Cowboys insider: Amari & Tank “likely to be gone” next season

quickccc

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with his contract - released this year only counts $6 million or can be restructured to around $11 million. If Cooper agrees, it's a very easy contact to move once restructured. I'm still looking for a trade with the Jags - Cooper gets to go home and help Lawrence develop.

Don't you think its a reason why the team has not approached Cooper with the idea of reconstructing,... as they have the other big contract players ?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly. They paid the QB top now it's time to purge the other high dollar players to compensate, awesome I know. They paid #4 now let him carry the offense, I mean, he's the star.
:hammer:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
keep Tank but i am indifferent to Cooper.

No way in hell do you cut Lawrence......that would be just dumb. Gregory??? so much time invested.....but damn....pushing 30.....and that playoff game.....the guy played it like he was on drugs.... I just can't trust him going forward...You can replace 6 sacks.....hell..you probably can get that from Armstrong if you resign him.

As for Cooper.....You would like him back....but not @ that $$$. He disappeared down the stretch.....but was it his fault? I think the Cowboys got enamored w/ Lambs potential....and thought he was the #1 guy...and tried to make him the focal point of the passing game.

Kellen Moore mistake???? McCarthy??? Jerry Jones pushing yet once again the 88 narrative?

I go back to the 90's....and what made Irvin and Harper so great.... Mike was the guy willing to do the dirty work. Slant inside....take the hit....first down. I think Cooper is more suited for that role...than Lamb. When I think Lamb....I think he's more Alvin Harper......Harper made the BIG plays.....to keep teams honest. But Mike was the bread and butter guy. He moved chains.....kept the game moving forward.

Honestly....Jerry did Lamb a disservice anointing Lamb 88......should have given him 80. Or let the kid pick his own legacy.....

Honestly....I can see us moving on from Cooper since he is older.....and if he isn't willing to restructure. But in the short term window we have right now.....I think it would be a mistake.

Think if your looking to cut baggage......start w/ #21. I don't care if we aren't saving money.....he's taking up a roster spot. There are plenty of RBs you can find late in the draft....that can do what he does.

black label

Reaction score
giphy.gif

stinkface

Reaction score
Only in Dallas do you award the title of "top player" according to the amount of money they make. D-Law stinks, and Cooper makes little impact when he doesn't/can't get the ball. We're going to be rebuilding sooner rather than later anyway, folks.
Saying he stinks might be an overstatement. If he hit the open market he would get millions from another team. Teams don't pay millions to players that stink. Does he play up to his current contract no.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Nothing like straight up releasing two of the highest paid players on the team. And another one, in Zeke, would be released if it saved any money.

Terrible contracts that prohibit us being able to sign any big time free agents. Great work by Jerry and Stephen

Cooper was gone the moment he started talking crap about not getting the ball enough and Tank just sucks, didnt hear his name called the whole dam game against the 49ers. I expect more for $27 million, not turn into Casper the ghost in the biggest game of the year.

And the gimp Ewok would be heading out the door as well if not for that albatross of a contract.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Saying he stinks might be an overstatement. If he hit the open market he would get millions from another team. Teams don't pay millions to players that stink. Does he play up to his current contract no.

They sure do in Dallas.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Gregory is a moron. That 4th quarter tackle of an OL in the closing minutes when the defense was using timeouts and trying to get the ball back told me a lot about him. He is a football idiot. Let him go.

Absolutely zero situational awareness.

Dude had to be high as a kite, he was laughing after he got flagged on the play.

I'm like seriously? You pretty much just cost your team a playoff game and you think its funny?

I cant have that kind of stupid on my team, I let him walk.

Flamma

Reaction score
Dude had to be high as a kite, he was laughing after he got flagged on the play.

I'm like seriously? You pretty much just cost your team a playoff game and you think its funny?

I cant have that kind of stupid on my team, I let him walk.

