than sticking around in Dallas. The Cowboys have become an absolute farce – underpaying their coaches, underpaying their players, sitting idle in free agency, all the while boasting about being “all in.” Their actions, or the lack thereof, scream the opposite. Jerry Jones has single-handedly dragged this once storied franchise through the mud, making it the NFL’s punchline.
Yes men, but notice how they have to keep on hyping him up as a TOUGH GUY who will get in your face etc etc just ask Darren Woodson lol

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll be honest, when I saw him out there EARLY in pre season and I saw this happening, the bashing I took oh my gosh!!!! Turned out that as the season went on, people saw for themselves!!
Will McClay LOL................Enough said.
Wonder where Bossman fat is these days?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
My hope is one that allows for whatever Zimmer is able to do with his players, rather than dealing with Jerry. Jerry can and will do whatever it takes to keep his coaches under control -- that's just how he rolls. If Zimmer is able to get his players to give their all, that's about all that might be expected. Dealing with Jerry is another matter entirely. He can and will do whatever it takes to keep the coaches under his thumb. That's just the reality of it.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe they were trying improve Smiths quickness to help him reach the point of contact sooner. NFL speed is a different animal.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Maybe they were trying improve Smiths quickness to help him reach the point of contact sooner. NFL speed is a different animal.
Possible. Its weird with Mazi. Its like his mental processing speed is slow. The snap will go and he will be the last guy to move. That's not weight but someone seems to have blamed it on the weight.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Possible. Its weird with Mazi. Its like his mental processing speed is slow. The snap will go and he will be the last guy to move. That's not weight but someone seems to have blamed it on the weight.
It's not totally weight, you're right but I think Quinn was working on getting leverage.
He probably would have let him put on the weight as he became more explosive.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
His defenses were consistently in the top 5-10 of the league. What are you griping about???