Cowboys Insider: Cal's Jackson would be a good fit

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;1990499 said:
For a guy with a user name like yours I would think you would at least give the guy the benefit of the doubt.
For a guy with a user name like yours I would think you would only want white wrs.:rolleyes:

See how stupid that is?

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
speedkilz88;1990639 said:
For a guy with a user name like yours I would think you would only want white wrs.:rolleyes:

See how stupid that is?
Actually, that was kinda of ignorant. Especially since I am a black man. Golden Richards paired with my favorite wideout Tony Hill which i use on another site so I thought I would use his running mate on this one.

Didn't mean to insult you but with a name like speed kilz I would think you like fast guys I guess thats the stupid in me. My mistake.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
ninja;1990295 said:
What did Ted Ginn do last year? I worry this Desean Jackson will be a lot like Ginn. Now Ginn may show something this year. I have my doubts. Is Jackson better than Ted Ginn? Or is Jackson just another Desmond Howard?

..you have to be careful about drafting a guy like this too early. If all we wanted was a guy to return punts and then be the slot WR, this might be a good choice. Ted Ginn is a prime example of a reach with those measurables being short but fast and also not adapting well to pro offenses as a WR.

But what I think is needed is a more complete WR with more size and good speed to groom for replacing TO and to immediately compete with Crayton at #2 Wideout.

..but maybe he's what we are looking for with ST's. And maybe he is really destined to be a #3 slot receiver overall. If he is available late in the second rd..where our pick falls, then sure, but he won't be there then.

:starspin ReDBaLL ExPreSs:starspin

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;1990668 said:
Actually, that was kinda of ignorant. Especially since I am a black man. Golden Richards paired with my favorite wideout Tony Hill which i use on another site so I thought I would use his running mate on this one.

Didn't mean to insult you but with a name like speed kilz I would think you like fast guys I guess thats the stupid in me. My mistake.
I didn't mean to offend you. I was just trying to point that you can't just judge somebody because of their username. Sorry if it didn't come off right.

I actually had a tough time coming up with a username.

Speed kills was Jimmy Johnson's philosophy when building a team, but it had more to do with overall defensive speed than anything. Because the Cowboys offense of the 90s really didn't have much speed with guys like Irvin and Smith being the big play guys.

I like Jackson's speed, but 169 pounds is just too small to pick in the first round. Our head coach has even made comments that he isn't for taking wrs in the first.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
I went Wow last year watching Peter Willis tape.

I went WOW WOW WOW watching Desean Jackson tape. He may only be Steve Smith size but try and cover or hit this kid. He also has Sanders esque moves. Another short guy.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Nors;1990713 said:
I went Wow last year watching Peter Willis tape.

I went WOW WOW WOW watching Desean Jackson tape. He may only be Steve Smith size but try and cover or hit this kid. He also has Sanders esque moves. Another short guy.

He's not Steve Smith's size.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
speedkilz88;1990703 said:
I didn't mean to offend you. I was just trying to point that you can't just judge somebody because of their username. Sorry if it didn't come off right.

I actually had a tough time coming up with a username.

Speed kills was Jimmy Johnson's philosophy when building a team, but it had more to do with overall defensive speed than anything. Because the Cowboys offense of the 90s really didn't have much speed with guys like Irvin and Smith being the big play guys.

I like Jackson's speed, but 169 pounds is just too small to pick in the first round. Our head coach has even made comments that he isn't for taking wrs in the first.
No problem man. I love the user name. i am a big Jimmy Johnson fan going back to my days as a hurricane fan. I was hoping Phillips has that same philosophy that speed on D is what it is all about.

FCBarca

Reaction score
2008 draft:
1st Desean Jackson
1st Antione Cason
2nd Chris Johnson

I like :D

Although I'd also consider Kelly or Hardy up there as a WR...But getting Cason and Johnson would make for a nice haul in those first 3 picks, eh?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
T.O81;1990835 said:
Whatever happened to all the Hype going around we were gonna go after Mario Manningham??
Everyone is still waiting for him to finish his 40 at the combine.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
the issues about his size are overrated, learn how to not take hits and you'll live, just look at Marvin Harrison, he's hardly ever asked to run crossing routes, and he steps out of bounds and gets down as soon as he catches the ball, unless he catches the ball behind the defense

and the argument over whether to take him at either 22, or 28, is ridiculous, it's not like we're considering between the 10th and 28th selection, it's 6 spots at the bottom of the 1st round, good grief

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1991124 said:
the issues about his size are overrated, learn how to not take hits and you'll live, just look at Marvin Harrison, he's hardly ever asked to run crossing routes, and he steps out of bounds and gets down as soon as he catches the ball, unless he catches the ball behind the defense

and the argument over whether to take him at either 22, or 28, is ridiculous, it's not like we're considering between the 10th and 28th selection, it's 6 spots at the bottom of the 1st round, good grief

The fact that the NFL is more pass and receiver friendly tends to support your argument.

Still, I'm kind of uneasy about a 5'9 166 pound receiver.

Personally, I hope he and DMac aren't there so we can dispense with this obession with having either.

Though I'm getting a funny "feeling" that if DMac drops below the third pick, he's going to be a Cowboy.

alancdc

Reaction score
GoinForSix;1990200 said:
His affect on our return game is the only reason I'd take him at 22, balls are tough to spread around with Witten and Owens. Jackson wouldn't be asked to do much work between the hashes, just stretching the field and keep defesnes honest - exactly what our team needs.

I agree and with what Devon Hester has proven is that a big time return guy can make a huge difference. Field position and ST TD's. In a league where everyone is pretty close that field position and scores not generated by the offense can be a difference maker.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He wouldn't be my first choice but we could do worse than draft Jackson. Having a "Devin Hester" type threat returning kicks would be a nice addition.

J-DOG

Reaction score
ninja;1990295 said:
What did Ted Ginn do last year? I worry this Desean Jackson will be a lot like Ginn. Now Ginn may show something this year. I have my doubts. Is Jackson better than Ted Ginn? Or is Jackson just another Desmond Howard?
Ginn may not have been the most polished wr coming out of college but look who he had throwing to him.
Lemon???
Miami was a mess...hard to judge a rookie wr off of that offense last season.

cowheel

Reaction score
No wide receivers in the first round please!

CB,CB

...OR...
DMac & PacMAn

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
tyke1doe;1991135 said:
The fact that the NFL is more pass and receiver friendly tends to support your argument.

Still, I'm kind of uneasy about a 5'9 166 pound receiver.

Personally, I hope he and DMac aren't there so we can dispense with this obession with having either.

Though I'm getting a funny "feeling" that if DMac drops below the third pick, he's going to be a Cowboy.

I'm still going to put Desean as my 22nd pick, and will pray that his lack of size will cause him to drop, but I don't see it dropping him down much, he's an explosive playmaker, and with the damage Wes Welker did to the league, teams are going to want to find their own Welker

newlander

Reaction score
I'm with speedkilz and sandy guys. He's just too small. He looks small on a college field. Speed is great:until he gets hit. PASS.