CFZ Cowboys hype was overblown and fans are reeling

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It amazes me the reaction after this loss. Like we need to totally scratch and start over.

It’s obvious how much too many fans bought into the SB hype and one of the best teams in the league. When will this foolish casual and wagon fanbase learn to pump the brakes until further evidence is provided.

Cowboy fans have been so deprived this era of more success are desperate to finally have built a true contender they grasp at the first sighting and allow themselves to be suckered in not only from our owner who relishes in generating the hype but the mediots who compound the problem.

This team had so many concerns coming in with how this new offense would develop, the health of our OL, the depth of our RB’s, not having a star TE not to mention other issues.

The overall selling point this season was that our defense could become an elite caliber carrying this team further than it had been. But there were concerns as well like could we finally stop the run. Had we actually found the answer up the middle in our defense. And the season begun with dominating fashion with one hiccup in the desert .

But many of us warned or cried out to pump the brakes until we faced a legit contender. The offense was struggling in the Redzone not needing to do too much with a defense setting the tone leading the league in turnovers again.

The horrible upset loss in AZ should have sent a shot across our bow that without the defense dominating we had some issues offensively. I think fans just assumed that McCarthys new Texas Coast offense would naturally be better than Moores offense. And our lopsided wins fans didn’t dissect much further.

This loss to SF didn’t surprise me at all. Nor most in my close circle of local Cowboy friends. What we did take away is the Gap has widened between us from last year. And we , at least at this point , aren’t a SB contender which basically supports what we had suspected.

The good news is we are probably closer to what we saw coming in . A 9 or 10 win team fighting for a Wild Card slot with one of the toughest schedules in the league. This happened a few years ago when we begun the season 3-0.

Our hope was our defense could make a difference carrying a lesser offense this year, one that in recent years had been top 5-10 with roles reversed with a top 5 defense carrying a lesser offense.

Now that reality has set in fans who had bought into this hype are reeling. They feel a total reset is needed. Perhaps some serious tweaks do need to be made. But none some of us had already warned about . It amazes me how this one loss has totally reversed these fan’s mentality. It just solidifies how much they had bought in.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We are still in position to head into the bye at 4-2 which is where I had us before the season begun.

This is a big game for us . A winnable but tough game on the road. The Chargers , a playoff team from last year are a legit opponent. Much more than our earlier opponents . Not only do they have closer to an Elite QB , arguably the best we have faced this season thus far, but a better defense besides the one we just faced.

And they have a OC I’m sure determined to prove the Cowboys made a mistake which it appears we are already learning.

This won’t be a gimme win like our first 3. It’s a potential loss as well. But a better matchup for us. I think we are more evenly matched up than the best team in the league we just faced. And we need this win to calm the waters with the over reactions from last Sunday night which has deflated our fans while humbling our team which IMO should have occurred in the desert.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Most of us "hater Eagles fans" have been saying for weeks that the offense was our Achilles heel and couldn't carry their weight when the defense inevitably ran into games where the turnovers and defensive TDs weren't coming in bunches. The AZ game was the first example.

The offensive minded rules all but guarantee that there will be games that offenses get the better of even the best defenses. The Giants pathetic offense actually outperformed our offense against SF if you are looking for evidence of that.

Our defense, like most, is built to play with a lead and can be exposed when the offense is going 3 and out repeatedly in the first half. We are Mike Tyson...if you can get us to the 6th round, we are in trouble. We are going to run out of gas.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Everything most level headed fans thought this team could be is still in front of us fighting for a Wild Card slot.

I’d still like to see if this defense can stifle a great QB and good offense . Like I said earlier whatever hype or hope I had this season was based on our defense carrying us.

If they can’t then this season will struggle to meet my expectations making the playoffs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If any more mention of our QB in this thread persist I will report.
Thanks

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Everything most level headed fans thought this team could be is still in front of us fighting for a Wild Card slot.

I’d still like to see if this defense can stifle a great QB and good offense . Like I said earlier whatever hype or hope I had this season was based on our defense carrying us.

If they can’t then this season will struggle to meet my expectations making the playoffs.
What's the point of worrying about being a WC team when you know we're going to get blown out by the big boys? I mean some underdogs can pull upsets and havfe a chance. We have no chance with our offense playing like they do.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If this team loses to the Chargers the whole team could collapse. I had us at 11 wins this year. If we lose Monday night I don't think we get there.
11 wins too high an expectation based on our brutal schedule. Oddsmakers had us as 9 1/2 over under.

3-3 will make it tougher to make the playoffs but not impossible. We still have some winnable opponents out there.

I’m still not sure why fans are setting the tone after this expected loss?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I edited mine for all the sensitive people.
I appreciate. Just attempting to follow the rules. And don’t want this to become another one of those threads. I intentionally avoided that. It doesn’t mean I don’t have concerns. I do and stated as such.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I appreciate. Just attempting to follow the rules. And don’t want this to become another one of those threads. I intentionally avoided that. It doesn’t mean I don’t have concerns. I do and stated as such.
Fair enough. From the poll it looks like about 95% of the fans here know what the real problem is anyways.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What's the point of worrying about being a WC team when you know we're going to get blown out by the big boys? I mean some underdogs can pull upsets and havfe a chance. We have no chance with our offense playing like they do.
Because that’s who we are. Obviously some fans can’t accept what or who we are. And prob why so gullible or anxious to buy into the hype.

