Cowboys Insider: Cal's Jackson would be a good fit

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
DR.WARE;1990321 said:
take him at 28 if hes there

Depending on the run of CB's and RB's and who's still on the board at those positions you may take a look at 22. If there are 1 or 2 corners and 1 or 2 RB's still on the board at 22 with Jackson you may want to take that chance.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
To be honest I wanted Jackson a long time ago but kind of forgot and gave up thinking he would be long gone before we picked.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I would love Jackson in the first round or any round in which we can get him. I've seen a lot of him, and there's no way he'll be a bust.

You can get taller, bigger, possession receivers in other rounds and in FA...they aren't hard to find. Guys with the speed, hands, and elusiveness of Jackson are very rare.

He'd have a huge impact on our offense in his rookie year, imo.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
speedkilz88;1990204 said:
At 169 pounds, I don't think his body holds up very well returning punts and playing receiver.

Tell that to Wes Welker.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Fletch;1990372 said:
Tell that to Wes Welker.

Why?

Does Wes Welker weigh 169?

I'd think about Jackson at 28....but not before then....and I wouldn't take him ahead of guys like Sweed, Kelly, Hardy....or even Thomas.

wrnboysfan

Reaction score
1a. best available corner
1b. desean jackson
2. chris johnson or ray rice

i've never really liked jackson, but after watching some tape of him and also considering the impact smaller, quicker WRs are having in the NFL, i think our 28th pick would be good for him.

if he turns out to not be the impact WR we need, at least we'll have a great punt returner. that being said, i think he;ll do just fine in the pros.

Reaction score
I'd take him because he's the most dynamic WR in the draft despite his size.... Jackson reminds me of Steve Smith, we should definitely look at drafting him in April.

Nexx

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;1990316 said:
Can't even compare the two. Jackson is MUCH more of a polished receiver then Ginn was coming out of college.

+1, for the love of god, if you have eyes and can watch a player play you would know that jackson is completely different from Ginn. Jackson will be 10X the player Ginn is now. and for those who are concerned about his size and durability, when was the last time you saw smith, welker and moss get hit hard. its almost impossible because of their size and their ability to get under tacklers avoiding bit hits.

Nexx

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;1990310 said:
Didn't we use a 4th rounder on Stanback to be our PR/KR, speed receiver? He is suppose to be a "development" guy, but do you want to give up on his development already?

I hope we select someone we can use immediately. Jackson is not a good selection.

nope, i want stanback to eventually be a soild number 2 but for now ill take a number 3 from his from time to time this year. jackson can immediately be your #2 this season imho and eventually be your #1 with hopefully stanback as your #2.

StarHead69

Reaction score
I don't think Jackson will ever be a good #1 guy, but he will give you a playmaker on returns, and a weapon who will stretch the field. I would definitely take him at #28 and would certainly trade up in the 2nd if he slips.

Jaxonsdaddd

Reaction score
I just hope he is there..my worst fear is that pick #22 rolls around and the following are off the board..

McFadden
Mendenhall
DRC
Mike Jenkins
Mckelvin
Desean Jackson.

This would suck big time. If it were me, I guess I would go Stewart RB from Oregon under this scenario

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
Well Jerry said a Wow factor was coming. he didn't get the Wow guy in freeagency. I think taking Desean Jackson in the 1st and Chris Johnson in the 2nd gives us that Wow factor.

Tractor1

Reaction score
At 169 pounds, I don't think his body holds up very well returning punts and playing receiver.

Kelvin Martin was a very good returner, and pretty good receiver. His size didn't keep him from turning the outcome of a few games while he was a Cowboy.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

At 169 he is going to be thrown around like a rag doll.

I agree that his main contribution is going to be as a kick returner, but I am not down with drafting a kick returner in the freaking 1st round.

Isnt that what Stanbach is supposed to be, our next great kick return weapon?

I will take Hardy or Early Ducett before I looked at Jackson.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
For a guy with a user name like yours I would think you would at least give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

jdnoyes

Reaction score
Well I'll give you some support Goldenrichards, I love the kid and would be happy to have him in the first assuming we get a CB with the other one. He is an explosive playmaker. I'm not worried about his size, he just seems to be too quick to ever take the the big hit. The question remains though, can he develop into a Steve Smith type #1 receiver or will he always be a #2/#3 and returner. When you spend a first on a guy like this you generally don't want a part time player.