If DLaw goes, I doubt Gregory does as well. They'll probably rush Parsons and Gregory if they can't find someone suitable to replace DLaw. At this point I'm not so sure that would be hard to do.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
He was ranked 49th in targets that's note a Cooper issue that's a Dak/Moore issue. Also you can't compare slots wr and rb to outside wrs in catch percentage.

Lets qualify this first.....I like Coop and would definately retain/restructure him in different circumstances, however, we have issues and it's just too easy to play the blame game and pretend that everythings ok with one or two tweeks.

As regards comparing, Coop was the highest paid WR in 2021 (and 3rd for the next two years. His 65% put him 17th in WR's who averaged over 10 yards per reception (23rd in all WR's with over 50 receptions).

Like it ,or not, Dak is here for at least 3 years, and from what Coop tweeted himself it sounded as if Dak couldnt find him....even in case where he's not 1st in the progression, it appears he thinks he's 'open' enough to be used more..... in effect that's blaming Dak for not being able to go through his progressions and being able (or confident to find him). That's not on Coop and it's not on Moore either (not a popular view)....it's an issue with what Coop can give him in separation and Dak's ability/accuracy/confidence to find him.

For $22m we just can't afford (CAP again) that disconnect and lack of production (65% comp). Save money and improve value in other areas.

The CAP kills us, there are Denier's who continue with the argument "nothing to see here, we always get below it", however, fail to acknowledge that we get there by paying aging and/or injured players which hinders progress (D/Law, Zeke, poss Tyron and Dak in the near future) which leaves us with gaping holes in the roster which kills us in the end as we start JAGS....eg: LG, 1-tech DT against the run, CB2, LB, FS.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If DLaw goes, I doubt Gregory does as well. They'll probably rush Parsons and Gregory if they can't find someone suitable to replace DLaw. At this point I'm not so sure that would be hard to do.

Yep and the benefit of Gregory is that we can structure the contract away from the desperate CAP levels of 2022 and 2023.

ghst187

Reaction score
Ridiculous, both are very good players that we need but the FO gives them such stupid contracts that we end up painted into a corner where we have to cut them, get nothing in return, and still have dead money on the cap a year or two after they leave. Same will happen with Zeke….and possibly Dak.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I'll believe they cut/trade Amari when I see it, also I'll believe they cut DLaw when I see it. Speculation and Cowboys rutterless news has started. Hope for change only to get the same.

Dak played poorly with Coop, but here's a great idea...take Coop away and Dak will be fine.

Don't know about Lawrence - remember Jerry saying after they drafted him "We got our war Daddy" or something like that. Jerry is always loathe to admit he screwed up, as in keeping Garrett for 10 long frustrating years. Cooper was a free agent, so he's not tied into him as much, especially considering the critcism that Jerry threw his way just recently.

But with Jerry, who really knows what he'll do?

MyFairLady

Reaction score
They can take pay cuts or they can walk. You can not let yourself be held hostage to your own bad contracts simply because you like your guys or you are afraid that you can not do better.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
I really don’t understand the thought of cutting Lawrence, it’s only a cap savings of $8 million while having $19 in dead money. When healthy he still is a great DE, cut him next year when the savings in greater.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I've been saying all 2021 season that both Cooper and Lawrence would be released/traded/cut top candidates for the Cowboys for obvious salary cap reasons, and I got blasted by many for it.

Looks like time proves someone right again. :cool:

It's a business, folks.

If you own a business and understand the financial ramifications of keeping or cutting products at the end of every fiscal year due to cost and profits, you would understand Cooper and Lawrence were most likely to be gone by season's end.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
Think the Cooper talk might be more about motivation. Don’t think it will work because Cooper is wired differently. I just can’t see him being cut with the uncertainty of who will replace him. If Gallup didn’t tear his ACL, I could understand signing him and then trading Cooper for the savings. But why talk about cutting Cooper a month before it needs to be done. It makes no sense! Think there could be two possibilities with Cooper. A trade around the draft, maybe a swap with Ridley or a restructure to bring the cap value down.