Twitter: Cowboys hire Klein Kubiak as area scout

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Personally, I kinda like the idea of a young guy with a history of NFL activity coming into the fold. Let's just see what he has to offer! :)

Means nothing. You either can evaluate talent or you can't.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
For some reason I thought we had a lot more scouts. I don't know why, but I figured somewhere between 10-15.
Here's a list from 2014, interesting that Dekraker left in 2015 for the Jets and just got fired by Gase.

Will McClay Assistant Director of Player Personnel Promoted Director of Football Research
Tom Ciskowski Director of Scouting Demoted Assistant Director of Player Personnel

Chris Hall College Scouting Coordinator n.c. College Scouting Coordinator
Drew Fabianich National College Scout n.c. National College Scout
Walter Juliff National College Scout n.c. National College Scout
Jim Abrams College Scout n.c. College Scout
Bill Dekraker College Scout n.c. College Scout
Sam Garza College Scout n.c. College Scout
Mitch LaPoint College Scout n.c. College Scout
Kevin Simon College Scout n.c. College Scout
Justin Stucky Combine Scout n.c. Combine Scout
Rich Behm Scouting Video Coordinator n.c. Scouting Assistant
Ross Wuensche Scouting Assistant new guy

Judd Garrett Assistant Director of Pro Scouting Demoted Director of Pro Scouting
Henry Sroka Pro Scout lateral move? College Scout
Alex Loomis Pro Scout Promoted Pro Scouting Assistant
George Jordan Scout n.c. Scout

Todd Williams Senior Director of Football Admin./Football Operations Promoted Director of Football Administration
Connie Shaffer Contract Administrator n.c. Contract Administrator
Adam Prasifka Player Personnel n.c. Player Personnel

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...-the-dallas-cowboys-jerry-jones-jason-garrett

Simpleton

Reaction score

Most of the NFL doesn't look at it that way, they mainly want foot soldiers as scouts who will follow orders and who have contacts at colleges that they can press for intel. When they're looking for entry-level scouts/scouting assistants they mostly just look for a guy who has some sort of relationship (family, played in college under someone's former teammate/friend/ex-coach, etc.) who worked for a year or two in some bull**** menial position in college recruiting/marketing offices.

There's a reason most scouts tend to stick in the league forever and I think for the most part it's because teams just want guys they can trust, they certainly don't look at scouting as a skill that people have or don't have. Take a look at the Giants for example, they've cycled through several GM's and HC's over the last 20-25 years but most of their scouts have been there for 20+ years. Most teams are like that and very rarely are scouting staffs cleaned out, the Bills cleaned house a few years ago and it sent shockwaves across the league because it happens so rarely.

The league seems to think that the ability to scout is something that is taught. Either that or they know there are thousands of people out there who can do their jobs just as well as most of the scouts and they want to keep their little fiefdom of professional football scouting to themselves.

It's basically rent-seeking behavior with artificial barriers to entering the profession, all linked back to nepotism/good old boy type ****.

I agree with you for what it's worth, talent evaluation is a skill, it can be improved on of course but some people are innately better at it than others.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

I'm just a fan, not a scout. It wasn't an evaluation -- just a positive thought and nothing more.

Klein Kubiak will obviously be obliged to prove himself with Dallas. Anything wrong with that?

Last edited:

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
The good ole boys league.

Friends and family only in the NFL.

That’s why I say a lot of these coaches and scouts are overrated.
It also leads to a lot of problems that no one wants to talk about, and is difficult to address. I think that's the most I can say about that.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
People also forget that coaches and front office management types don't always agree with a scout's evaluation. If a Scout can show his work or notes on players that he was overruled on, then that maybe what really convinced the powers that be to hire him.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
He qualifies as one of those belonging to that long list of scouts selected thru nepotism! Happy now, Risen?:thumbup:

Last edited: