Cowboys have talked with Chris Johnson on two occasions

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
StylisticS;1925704 said:
Hilarious, isn't it. I do not understand why we must tear down Charles to talk up other backs. Look, he struggled at the beginning of the season. But he improved dramatically towards the end of the season. He is one of the fastest backs in this draft. He has fumbling problems. But from the looks of Chris Johnson profile (who I also like alot), he does as well. A dozen or ten backs? I'd like to for people to name those dozen or ten backs better than Charles. Also, if he is a step below Johnson. He's not that far behind him.
Darren McFadden
Tashard Choice
Jonathan Stewart
Felix Jones
Rashard Mendenhall
Chris Johnson
Ray Rice
Kevin Smith
Mike Hart
Matt Forte

There's 10 I'd take over him. Maybe even Steve Slaton too.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Rack;1925881 said:
I said there were 10 better backs then Charles and I didn't even talk up any other RB.

There goes your twisted theory.

Jamaal Charles is a hyped up version of Tyson Thompson.

My comment was not towards you but in general. I did not single out anyone with that comment. So I didn't twist any theory whatsoever.

StylisticS

Reaction score
theogt;1925883 said:
Darren McFadden
Tashard Choice
Jonathan Stewart
Felix Jones
Rashard Mendenhall
Chris Johnson
Ray Rice
Kevin Smith
Mike Hart
Matt Forte

We all have opinions. But I think Jamaal Charles is every bit as good as Chris Johnson, Ray Rice, and Kevin Smith. Now I wouldn't put him in the class with McFadden, Stewart, Mendenhall, Hart, or Jones. But I think he's in that tier below them which would be a 3rd or 4th rounder. Guess we have to wait until the combines.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
StylisticS;1925896 said:
We all have opinions. But I think Jamaal Charles is every bit as good as Chris Johnson, Ray Rice, and Kevin Smith. Now I wouldn't put him in the class with McFadden, Stewart, Mendenhall, Hart, or Jones. But I think he's in that tier below them which would be a 3rd or 4th rounder. Guess we have to wait until the combines.

What do the combines have to do with anything? They have never EVER shown who a better football player is. They only show who is faster, quicker, jumps higher, etc...

Emmitt Smith in his prime would get OWNED at the underwear olympics, but there isn't a RB in this draft that can hold his jock as a football player.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Rack;1925486 said:
Yes, someone has a differing opinion than yours so they must be haters or clueless.

Grow up, SB. You're too old to act like a moron.

Coming from you, that's precious... you're every bit as quick to jump in somebody's face when you disagree with their opinion...

Fact-- Charles ranked 10th in the NCAA in rushing yards per game this year... ahead of him were 2 underclassmen who will be back for another year in 08, meaning he ranked 8th among Division I running back who are available in this draft... his draft rankings put him ahead of two of those eight backs, on virtually every board I've seen-- Matt Forte and Michael Hart... his yards per carry average ranked him second among those top 8 running backs, behind only Rashard Mendenhall...

Fact-- I can't find any draft site that currently rates Charles as low as 10th in this draft among the RBs... NFL Draft Countdown has him rated 7th, NFL Draft Scout has him rated 6th, Consensus Draft Services has him rated 7th, Draft Board Insider has him rated 4th, Draft Ace has him rated 4th, Football's Future ranks him 9th, NFL Draft Dog ranks him 6th, Walter's Football Site rates him the 9th best RB in this class...

That's no fewer than 8 different draft websites, ALL of them disagreeing with the notion that there are 10 better running backs in this draft than Jamaal Charles... I happen to agree that he's not one of the top 5 running backs in this class, but that's mostly a testimony to how talented and deep this group of running backs is...

IOW, Rack, no matter how highly you esteem your abilities as a talent evaluator, your take on Jamaal Charles is very much out of the mainstream... so once again, I assert that anybody who tries to tell you that there are ten better running backs available in this draft than Jamaal Charles is either completely clueless, or indulging in witless Horns hatred... you'll have to answer for yourself which is the case here...

silverbear

Reaction score
Rack;1925881 said:
:rolleyes:

I said there were 10 better backs then Charles and I didn't even talk up any other RB.

There goes your twisted theory.

Jamaal Charles is a hyped up version of Tyson Thompson.

Gee, when did Tyson ever run for 1600 yards in college?? When did he ever average 6.2 yards per carry for his college career?? When did he run for over 3000 yards for his career, or score 39 TDs, or catch 49 passes??

Tyson Thompson never did anything CLOSE to what Jamaal Charles did in college, and he didn't play at as high a level of competition as Charles did... your comparison is beyond ASININE here... the ONLY thing the two have in common is straight line speed; Charles is far less straight-line, far more effective cutting, than Thompson ever was...

silverbear

Reaction score
theogt;1925883 said:
Darren McFadden
Tashard Choice
Jonathan Stewart
Felix Jones
Rashard Mendenhall
Chris Johnson
Ray Rice
Kevin Smith
Mike Hart
Matt Forte

Nobody with a lick of sense would take Hart or Forte or Choice over Charles...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
silverbear;1925912 said:
Nobody with a lick of sense would take Hart or Forte or Choice over Charles...

