News: Cowboys Insider: Signing Zack Martin long term will not be easy

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Yes, it's kind of silly. Was signing Smith easy? Was it easy to sign Frederick?

Both received top money and more than Dallas likely would have liked to have paid, but the team is set up well to be able to dole out these big contracts because they've got them staggered.

I would expect Collins to get a new deal next year and Martin in 2018. I don't think any of these four linemen will even sniff free agency ... and I don't really think they want to.
I would offer Collins a 4/20m extension, fully guaranteed after this year to make up for the deal he missed as a draftee

Reaction score
Honestly? This is the kind of pull-it-out-your-butt article topic I'd expect in the off-season when nothing is happening. Ask again in 2 years when it's relevant and we know the surrounding situations of the player and the team.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Cowboys Insider: Signing Zack Martin long term will not be easy

http://thelandryhat.com/2016/08/21/cowboys-insider-signing-zack-martin-long-term-will-not-be-easy/

After signing two of their Pro Bowl offensive lineman to long term contract extensions, the Dallas Cowboys could face a challenge securing the third and arguably most talented of them all.

Just moments before the Dallas Cowboys kicked off their first preseason game of the year against the L.A. Rams last weekend, Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick received some good news as he was dressing for the contest in the locker room. Frederick found out that his representatives and the Cowboys had come to an agreement on a contract extension that would make him a member of America’s Team until 2024.
With still two years remaining on his rookie contract, Frederick would go on to sign a new six-year, $56.4 million deal. $28.2 million of which is guaranteed. The new contract makes him the highest paid player in the NFL at his position.

Frederick is one of a talented three-headed monster in Dallas, that is the foundation of the Cowboys dominate offensive line. The other two being left tackle Tyron Smith and guard Zack Martin. All the same age, 25, they are also one of the youngest lines in the NFL.

But according to one Cowboys insider, signing arguably the best guard in the NFL will be anything but easy.

“The Cowboys will pick up Martin’s fifth-year option for 2018 sometime next spring, but they will want to sign him to a long-term deal the way they locked up Smith and Frederick,” wrote ESPN staff writer Todd Archer earlier this week. “The Cowboys have a good relationship with Martin’s agent, Tom Condon, but it will not be easy. Martin can command top dollar with many people who believe he is already the best guard in the NFL. In talking to people around the league, some consider Martin the Cowboys’ best offensive lineman. The good news: Martin doesn’t want to leave and knows the Cowboys have a good thing going on that offensive line.”
Dallas will be fine 2018 is the yr dallas has to think bout resigning martin . 2018 dallas is scheduled to be 37mil under the cap, and could gain another 16mil by cutting Romo. 53mil under the cap with a young establish team in place with a young QB in place.

i wonder if these journalists even research the topic theyre writing about.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas will be fine 2018 is the yr dallas has to think bout resigning martin . 2018 dallas is scheduled to be 37mil under the cap, and could gain another 16mil by cutting Romo. 53mil under the cap with a young establish team in place with a young QB in place.

LM, good topic development...but bench marks are good to see along the road. Thanks...

DallasDomination

Reaction score

Don't you speak about Romo that way.. show some gosh darn respect lol

lkelly

Reaction score
Where was the actual news in that story? Was it the fact that he's represented by Tom Condon?

Fascinating!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
We have this year and next year under contract. We have the team option following that. We then have the franchise tag at least 1 year. I don't think Romo lasts that long. It might mean we cannot dip deep into FA but I have no interest in that unless a special opportunity arises. With an ever rising cap, I am really not worried.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
Cowboys Insider: Signing Zack Martin long term will not be easy

http://thelandryhat.com/2016/08/21/cowboys-insider-signing-zack-martin-long-term-will-not-be-easy/

After signing two of their Pro Bowl offensive lineman to long term contract extensions, the Dallas Cowboys could face a challenge securing the third and arguably most talented of them all.

Just moments before the Dallas Cowboys kicked off their first preseason game of the year against the L.A. Rams last weekend, Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick received some good news as he was dressing for the contest in the locker room. Frederick found out that his representatives and the Cowboys had come to an agreement on a contract extension that would make him a member of America’s Team until 2024.
With still two years remaining on his rookie contract, Frederick would go on to sign a new six-year, $56.4 million deal. $28.2 million of which is guaranteed. The new contract makes him the highest paid player in the NFL at his position.

Frederick is one of a talented three-headed monster in Dallas, that is the foundation of the Cowboys dominate offensive line. The other two being left tackle Tyron Smith and guard Zack Martin. All the same age, 25, they are also one of the youngest lines in the NFL.

But according to one Cowboys insider, signing arguably the best guard in the NFL will be anything but easy.

“The Cowboys will pick up Martin’s fifth-year option for 2018 sometime next spring, but they will want to sign him to a long-term deal the way they locked up Smith and Frederick,” wrote ESPN staff writer Todd Archer earlier this week. “The Cowboys have a good relationship with Martin’s agent, Tom Condon, but it will not be easy. Martin can command top dollar with many people who believe he is already the best guard in the NFL. In talking to people around the league, some consider Martin the Cowboys’ best offensive lineman. The good news: Martin doesn’t want to leave and knows the Cowboys have a good thing going on that offensive line.”

2018 is the last year of Romo's contract, even IF he starts past that he cap hit will drop in my opinion so that is some money that could go to Martin. And we are almost at a point where don't have to sign any big name FA., so take care of our own.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
We have this year and next year under contract. We have the team option following that. We then have the franchise tag at least 1 year. I don't think Romo lasts that long. It might mean we cannot dip deep into FA but I have no interest in that unless a special opportunity arises. With an ever rising cap, I am really not worried.

Once Romo retires and his contract is up it will free up some money to sign some of our other players. Besides the cap is going to go up. I don't think this is going to be an issue now and in the foreseeable future.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Nonsense. You make him the highest paid sooner rather than later. Two or three years down the line, the deal starts looking smaller and smaller

dbonham

Reaction score
I think the deals get done, but we still have some building to do. We have to replace Leary, Bernardeau, and either add a swing tackle or a starting RT depending on how Green develops.

erod

Reaction score
What a load of crock.

This is easy to get done, especially when you have two years of franchise tags to hold over his head.

Aven8

Reaction score
We will be at a point where Seattle was a couple of years ago. An inexpensive QB that's good, and can afford to pay top notch players. Whether that's Dak, or another rookie I hope!

Phoenix

Reaction score
"Frederick is one of a talented three-headed monster in Dallas, that is the foundation of the Cowboys dominate offensive line."

Editing used to be a thing.

Thefeelofcotton

Mandalorian
Reaction score
I would hope they can get Martin an Collins both to agree to contract extensions and keep 4/5 OL on board. I know from a cap standpoint that it won't be easy but let's hope the cap keeps going up the way it has been so there's more room.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I have no doubt that Jerry will retain him if that's what he wants. I guess the only thing that could come in to play could be if at some point it becomes questionable how much of limited resources should be poured into the offensive line. But I would think that would apply more to Collins than Martin.

CCBoy

Reaction score
"Frederick is one of a talented three-headed monster in Dallas, that is the foundation of the Cowboys dominate offensive line."

Editing used to be a thing.

How are things with you, Phoenix?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
The question isn't "Can they", it's "Should they."

The answer to both questions is, "Yes."