Twitter: Cowboys Franchise Tag Schultz

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You are not comparing him to Andrews or Kelce, are you?

Anyone who watched the games knows that Schultz's statistical year was directly a result of the offense becoming a total disaster in the back half of the year. Teams were leaving Schultz wide open. He would catch the ball, and fall down right where he caught it.

Do doubt, the guy had a nice year but pretending that he is a franchise tag guy is absolutely ridiculous.

Here is a question I would ask everyone. Yes Schultz was your top target for much of the year, but how good was the offense with that being the case? Down right awful.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
how about Evan Engram for a backup TE and perhaps we can replace Jarwin with Engram. he was a first round pick so talent/skill is there, but then again he played in NY.....

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have not read through all the posts yet. Probably will just skim through some in a bit.

I was never a big fan of drafting Shultz at the time they did. Was never a big fan, but kind of got to where I thought he was decent.
I feel this is a panic move to tag him, just as I did when they drafted him.

Yet another possible mistake by the FO. I say possible, because who knows, maybe he improves to be worth the tag, as he has improved lately. However, no way should they pay over this.
Still need to draft a TE.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A TE that can't block is called a WR.....I would have rather kept Cooper
The cost is twice as high and Cooper was behind Schultz on targets and Cooper is an excellent route runner. What does that tell you?

It also became apparent Cooper was not Prescott's favorite WR target, not even sure he was 2nd when Gallup was in.

I think Prescott is being asked about these receivers and which feel critical to him. Cooper took a shot at Prescott during the season about being open, which he was, and Prescott didn't like that. Did you notice that when Beasley made that same comment they let him walk? The QB is the Anointed One.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The cost is twice as high and Cooper was behind Schultz on targets and Cooper is an excellent route runner. What does that tell you?

It also became apparent Cooper was not Prescott's favorite WR target, not even sure he was 2nd when Gallup was in.

I think Prescott is being asked about these receivers and which feel critical to him. Cooper took a shot at Prescott during the season about being open, which he was, and Prescott didn't like that. Did you notice that when Beasley made that same comment they let him walk? The QB is the Anointed One.
TEs like Schultz are a dime a dozen. Cooper is a special talent.....anyone that knows football can see that

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
You would rather sign an injury riddled/broken Gronk who will only play for Brady? You serious?

Yall act like Schultz is trash. Plus this is more of a place holder until a real number is reached.

Relax.
If Jerry called, he'd say no? Doubtful. I'd say he still better. We'll agree to disagree here.

Schultz is about to be paid like a top 5 TE. Even if it is for one year, it's too much.

And no, I don't hate him. I find it disturbing that he's prioritized over our bona-fide WR1 and Tank.

OJ Howard is out there, is young and will be cheaper. Would rather that.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Im fine with this. Seems reasonable for a guy who had the highest QB/WR QBR combo in the league. He’s a WR really so there you go.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Anyone who watched the games knows that Schultz's statistical year was directly a result of the offense becoming a total disaster in the back half of the year. Teams were leaving Schultz wide open. He would catch the ball, and fall down right where he caught it.

Do doubt, the guy had a nice year but pretending that he is a franchise tag guy is absolutely ridiculous.

Here is a question I would ask everyone. Yes Schultz was your top target for much of the year, but how good was the offense with that being the case? Down right awful.
that's incorrect. he was 6th among TE in YAC. most of his production came in the first half of the year and he actually didn't do as well when the offense started to sputter.

his productin in first 6 games was 60/gm, vs. 39/gm in last 11 after offense struggled.

and I did say, he is not a great TE, but he is good, probably tops in that second tier. I just don't want us to lose cooper and schultz. if he plays under tag for one year, then so be it. its probably couple of million per year we are arguing about, so I rather go in with a known quantity, than go with McKeon as our top TE.

so its not that is he worth to be franchise guy, but it gives us options and we can walk away if need be. we have until july 15th to decide.

Last edited:

kumizi

Reaction score
Cowboys were in desperation mode at TE. I dont think he's that great but as long as it's only a year, I'm not going to cry about it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If Jarwin had not reinjured himself I have a feeling Schultz probably would have been out the door. That injury changed everything and meant that Schultz was the only tight end on the roster with any meaningful playing time/ NFL impact.

That being said I do not agree with tagging him. It is a strange move that says "win now" while the rest of the moves they have been making thus far say "retool for the next few years". The lack of coherent strategy by this front office continues to amaze me. This was the year to cut loose ether Cooper OR Tank (not both) to gain massive savings against the cap, restructure a few deals (Dak's 15 million switch on his contract as much as it pains me to say) and push the chips in. To win you have to accept some level of risk. We see this every year with the teams that win the Superbowl. They don't just sit on their hands and say "We like our guys" every season. This team has been massively risk averse for the last 2 decades and look at what has happened. It is time to try something different.
Jarwin sucked. he had the opportunity and didn't step up. schultz got the opportunity and he did.

NotForLong

Reaction score

:hammer:

Reactions: CWR

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Look up and let me know what Schultz stats are on YAC compared to other TE in the NFL and the Cowboy’s WR. I think you may be surprised or, more accurately, poorly informed.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
TEs like Schultz are a dime a dozen. Cooper is a special talent.....anyone that knows football can see that
cooper is not a top 15 WR, but top 2 paid.

schultz is not dime a dozen. he is not franchise, I don't disagree, but to lose schultz and cooper in one off season is tough, specially if McKeon is your top TE on the roster. so you pay 2-3M extra, but at least you don't create a need until your fiture out what to do. so IMHO its a smart move to buy us time.

and schultz is top TE in that second tier of TEs. he cashed in on opportunities he was given. defenses didn't game plan around him, but had to account for him and make sure he is in the defensive game plan.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
With Jarwin’s injury and Cooper as good as gone the Cowboys couldn’t afford to lose Schultz. He and Cooper led the team with 8 TD receptions. His blocking is an issue but he’s developed into a very good receiving TE.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score

I blame Dak and KM for Coop getting like 4-5 targets a game. Coop is easily a top 3 rout runner and he's always open. Makes me scratch my head when he isn't hit on time in stride when he's open.

I'm yet to see a CB lock him up. The problem is the scheme (KM) and Dak's ability to quickly read defenses IMO.

We saw in the KC game how bad this team looked on offense without Coop. Schultz and Cee Dee benefitted from the CB1 coverage Coop draws every game.

We about to find out if Cee Dee is WR1 ready. I hope he is.

Reactions: CWR