THere you go again with the moronic comments.

I'm not as high on Choice as most around here, but he IS better theN Charles and will be a better Pro.

The only knock on Hart is his ability to stay healthy.

Get off Charles' jock, SB. You're weighing him down.

silverbear

Reaction score
Rack;1925920 said:
THere you go again with the moronic comments.

I'm not as high on Choice as most around here, but he IS better theN Charles and will be a better Pro.

Well, let's see-- Charles has played in 33 games, has 533 carries for 3328 yards and 36 TDs, a 6.2 yards per carry average... he has 49 receptions, for 539 yards and 3 more TDs, an 11.0 yards per catch average...

Choice has played in 13 more games, and has just 137 more yards rushing (3465 yards), for 28 TDs, a 5.0 yards per carry average... so he averaged 15.2 carries per game, compared to Jamaal's 16.1 carries per game, but has averaged only 75.3 yards per game compared to Jamaal's 100.9 yards per game... Tashard has 51 catches in those 46 games, for 288 yards and 0 TDs, a 7.0 yards per catch average... so he averaged 7.0 yards per catch....

So Choice is "better", but Charles averages more yards rushing per game (while averaging all of a half carry a game more), higher yards per carry average, more receptions per game, more yards receiving per game, and has more TDs per game...

So tell me, based on what exactly do you make the claim that Choice is "better" than Jamaal Charles?? What kind of funky curve are you grading on here?? I can tell you that none of the draft websites I've seen has Choice graded ahead of Charles...

So if there are moronic comments being made here, it ain't this ol' Bear making them... my opinions, unlike yours, are supported by FACTS...

silverbear

Reaction score
On a completely unrelated note, Rack, is that pic in your sig your Charger as it currently looks, or just your goal for how it's going to look??

If it's a current pic of your ride, it's coming along quite nicely... IIRC, it's got the 383 in it, right??

QT

Reaction score
Choice looks okay in that video vs Notre Dame. That CJ kid is damn fast. I have a feeling his stock might rise after the combine. Remember another fast college player the Cowboys drafted in the 2nd round? Alexander Wright out of Auburn with 4.19 speed. ;) I'm on the CJ bandwagon.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
silverbear;1925939 said:
On a completely unrelated note, Rack, is that pic in your sig your Charger as it currently looks, or just your goal for how it's going to look??

If it's a current pic of your ride, it's coming along quite nicely... IIRC, it's got the 383 in it, right??

Not my charger. It's my charger's inspiration. :D

Mine will have a 440 in it (it's almost built). I've got a 383 in the garage that I pulled from it, but I'm just looking to get rid of it.

I'll respond to the Charles/Choice comment later. Too tired right now.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Rack;1925486 said:
Yes, someone has a differing opinion than yours so they must be haters

Isn't that the standard message board etiquette?

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Now that he is out of the Senior Bowl, we just might be able to nab him in the 2nd round, but I do believe we would need to move up to do so. He would not last until our 2nd round selection.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Chris Johnson is the kid I targeted as my wishlist RB for Dallas to replace Jones with about 4 months ago.

If this kid winds up falling into our laps I'll be so happy. My worry, however, is that once he runs the high 40 time, that he's supposedly able to run (Last I read he's ran a 4.28 40 time in the past) he might actually jump up the draft boards a lot, simply because of that kind of blazing speed.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;1926290 said:
Chris Johnson is the kid I targeted as my wishlist RB for Dallas to replace Jones with about 4 months ago.

If this kid winds up falling into our laps I'll be so happy. My worry, however, is that once he runs the high 40 time, that he's supposedly able to run (Last I read he's ran a 4.28 40 time in the past) he might actually jump up the draft boards a lot, simply because of that kind of blazing speed.

Unless he injures himself or has a series of poor workouts, he will be at least a late first round choice, no question about it.

Speed like he supposedly has will not be ignored until the second round. If a players like Napoleon Kaufman, John Avery and Michael Bennett were late first round choices, then he will be.

fortdick

Reaction score
Woods;1924729 said:
SO, the guys we have shown interest in include

WR E Doucet

I am not sure I would want a guy with a name that makes me think of feminine hygiene. Too much opportuntiy for ridicule and comparison.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Yeah, see, that is my fear. He's going to run so damn fast that he's going to go from a mid-second rounder (Where we could move up and snag him) to a late first rounder where we'd have to use a first on him.

fortdick

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;1926322 said:
Yeah, see, that is my fear. He's going to run so damn fast that he's going to go from a mid-second rounder (Where we could move up and snag him) to a late first rounder where we'd have to use a first on him.

Using the #28 pick on him would not be a bad thing. We have a need that he would fill perfectly. That would allow us to take a CB like Cason in the first and McKelvin in the second. (Yes, I am on the Troy bandwagon)