Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I hope Shultz signs the tag and sticks it to us. That would be funny

John813

Reaction score
Underrated: Dalton Schultz
2021 team: Cowboys | Age entering 2022 season: 26

Schultz is arguably the best tight end available in free agency, as he's coming off a season in which he was the sixth-highest-graded and third-most-valuable tight end in the NFL. Schultz is good at finding soft spots in zone, doesn't have an extensive injury history, adds value after the catch, wins at the catch point and holds his own in the run game. He ranked sixth or higher at the position last year in drop rate (3.4%), contested catch rate (63.2%, 12/19) and broken tackles after the catch (13). If Dallas is forced to let him walk, a team like Tennessee makes a lot of sense as a landing spot.

Was reading an ESPN Insider article and found this.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey buddy, take a look here: https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-te.php . As you can see, his YAC per reception is significantly below the elite guys (Kittle , Kelce, etc) and falls into the extremely average bin.

I'm not trying to rag on the player, I think he's pretty good, but in all reality he is pretty much a JAG. He has no standout qualities and I almost guarantee that the front office will significantly overpay him.

I think you might be the one who is uninformed ;)
Ha ha. Yeah he’s below the top two TE in the nfl. If you look again at your link, he is slightly above average in YAC for a TE. He’s also ahead of the number 1 TE- Andrews. Stats aren’t at all what you described him like as ‘falling down where he caught the ball’. He can make guys miss and that is one reason he had 7 tds.

btw I definitely don’t think he is elite. He can’t beat a double team and I don’t see him making that many catches in traffic. But the market for a good receiving TE is 10-12m right now. We need one, dak likes him and there isn’t another option. It’s really not that difficult a decision.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Underrated: Dalton Schultz
2021 team: Cowboys | Age entering 2022 season: 26

Schultz is arguably the best tight end available in free agency, as he's coming off a season in which he was the sixth-highest-graded and third-most-valuable tight end in the NFL. Schultz is good at finding soft spots in zone, doesn't have an extensive injury history, adds value after the catch, wins at the catch point and holds his own in the run game. He ranked sixth or higher at the position last year in drop rate (3.4%), contested catch rate (63.2%, 12/19) and broken tackles after the catch (13). If Dallas is forced to let him walk, a team like Tennessee makes a lot of sense as a landing spot.

Was reading an ESPN Insider article and found this.
Yeah pretty accurate description of him. Although most would say he doesn’t hold his own

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Because Schultz lives in Dak's dump off zone, while Cooper is unseen running down the field. In other words, Schultz is great and Cooper is lazy with a bad attitude.
Go watch Cooper in the 49ers game. Tell me what you see.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This would have been a better option.

I disagree. He's been a disappointment his whole career, his numbers have been declining, his hands are very spotty (61% catch % compared to Schultz 73%), and despite him supposedly being a fast TE his ypc isn't much better than Schultz. Engram appears to be one of those players that people always think should be very good, but they just never get there.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree. He's been a disappointment his whole career, his numbers have been declining, his hands are very spotty (61% catch % compared to Schultz 73%), and despite him supposedly being a fast TE his ypc isn't much better than Schultz. Engram appears to be one of those players that people always think should be very good, but they just never get there.

Yeah, thanks. No. Put him in the Cowboys offense and his numbers rise. Put Schultz on the Giants and his numbers shrink.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, thanks. No. Put him in the Cowboys offense and his numbers rise. Put Schultz on the Giants and his numbers shrink.
He had 109 targets in 2020 and 182 the last 2 years. Schultz has only had 11 more targets the last 2 years. And opportunity wouldn't explain away the difference in catch % anyway.