News: Cowboys Insider: Signing Zack Martin long term will not be easy

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys Insider: Signing Zack Martin long term will not be easy

http://thelandryhat.com/2016/08/21/cowboys-insider-signing-zack-martin-long-term-will-not-be-easy/

After signing two of their Pro Bowl offensive lineman to long term contract extensions, the Dallas Cowboys could face a challenge securing the third and arguably most talented of them all.

Just moments before the Dallas Cowboys kicked off their first preseason game of the year against the L.A. Rams last weekend, Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick received some good news as he was dressing for the contest in the locker room. Frederick found out that his representatives and the Cowboys had come to an agreement on a contract extension that would make him a member of America’s Team until 2024.
With still two years remaining on his rookie contract, Frederick would go on to sign a new six-year, $56.4 million deal. $28.2 million of which is guaranteed. The new contract makes him the highest paid player in the NFL at his position.

Frederick is one of a talented three-headed monster in Dallas, that is the foundation of the Cowboys dominate offensive line. The other two being left tackle Tyron Smith and guard Zack Martin. All the same age, 25, they are also one of the youngest lines in the NFL.

But according to one Cowboys insider, signing arguably the best guard in the NFL will be anything but easy.

“The Cowboys will pick up Martin’s fifth-year option for 2018 sometime next spring, but they will want to sign him to a long-term deal the way they locked up Smith and Frederick,” wrote ESPN staff writer Todd Archer earlier this week. “The Cowboys have a good relationship with Martin’s agent, Tom Condon, but it will not be easy. Martin can command top dollar with many people who believe he is already the best guard in the NFL. In talking to people around the league, some consider Martin the Cowboys’ best offensive lineman. The good news: Martin doesn’t want to leave and knows the Cowboys have a good thing going on that offensive line.”

Slim_JD

Reaction score
Do whatever it takes to sign him and keep the Oline together.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
We have atleast 2 more seasons of this OL together so im not worried about the long term extension now. I will admit it'll be hard to keep both Martin and Collins just based on how much money we would be committing to nonskill positions, but we'll see. Frankly even if we have 3 pro bowlers on this line and 2 average starters this will still be one of the best lines in the league.

CCBoy

Reaction score
What a manufactured piece of crap that was. Completely speculation on just about everything. If Dallas wants him, we will keep him.

Sometimes, it is beneficial to get the negatives into a complete picture. Will the cap picture change if the Cowboys bring in a high priced defensive end next season?

Bluefin

Reaction score
“The Cowboys will pick up Martin’s fifth-year option for 2018 sometime next spring, but they will want to sign him to a long-term deal the way they locked up Smith and Frederick,” wrote ESPN staff writer Todd Archer earlier this week. “The Cowboys have a good relationship with Martin’s agent, Tom Condon, but it will not be easy.

Martin can command top dollar with many people who believe he is already the best guard in the NFL. In talking to people around the league, some consider Martin the Cowboys’ best offensive lineman. The good news: Martin doesn’t want to leave and knows the Cowboys have a good thing going on that offensive line.”

Per OTC.com, the biggest RG contract is Brandon Brooks' $40M with $17M guaranteed.

That's pretty easy to beat.

Zack Martin and Tom Condon may argue that he's the best G in the NFL and capable of playing C, but he's playing RG.

Even if we factor in LG salary, I'm still unconcerned.

Kelechi Osemele ($58.5M, $25.4M guaranteed) is the only contract north of $40M and he was paid as a G/T.

Osemele cashed in as a free agent.

Dallas will be willing to extend Martin next year when they're two seasons remaining on his rookie contract (5th yr option will be exercised in the spring).

Martin wants to be here.

It will get done.

rockj7

Reaction score
Sometimes, it is beneficial to get the negatives into a complete picture. Will the cap picture change if the Cowboys bring in a high priced defensive end next season?

CC I was thinking the same thing if we had a good defense with 4-6 really good players on that side of the ball then I could see a major problem

CCBoy

Reaction score
Don't forget that La'el Collins just turned 23 three weeks ago.

The biggest problem in maintaining a resemblance of a dynasty, is depth. Now that is a great problem to have at present...and will keep Stephen creative.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They'll get it done. Non-story for me.

Yes, it's kind of silly. Was signing Smith easy? Was it easy to sign Frederick?

Both received top money and more than Dallas likely would have liked to have paid, but the team is set up well to be able to dole out these big contracts because they've got them staggered.

I would expect Collins to get a new deal next year and Martin in 2018. I don't think any of these four linemen will even sniff free agency ... and I don't really think they want to.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
This line isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.

LT Smith - under contract thru 2023
LG Collins - under contract thru 2017 > then tender as restricted free agent *Jerry pays him before tendering him.
C Frederick - under contract thru 2023
RF Martin - under contract thru 2017 > then 5th year option > then 2 years of Franchise Tags if necessary
RT Free - under contract thru 2017 * Cowboys can free up $5M in cap room if released next off-season

If the team feels Chaz Green (signed thru 2018) isn't ready, then I'm sure they will keep Free for another year.