If you want to be a SB or Bust type of fan . Go right ahead but that’s part of this fanbase I was calling out.

Brooksey

Reaction score
It amazes me the reaction after this loss. Like we need to totally scratch and start over.

It’s obvious how much too many fans bought into the SB hype and one of the best teams in the league. When will this foolish casual and wagon fanbase learn to pump the brakes until further evidence is provided.

Cowboy fans have been so deprived this era of more success are desperate to finally have built a true contender they grasp at the first sighting and allow themselves to be suckered in not only from our owner who relishes in generating the hype but the mediots who compound the problem.

This team had so many concerns coming in with how this new offense would develop, the health of our OL, the depth of our RB’s, not having a star TE not to mention other issues.

The overall selling point this season was that our defense could become an elite caliber carrying this team further than it had been. But there were concerns as well like could we finally stop the run. Had we actually found the answer up the middle in our defense. And the season begun with dominating fashion with one hiccup in the desert .

But many of us warned or cried out to pump the brakes until we faced a legit contender. The offense was struggling in the Redzone not needing to do too much with a defense setting the tone leading the league in turnovers again.

The horrible upset loss in AZ should have sent a shot across our bow that without the defense dominating we had some issues offensively. I think fans just assumed that McCarthys new Texas Coast offense would naturally be better than Moores offense. And our lopsided wins fans didn’t dissect much further.

This loss to SF didn’t surprise me at all. Nor most in my close circle of local Cowboy friends. What we did take away is the Gap has widened between us from last year. And we , at least at this point , aren’t a SB contender which basically supports what we had suspected.

The good news is we are probably closer to what we saw coming in . A 9 or 10 win team fighting for a Wild Card slot with one of the toughest schedules in the league. This happened a few years ago when we begun the season 3-0.

Our hope was our defense could make a difference carrying a lesser offense this year, one that in recent years had been top 5-10 with roles reversed with a top 5 defense carrying a lesser offense.

Now that reality has set in fans who had bought into this hype are reeling. They feel a total reset is needed. Perhaps some serious tweaks do need to be made. But none some of us had already warned about . It amazes me how this one loss has totally reversed these fan’s mentality. It just solidifies how much they had bought in.
Not sure who was buying "hype" but everyone saw what looked like a SB contender after the blowout wins against NY Giants (a playoff team last year) and the NY Jets a top 5 defense.
Since we lost T. Diggs the Defense lost it's way and we haven't figured out how to play without him yet. He was a lock down corner and an emotional leader, we went from #1 in pass defense to #30 quickly.

The biggest difference from this year to last years playoff game against SF was our Defense, the offense and Dak were about the same if not worse.

Now with LVE and Diggs out, we have big problems.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fair enough. From the poll it looks like about 99% of the fans here know what the real problem is anyways.
They should have a poll on our owner. Last time I checked we’ve had a problem longer than 7 or 8 years.

Typical of our fanbase . All they can see is what just happen. No vision or overall perspective. And I’d argue these forum polls don’t necessarily reflect all of Cowboys Nation or even all of this forum which those supportive don’t want their vote seen,

Unfortunately most teams don’t have SB caliber QB. But you still try to field a competitive playoff team and hope for the best.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Angling for a mod job???

By the way, not everyone was overhyped. I don't buy into all the BS that spews from Jerry's mouth.
No, I’ve repeatedly turned that down . But I do stress following the rules . I hate those rabbit hole threads. There’s ample out there if you want.

I know you were one who prob didn’t buy in seeing our issues but many did.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They should have a poll on our owner. Last time I checked we’ve had a problem longer than 7 or 8 years.

Typical of our fanbase . All they can see is what just happen. No vision or overall perspective. And I’d argue these forum polls don’t necessarily reflect all of Cowboys Nation or even all of this forum which those supportive don’t want their vote seen,

Unfortunately most teams don’t have SB caliber QB. But you still try to field a competitive playoff team and hope for the best.
The owners are the bigger problem, but they aren't going anywhere. Ever. So as a fan you can only hope that the fan base can show how unhappy they are with *player* and hope that they make a change.

My guess is if the poll was anonymous you'd probably see even more people saying "no," some of them are just so dug in they are going to defend no matter what.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not sure who was buying "hype" but everyone saw what looked like a SB contender after the blowout wins against NY Giants (a playoff team last year) and the NY Jets a top 5 defense.
Since we lost T. Diggs the Defense lost it's way and we haven't figured out how to play without him yet. He was a lock down corner and an emotional leader, we went from #1 in pass defense to #30 quickly.

The biggest difference from this year to last years playoff game against SF was our Defense, the offense and Dak were about the same if not worse.

Now with LVE and Diggs out, we have big problems.
No, everyone didn’t see or buy in after the blowout wins against bottom feeder teams.

Diggs was not a lock down corner. He gave up a ton of yards . His 11 int season raised his visibility . It was a tough loss. But not one we couldn’t overcome. We lost 2 starting DB last year and still went on to playoffs .

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The owners are the bigger problem, but they aren't going anywhere. Ever. So as a fan you can only hope that the fan base can show how unhappy they are with *player* and hope that they make a change.

My guess is if the poll was anonymous you'd probably see even more people saying "no," some of them are just so dug in they are going to defend no matter what.
I'm really surprised there are any fans on the zone that still support Jerry but they're still out there. They just live in denial. I guess it's easier than to accept the truth.