Cowboys HC Mike McCarthy Singles Out ‘Two Damn Good’ Free-Agent Additions

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Poe missed the last 5 or so games at the end of the season. Run defense with Poe was something like 50 yards better per game than without him. There was a thread earlier in the year where I checked up on it.
Total yards doesn't matter, I went by YPA. On the season, Carolina was at 5.2. Over the last 5, it was (NO - 3.28, IND - 6.8, SEA - 4.5, ATL - 5, WAS - 8.3) 5.6. You can't attribute that difference to Poe, especially without accounting for game situation.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Add Aldon Smith and Randy Gregory to your comment.

Thank goodness we drafted a possible answer at DT, too.

That whole DL is really just a lick and a promise until we know more.

People will want to believe we have been improving things which is natural.

If we could be as good building our OL with the DL..

it would add at least 3 more wins.

No joke.

Yeah speaking of Aldon Smith, I've got some big hopes for that guy. He just might prove to be a real beast at DE!

cowboygo

Reaction score
Total yards doesn't matter, I went by YPA. On the season, Carolina was at 5.2. Over the last 5, it was (NO - 3.28, IND - 6.8, SEA - 4.5, ATL - 5, WAS - 8.3) 5.6. You can't attribute that difference to Poe, especially without accounting for game situation.
The defense also was 2nd in the league in sacks. From my understanding, they seld out on the pass more often than not. They also incorporated more 3-4 looks in 2019. Historically that defense had been 4-3 under Ron Rivera and was good against the run. The team lost Kawaan Short early in the year, and also lost Poe towards the end of the year. They decided to run blitz heavily and the gamble wouldn't pay off. I really would give the benefit of the doubt on both McCoy and Poe. McCoy is a 3-technique, and although he's up there in age, I believe he'll rebound.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The defense also was 2nd in the league in sacks. From my understanding, they seld out on the pass more often than not. They also incorporated more 3-4 looks in 2019. Historically that defense had been 4-3 under Ron Rivera and was good against the run. The team lost Kawaan Short early in the year, and also lost Poe towards the end of the year. They decided to run blitz heavily and the gamble wouldn't pay off. I really would give the benefit of the doubt on both McCoy and Poe. McCoy is a 3-technique, and although he's up there in age, I believe he'll rebound.
What benefit of the doubt though?

They're fine as players, they just aren't really upgrades to Woods or Collins.

cowboygo

Reaction score
What benefit of the doubt though?

They're fine as players, they just aren't really upgrades to Woods or Collins.

In that they aren't full culprits of being the reasons their team is last in the league against the run.

I think they are upgrades for what we are trying to do. Poe is bigger than Woods, and think he is more stout. McCoy and Collins might be a wash because of age difference, but McCoy has higher pedigree and a switch back to his former position could revitalize his career. We knew what we had with Collins, I would say they are both upgrades.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
In that they aren't full culprits of being the reasons their team is last in the league against the run.

I think they are upgrades for what we are trying to do. Poe is bigger than Woods, and think he is more stout. McCoy and Collins might be a wash because of age difference, but McCoy has higher pedigree and a switch back to his former position could revitalize his career. We knew what we had with Collins, I would say they are both upgrades.
Oh, no I'm not saying that they are culprits. What I'm saying is that there's very little evidence to say that they're difference makers from what we had last year, especially when Dallas had a strong run defense, and Carolina didn't.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It feels like forever ago, given the coronavirus’ global stranglehold, but the Dallas Cowboys quietly landed two stud interior defensive linemen in Gerald McCoy and Dontari Poe — eight Pro Bowls and nearly 650 pounds between them.

Together, with the incumbents from the 2019 squad, they form a close-to-impenetrable wall in the middle of Dallas’ front seven. That, on rushing downs.

On passing downs, the duo — especially McCoy, he of 59.5 career sacks — can also get after the quarterback, boosting a unit that notched just 39 takedowns in 2019, among the bottom half of the NFL. This number is dramatically underwhelming when you consider Robert Quinn alone accounted for 11.5 sacks.
Needless to say, if the Cowboys’ offseason resembled a makeover, these two are an excellent foundation.

“They’re two damn good veteran football players,” head coach Mike McCarthy told reporters Wednesday, via The Athletic. “They definitely fit what we’re trying to do up front, inside. Our outlook on how you play defense is you still got to stop the run. Then you have two big guys that can pass rush too.”

The Cowboys and McCoy agreed to three-year, $20 million contract at the onset of free agency. He brings a decade of starting experience and a resume highlighted by three first-team All-Pro selections, all of which with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Oklahoma native dubbed it a “dream come true” joining the club he grew up idolizing.

The No. 3 overall pick of the 2010 draft, McCoy went one-and-done with the Carolina Panthers last season. He registered 37 tackles, five sacks, and two pass breakups across 16 starts, proving he’s still a highly capable interior disruptor.

Albeit, a square peg forced into a round hole.

“I have never rotated as much as I did last year in Carolina,” McCoy said in March, per The Athletic. “That’s not what I was used to. I can play all game if I have to. … I’m an every down guy. That hasn’t changed, and I don’t plan on it changing this year.”

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/05/cowboys-mccarthy-gerald-mccoy-dontari-poe-statement/?fbclid=IwAR2H6OdWnMvPeZjOCJwUz3joYxdzmyPVUp_fc7OiazP_YC4HJP44789ZapU
He didn't want to be the heaviest Cowboy, so he signed these two!!! Lol

kskboys

Reaction score
Ok. We will take your word on it then. Or we could wait and see. Hmmmm
Not my word. Scouts and analysts. Most fans/football people would laugh at you for thinking Woods/Collins are even in the same zip code. I mean, you'd have to simply not be paying attention to the NFL to think they're on the same level. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

cern

Reaction score
Marinelli took "downsizing" to a whole new meaning.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Oh, no I'm not saying that they are culprits. What I'm saying is that there's very little evidence to say that they're difference makers from what we had last year, especially when Dallas had a strong run defense, and Carolina didn't.

Then again they will not be running the same schemes. Poe at 345 much bigger than Woods or Collins, I don't know how much of an upgrade or not I do think the scheme and what is asked of them makes a big difference. McCarthy likes having size up the middle and Poe clearly brings that size to the table.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Then again they will not be running the same schemes. Poe at 345 much bigger than Woods or Collins, I don't know how much of an upgrade or not I do think the scheme and what is asked of them makes a big difference. McCarthy likes having size up the middle and Poe clearly brings that size to the table.
Poe plays at like 330. Woods is listed at 318. The discrepancy isn't nearly as big as some make it out to be.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
330 still bigger than anyone who has been playing on DL and is listed at 345. Regardless they will not be running the same stunting defensive line that Dallas has seen in recent times. scheme matters, we will find out but saying there is no difference well the big difference likely will be the schemes and Dallas took McCoy and Poe, still have woods and will work them in a different scheme

cowboygo

Reaction score
330 still bigger than anyone who has been playing on DL and is listed at 345. Regardless they will not be running the same stunting defensive line that Dallas has seen in recent times. scheme matters, we will find out but saying there is no difference well the big difference likely will be the schemes and Dallas took McCoy and Poe, still have woods and will work them in a different scheme
exactly.

we went from having:
3-tech: Collins/Bennett -> McCoy/Gallimore
1-tech -> Woods/Covington -> Poe/Woods

Doomsday101

Reaction score
exactly.

we went from having:
3-tech: Collins/Bennett -> McCoy/Gallimore
1-tech -> Woods/Covington -> Poe/Woods

True but again scheme plays a big part. I don't see Nolan running the same style of defense

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
Not my word. Scouts and analysts. Most fans/football people would laugh at you for thinking Woods/Collins are even in the same zip code. I mean, you'd have to simply not be paying attention to the NFL to think they're on the same level. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
Laugh at me? What you or someone else thinks of me is none of my business! I didnt say Woods/Collins are on the same level , I hope they arent. YOU said Poe and McCoy are huge upgrades. I hope they are. But been burnt before and disappointed so many times that if you dont mind...Ill wait and see. heres hoping.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Comparing Poe vs. NoPoe games has got to be more valid that attributing stats from NoPoe games to Poe. Neither accounts for game situation, but at least one accounts for whether Poe was on the field or not.

How can it possibly make sense to attribute NoPoe games to Poe?

Poe played 25% snaps against NO, about half his snaps. Injured in the 2nd quarter. Should be thrown out of Poe/NoPoe comparison. It's half Poe, half NoPoe.

On the season = Poe + NoPoe games.

The last 4 games clearly has higher ypa compared to the full season average
5.2 < ave(6.8, 4.5, 5, 8.3, 5.6)

NoPoe ypa > Season Average ypa > Poe ypa

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Comparing Poe vs. NoPoe games has got to be more valid that attributing stats from NoPoe games to Poe. Neither accounts for game situation, but at least one accounts for whether Poe was on the field or not.

How can it possibly make sense to attribute NoPoe games to Poe?

Poe played 25% snaps against NO, about half his snaps. Injured in the 2nd quarter. Should be thrown out of Poe/NoPoe comparison. It's half Poe, half NoPoe.

On the season = Poe + NoPoe games.

The last 4 games clearly has higher ypa compared to the full season average
5.2 < ave(6.8, 4.5, 5, 8.3, 5.6)

NoPoe ypa > Season Average ypa > Poe ypa
This made no sense to me.

The last 5 games skews heavily b/c of a small data set. The difference isn't big enough to say "the run defense was better with Poe." Not by a long shot.