Cowboys insider: Amari & Tank “likely to be gone” next season

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooper might not be cooperative with his contract as he might not mind leaving.

He is still one of the premier route runners in the game, can you imagine him with a QB like Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Wilson, Herbert or even Rodgers?

Any team interested in Cooper or Lawrence will not care about stats, they will watch film and assess how they would fit in their system.

Regarding Lawrence and past pass rushers, did anyone notice who ranked 2nd in sacks at 18.5? Robert Quinn. Do you think Ware played better and was more productive on fewer plays once he got out of Dallas? I do.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Both of these players are still good players but both are recipients of fat contracts because that's what the Cowboys do with their stars. They are still incompetent at managing the cap and the team.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Think the Cooper talk might be more about motivation. Don’t think it will work because Cooper is wired differently. I just can’t see him being cut with the uncertainty of who will replace him. If Gallup didn’t tear his ACL, I could understand signing him and then trading Cooper for the savings. But why talk about cutting Cooper a month before it needs to be done. It makes no sense! Think there could be two possibilities with Cooper. A trade around the draft, maybe a swap with Ridley or a restructure to bring the cap value down.
Too fat a contract to trade him and there are too many good WR's and the first contract players like Chase and Jefferson are shining early.

If I had a hot young gun QB, Cooper would be on my radar because of that route running but that QB has to be at ease with NFL open. Not all of them are and even some vets get twitchy.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Coop fell off second half of season. He's not worth his contract. And D Law hasn't done crap since he got paid and everyone here knows it.
Coop fell off because his QB fell off.Amari was open quite a bit, but our 40 million dollar man couldn’t find him or was scared to let it rip.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
I’m guessing they make these 5 moves to get to 5 million below the cap. One they already did.
1) Restructure Prescott
2) Restructure Martin
3) Cut Jarwin
4) Cut Zuerlein
5) Trade or cut Brown

The only other contract worth restructuring would be Cooper - restructure get us to $17.5 - cut gets to $21.
If Lawrence is cut - $13
If both are cut- $29

If I was the GM I wouldn’t touch another contract besides the 7 above.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I really don’t understand the thought of cutting Lawrence, it’s only a cap savings of $8 million while having $19 in dead money. When healthy he still is a great DE, cut him next year when the savings in greater.

That's only $8m when we're over $24m over the CAP. I would also query your use of great and give you: Good, over priced, doesnt give value for money all phrases that also apply to Coop.

So if we dont cut either Coop/DLaw or both how do we get under the CAP taking into account the $5 for draftee's and that the draft alone isnt going to improve the much needed: O-Line, D-Line, LB and FS areas of the team.....or are we just going full JAG?

Yea we can restructure, but we're left with only Martin as having a contract that's not potentially killing the CAP for longer than 2022 and 2023 (years that are already in the Emergency Room).

Addressing Coop and DLaw, with the knowledge that the guaranteed money is low and are candidates to but cut if they dont restructure the whole of the contract may be one of the most sensible FO decisions of the last couple of years (other than drafting Micah).

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So do we want to keep the guy who years ago had a couple of seasons where he was a top pass rusher or do we want to keep the guy who never has been?

How about neither? Why isn't that an option?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We need an entirely new DL. 4 new starters.

That should be the goal over the next two offseasons.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
So do we want to keep the guy who years ago had a couple of seasons where he was a top pass rusher or do we want to keep the guy who never has been?

How about neither? Why isn't that an option?

It's all about the money, money, money and what Gregory will accept....the ability to spread the money into 2024 is the crucial element.

We can't look at sentiment and historical ability for us now it should be all about value and DLaw's $56m in the next two years just damages our ability and results in us fielding so many JAGS throughout a roster.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's all about the money, money, money and what Gregory will accept....the ability to spread the money into 2024 is the crucial element.

We can't look at sentiment and historical ability for us now it should be all about value and DLaw's $56m in the next two years just damages our ability and results in us fielding so many JAGS throughout a roster.

