Cowboys interest in LBs for 3-4 scheme or LVE concerns?

RS12

Reaction score
On LVE.

His agent is the same as Aldon Smith. He talked about LVE on a podcast and said that it's been blown out of proportion. Claims LVE was having issues (stingers) with the neck prior to the game he was "injured" and couldn't use one of his arms when tackling. Said he needed this surgery all along and will be fine.
He has a major stake in the outcome. Call me a skeptic.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Maybe big Mike watched some game film of our LBers.

That play sums up why I have done a 180 on Smith. You can see that showboat purposely takes himself out of the play to avoid contact. Avoids the block and absolutely wants no part of a tackle. He did that the entire second half of the season. Guy is a scrub. He’d choose to sell his cheap sunglasses and build his brand rather than be a great LB.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
i know i've heard HC McCarthy make mentioned that the team plans to stay with a 4-3 base scheme, but i also have to wonder if these interests in early round like edge/middle LBs an indication of an "eventual " full time conversion to a 3-4 scheme .. or is it any indication of concern for the health (neck) of Vander Esch?

i'm hearing LSU Chassison, Penn State's Yetur Gross Matos, Wisconsin's LB Zack Baun ... Sooner's LB Kenneth Murray, ..among several others. these guys could easily be deemed as 3-4 edge rushers

..could Murray be an addition to the starting incumbent set.. or a replacement ?

Isnt it obvious what is going on?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
i know i've heard HC McCarthy make mentioned that the team plans to stay with a 4-3 base scheme, but i also have to wonder if these interests in early round like edge/middle LBs an indication of an "eventual " full time conversion to a 3-4 scheme .. or is it any indication of concern for the health (neck) of Vander Esch?

i'm hearing LSU Chassison, Penn State's Yetur Gross Matos, Wisconsin's LB Zack Baun ... Sooner's LB Kenneth Murray, ..among several others. these guys could easily be deemed as 3-4 edge rushers

..could Murray be an addition to the starting incumbent set.. or a replacement ?

Sean Lee can't play forever....And this Murray kid is a playmaker. He's all over the field. You can never have enough of those guys. If he was the pick...I'd be ok w/ it. We do have bigger needs....but I'm starting to get the feeling going out and getting a CB in free agency for a year (Aqib Talib) may be the way to go.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
In the 1990s, you shouldn't draft 3rd CB in the first round.
In the 2020s, you shouldn't draft a 3rd LB (non-edge) in the first round.
The snaps just aren't there.

Verdict

Reaction score
You guys that want to draft based on need—I hope you are very disappointed.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I doubt they view Smith as negative as on here.

LVE is the real only question mark.

I don't see another day 1 pick at LB. Rounds 3 or 4 on however
If Chassison were the pick at 17, would be a natural fit in a 3-4.

quickccc

Reaction score
Sean Lee can't play forever....And this Murray kid is a play maker. He's all over the field. You can never have enough of those guys. If he was the pick...I'd be ok w/ it. We do have bigger needs....but I'm starting to get the feeling going out and getting a CB in free agency for a year (Aqib Talib) may be the way to go.

true with Sean Lee ... but you don't take a LB early rounds (such as Murray is projected to go early) as a strong side LB role for him to be replaced on nickel, passing downs. ;)

quickccc

Reaction score
They are talking about moving Jaylon to OLB pass rusher. Thus the high interest in Murray.

i too, would be curious as where you're getting Jaylon is being considered moving to the OLB role. - especially in the 4-3 scheme.

anyone knowledgeable that is observing his lack of lateral movement and how he doesn't make plays reversing in coverage, that would be a colossial mistake
with Swipe starting on the flank and retreating in coverage. the better OCs and coaches would attack and take good advantage of that with da quickness.

i don't think he's ever fully regained his lateral ability and change of direction since his horrific knee injury, and he is in his element going forward, i can see moving him around the line in situations, alignments and packages to use his forward blitzing ability but you can't expose him like that in coverage in a full time role at outside LB. .:eek:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Don't know why fans focus so much on 4-3 or 3-4 in 2020. Teams play nickel and dime half the time in the pass-happy NFL.

No team is strictly 3-4 or 4-3 anymore. Multiple defenses rule the day.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Demarcus Ware was 255 when we drafted him, Chaisson and Ware both very similar bios.

LSU is getting known for defense now as well.

I like the Demarcus Ware added motivator...a lot.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
scheme .. or is it any indication of concern for the health (neck) of Vander Esch?
I'm as worried about Jaylon as LVE. Jaylon looked off to start the season, and he looked worse and worse as the season went on.

Watch Jaylon get completely stonewalled by the first heavy bag of the Gridiron Gauntlet Pro Bowl 2020 - You actually have to push 3 bags and he couldn't push one. Watch Jaylon get completely stonewalled by the first heavy bag of the Gridiron Gauntlet Pro Bowl 2020 - You actually have to push 3 bags and he couldn't push 1. Goto 43 seconds and play on slow mo.