Cowboys have the second-most rookies

LowTech

the most important member
Reaction score
I didn't realize this until I caught this article about the Packers on cnnsi.com

Four of the team's league-high 14 rookies -- linebacker A.J. Hawk, wide receiver Greg Jennings and guards Jason Spitz and Tony Moll -- will start.

The Dallas Cowboys have the second-most rookies on their 53-man roster with 10, according to the Wisconsin State Journal in Madison. The defending NFC-champion Seattle Seahawks have four rookies, the league's fewest.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/09/04/bc.fbn.packers.notebook.ap/index.html

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
We had alot of rookies last year too if I remember right. No one can say that BP only gets old has been vets and no young players anymore

Hiero

Reaction score
NextGenBoys said:
We had alot of rookies last year too if I remember right. No one can say that BP only gets old has been vets and no young players anymore
I dont know why people say that anyways. I think he's done a great job of mixing a lot of young with vets. Now just need a little more youth on offense.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
It was nice to have such a surprising group of rookies at the WR position where we really needed some youth. Two years down the line by the time TO and Glenn are fading into the sunset, we might have developed a player or two out of this bunch.

sago1

Reaction score
Should be interesting to see how Crayton performs this season. If he plays like he did early before his injury last year he'll be fine, but otherwise he could be challenged by Rector--whose got better speed.

Austin should be real interesting developmental. Parcells explanation of why we kept Austin jives with what Mickey said on his "talking Cowboys" segment on his Monday show. Somebody emailed him asking what we kept Austin; Mickey said he had been curious about that too & checked around to find out that our scouts (he used another word for "scouts") whose job it was to determine which if any of our players could be grabbed off waiver wire, and they came back saying no way Austin makes it thru waivers. Apparently just his performance in game against Saints caught attention of other NFL teams due to this size & speed. We didn't hear much about Austin after that game probably because Parcells was "hiding" him but apparently that didn't work. He's got a lot of potential. BTW: He might be helpful on ST cause apparently he did really well blocking kicks in college.

I realize TO & Glenn will get most catches but Crayton will also get his, but I'd like to see Rector, Hurd & even Austin get opportunity to make a few catches as well.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Parcells has completely turned this roster over. Imagine in a couple of years, wow!

cowboyed

Reaction score
Well it is a relief to know we aren't typecast as one of the old geezer teams anymore. In addition, we have a good chunk of talented young blood that are more of an asset than a liability.

We are on the rise and I haven't had positive vibes like this since mid 90's.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
I don't really buy that Parcells is going to take the time to develop all these young receivers. Rector's never really gonna be more than a third anyway. I think it's kind of a waste to be honest, so somebody picks Miles Austin off the practice squad...you still have 3 other young receivers you can try to get something from.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
cowboyed said:
Well it is a relief to know we aren't typecast as one of the old geezer teams anymore. In addition, we have a good chunk of talented young blood that are more of an asset than a liability.

We are on the rise and I haven't had positive vibes like this since mid 90's.

Don't worry, we'll still be typecast in the same way. It's easier for the media to call us old than to actually do a little research.

jay cee

Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
I don't really buy that Parcells is going to take the time to develop all these young receivers. Rector's never really gonna be more than a third anyway. I think it's kind of a waste to be honest, so somebody picks Miles Austin off the practice squad...you still have 3 other young receivers you can try to get something from.
I kind of agree, half of these rookies will probably be released so they can keep next years rookies.

I don't think it makes a much of a difference.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
baj1dallas said:

I agree also, which is why I was so shocked by the fact thaht we kept Austin. Chances are he's never going to see the field as more than a #4, 3 at best...and he took up a valuable roster spot that might have been better utilized somewhere else.

tvooz

Reaction score
carpenter
fasano
hatcher
watkins
mcquistan
hurd
austin
hoyte

that's only eight

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Future 585 said:
I agree also, which is why I was so shocked by the fact thaht we kept Austin. Chances are he's never going to see the field as more than a #4, 3 at best...and he took up a valuable roster spot that might have been better utilized somewhere else.

Since you can only dress 45 for the games, most teams usually reserve their final 3-5 roster spots for developmental players who are too good to put on the practice squd. At least the good franchises do.

Will all the WR prospects pan out? No. But even if just one pans out the investment will be well worth it since all three carry minimal costs in both aquisition and retainment.

Kilyin

Reaction score
tvooz said:
elam was briefly with miami last year.

he went to their training camp in 05 but got released July 28th, so he is essentially a rookie.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
baj1dallas said:

I agree. My complaint against Parcells is that he is unwilling to let less experienced players play when we are way up or way down in the 3rd or 4th quarter of games. Hurd & Austin will probably take turns being inactive every other Sunday. The active one will play special teams only.

wileedog

Reaction score
Future 585 said:

Where?

Pettiti? As a 5th tackle he was never going to see the field either, barring complete disaster.

Copper? Austin has much more upside.

Boiman? We're stocked at LBer and again Hoyte has more upside.

Stanley or Pepper? Obviously the team realized neither was a fit at NT.

A 6th receiver makes a lot more sense considering our top two are on the wrong side of 30 and our #3 is injury prone.

wileedog

Reaction score
Awakened said:
I agree. My complaint against Parcells is that he is unwilling to let less experienced players play when we are way up or way down in the 3rd or 4th quarter of games. Hurd & Austin will probably take turns being inactive every other Sunday. The active one will play special teams only.

Hurd will be active because he has learned and can back up all three WR spots.

joseephuss

Reaction score
tvooz said:
carpenter
fasano
hatcher
watkins
mcquistan
hurd
austin
hoyte

that's only eight

Isn't Rector considered a rookie? I know he was on the PS last season, but he never made the 53 man roster.