It isn't about what Gregory will accept. He shouldn't be given an offer. He's a JAG.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
That's only $8m when we're over $24m over the CAP. I would also query your use of great and give you: Good, over priced, doesnt give value for money all phrases that also apply to Coop.

So if we dont cut either Coop/DLaw or both how do we get under the CAP taking into account the $5 for draftee's and that the draft alone isnt going to improve the much needed: O-Line, D-Line, LB and FS areas of the team.....or are we just going full JAG?

Yea we can restructure, but we're left with only Martin as having a contract that's not potentially killing the CAP for longer than 2022 and 2023 (years that are already in the Emergency Room).

Addressing Coop and DLaw, with the knowledge that the guaranteed money is low and are candidates to but cut if they dont restructure the whole of the contract may be one of the most sensible FO decisions of the last couple of years (other than drafting Micah).
I wouldn’t restructure DLaw - that is just pushing more dead money down the road. Cooper is the where the saving is, either with a restructure, trade or cut. Dallas can get to 5 million under the cap with 4 moves without touching DLaw or Cooper.

mathew1184

Reaction score
I would not mind moving on..Coops going downhill and Lawrence is headed there.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree, but I'm not sure teams would give us anything to take on a $20 million a year receiver contract.
I think someone would but good luck getting equal compensation for him….
Cooper might not be cooperative with his contract as he might not mind leaving.

He is still one of the premier route runners in the game, can you imagine him with a QB like Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Wilson, Herbert or even Rodgers?

Any team interested in Cooper or Lawrence will not care about stats, they will watch film and assess how they would fit in their system.

Regarding Lawrence and past pass rushers, did anyone notice who ranked 2nd in sacks at 18.5? Robert Quinn. Do you think Ware played better and was more productive on fewer plays once he got out of Dallas? I do.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Both of these players are still good players but both are recipients of fat contracts because that's what the Cowboys do with their stars. They are still incompetent at managing the cap and the team.
Cooper would do nothing with those quarterbacks because every single one of them have better receivers than him. He would not take touches from Davante Adams or Kennen Allen or Jamar or Tyreke or Diggs. At least in Dallas he would be the #1.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I wouldn’t restructure DLaw - that is just pushing more dead money down the road. Cooper is the where the saving is, either with a restructure, trade or cut. Dallas can get to 5 million under the cap with 4 moves without touching DLaw or Cooper.

But releasing Zuerlein, Jarwin and Brown results in us having JAGS playing at TE,K and hoping that Joseph is a full time starter at CB2 and JAGs rounding out the Secondary.....let alone scraping the barrel for rest of the roster.

In respect of DLaw i'm suggesting a total reworking of the contract, not restructuring the existing contract....he's not getting $27m in 2022. Looking at his contract, if money is his biggest motivation then he's probably expecting to be cut.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
People act like these guys are always competing for the superbowl. They have accomplished nothing and will only continue to decline. Paying them like they are super stars is madness.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
But releasing Zuerlein, Jarwin and Brown results in us having JAGS playing at TE,K and hoping that Joseph is a full time starter at CB2 and JAGs rounding out the Secondary.....let alone scraping the barrel for rest of the roster.

In respect of DLaw i'm suggesting a total reworking of the contract, not restructuring the existing contract....he's not getting $27m in 2022. Looking at his contract, if money is his biggest motivation then he's probably expecting to be cut.
I wouldn’t release Brown but you can argue Greg and Jarwin are jags themselves….

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
People act like these guys are always competing for the superbowl. They have accomplished nothing and will only continue to decline. Paying them like they are super stars is madness.
We just want to field the best team possible. And if this team releases Cooper and Lawrence guess who the best free agents are out there? Those two.

Adreme

Reaction score

Zuerlein is a JAG though and so is Brown for that matter so it’s little change either way. You can easily replace and upgrade both for cheaper.

You aren’t finding DLaw for 8m which is a problem. You can find a Cooper for 16m so he is probably gone and because you can find a Cooper for under 16m I don’t think you get much in a trade especially with owner being publicly down on him.