Cowboys interest in LBs for 3-4 scheme or LVE concerns?

quickccc

Reaction score
Demarcus Ware was 255 when we drafted him, Chaisson and Ware both very similar bios.

Doubt Ware was that big.. he was barely " listed " at 250 lbs.
and it made a huge difference for most of his career durability wise, that he came in as a 3-4 OLB, vs a hand in dirt full time 4-3 end, imo.

quickccc

Reaction score
I'm as worried about Jaylon as LVE. Jaylon looked off to start the season, and he looked worse and worse as the season went on.

Watch Jaylon get completely stonewalled by the first heavy bag of the Gridiron Gauntlet Pro Bowl 2020 - You actually have to push 3 bags and he couldn't push one.

Nah... give me more a clip of a live game situation,.. critical moments,..top competition when all the stakes are on the line,... :p

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Doubt Ware was that big.. he was barely " listed " at 250 lbs.
and it made a huge difference for most of his career durability wise, that he came in as a 3-4 OLB, vs a hand in dirt full time 4-3 end, imo.
http://www.demarcusware94.com/bio.html
Scroll down to where Troy Coach Larry Blakeney talks about Wares size when he first entered the program.
6th paragraph.
Its strange to me as well, I could have sworn Ware was around 245 when we drafted him.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Don't know why fans focus so much on 4-3 or 3-4 in 2020. Teams play nickel and dime half the time in the pass-happy NFL.

No team is strictly 3-4 or 4-3 anymore. Multiple defenses rule the day.

That mess cost us Watts and got us Taco Bell instead.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
i know i've heard HC McCarthy make mentioned that the team plans to stay with a 4-3 base scheme, but i also have to wonder if these interests in early round like edge/middle LBs an indication of an "eventual " full time conversion to a 3-4 scheme .. or is it any indication of concern for the health (neck) of Vander Esch?

i'm hearing LSU Chassison, Penn State's Yetur Gross Matos, Wisconsin's LB Zack Baun ... Sooner's LB Kenneth Murray, ..among several others. these guys could easily be deemed as 3-4 edge rushers

..could Murray be an addition to the starting incumbent set.. or a replacement ?
Baun had a diluted drug test at the combine,, his stock is falling.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
I hope we draft 4 of the first 5 picks on defense. Pref DL safety CB LB not in that order. Tired of being push around like pansies on defense.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I hope we draft 4 of the first 5 picks on defense. Pref DL safety CB LB not in that order. Tired of being push around like pansies on defense.

Last 3 years is the only time besides 07 Dallas had a defense in 24 years lol that's sad.

quickccc

Reaction score
http://www.demarcusware94.com/bio.html
Scroll down to where Troy Coach Larry Blakeney talks about Wares size when he first entered the program.
6th paragraph.
Its strange to me as well, I could have sworn Ware was around 245 when we drafted him.

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=7278

i believe in always going with the NFL Combine when it comes to exact physical height and weight measurements up front and close and performed right there on the spot by NFL officials :cool:

ondaedg

Reaction score
j one leg still can't cut back on his leg

He can't or won't challenge an OL. Instead he tried to avoid him standing straight up and ended up being the easiest block of that offensive lineman's career.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
They were talking about it on 105.3 they also mentioned there’s an out in Jaylons contract coming up.
I can 100% guarantee we will be eating that dead money as soon as that option comes due. As was mentioned be many other people in this thread Jaylon is awful, LVE is a no show and Lee is old. IMHO LB is a massive need. Union is correct and someone should be fired but we all know that is not happening so we just keep trudging on.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score

This tweet seems to confirm they are going to be running some 3-4 which opens it up more to take a linebacker (inside or outside). It would also make me feel a bit better about Crawford since he's been a tweener in a 4-3.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
i know i've heard HC McCarthy make mentioned that the team plans to stay with a 4-3 base scheme, but i also have to wonder if these interests in early round like edge/middle LBs an indication of an "eventual " full time conversion to a 3-4 scheme .. or is it any indication of concern for the health (neck) of Vander Esch?

i'm hearing LSU Chassison, Penn State's Yetur Gross Matos, Wisconsin's LB Zack Baun ... Sooner's LB Kenneth Murray, ..among several others. these guys could easily be deemed as 3-4 edge rushers

..could Murray be an addition to the starting incumbent set.. or a replacement ?
actually if we can swing the 3-4, it will take a couple of years to convert since our current DTs and DEs don't match the scheme. but with that said, that would be a good fit for Smith and LVE since both are good MLBs and it allows both of them to roam the middle, attack the line....we just don't have that "demarcus ware" LB, which maybe easier to draft than finding a 4-3 RDE....

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Dallas is set up for a 3-4 alignment right now. The line could be McCoy and Crawford at end with Poe on the nose. D-Law can be one outside backer, with LVE and Jaylon in the middle.

That leaves the other outside spot open; hence the interest in Chaisson, Baun, and Murray.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Dallas is set up for a 3-4 alignment right now. The line could be McCoy and Crawford at end with Poe on the nose. D-Law can be one outside backer, with LVE and Jaylon in the middle.

That leaves the other outside spot open; hence the interest in Chaisson, Baun, and Murray.

Just thinking the same thing. We have guys who could play the NT position full time if needed.

And maybe Jaylon is the other outside lber. I sure as heck don't want to see him at mlb ever again.