Cowboys Lack of Receivers Could Cost Them Playoff Spot

waving monkey

Reaction score
B9727903.139902764;sz=1x1;ord=%%CACHEBUSTER%%;dc_lat=;dc_rdid=;tag_for_child_directed_treatment=

There’s no debate: the Cowboys are deficient at wide receiver. Entering training camp, the position boasted six to eight capable contributors … unfortunately, all of them would be third or fourth options on most teams. This offense suffered through shoddy receiver play last year and became inconsistent. Head coach Jason Garrett and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan must reshape their approach. Out with the spread formations that were built to emphasize Dez Bryant outside and Jason Witten inside. With receivers who cannot win on their own in space, an offense must manufacture aerial opportunities via designs from its running game. Those designs often come from condensed formations, where receivers can appear to be potential run-blockers.

The good news is a dominant O-line (more on that later) and an explosive, deceptive runner like Ezekiel Elliott, make Dallas’s ground game the best in football. It’s an almost unbeatable equation when you factor in Dak Prescott’s mobility, which can occupy unblocked defenders and, via rollout designs both real and fake, tame a defense’s backside pursuit.

To maximize that ground game, Garrett and Linehan should flavor it with more misdirection elements. Jet sweeps, end-arounds, decoy pull-blockers and multi-option zone reads would be great additions to Dallas’s staple ghost reverses and split-zone runs, where receivers and tight ends work back across the formation. The Cowboys are primed for this; if they weren’t, they would not have traded for ex-Ram Tavon Austin (and his $3 million cap number, which is more than five times pricier than similarly skilled 2017 fourth-rounder Ryan Switzer, who was shipped to Oakland in a separate deal).

Prescott is best-suited for a run-first offense—and that’s not a slight at his quarterbacking. He has what few mobile QBs possess: the poise and toughness to stay in the pocket and deliver with defenders closing in. That’s crucial for long-term development. But Prescott is not an aggressive anticipation passer like most of the league’s top pocket QBs. He’s a facilitator who can make second-reaction plays when need be. This type of skill set works great on play-action, bootlegs and rollouts—tactics, in other words, that stem from the running game.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/20/d...er.com&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_medium=social

DanA

Reaction score
I think there's a lot of debate about the deficiency of our WR's. I think they are a lot better than they're made out to be. IMO in the right conditions, Gallup and Austin can be high-quality options with TW, Beasley and Lenoir solid contributors.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
B9727903.139902764;sz=1x1;ord=%%CACHEBUSTER%%;dc_lat=;dc_rdid=;tag_for_child_directed_treatment=

There’s no debate: the Cowboys are deficient at wide receiver. Entering training camp, the position boasted six to eight capable contributors … unfortunately, all of them would be third or fourth options on most teams. This offense suffered through shoddy receiver play last year and became inconsistent. Head coach Jason Garrett and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan must reshape their approach. Out with the spread formations that were built to emphasize Dez Bryant outside and Jason Witten inside. With receivers who cannot win on their own in space, an offense must manufacture aerial opportunities via designs from its running game. Those designs often come from condensed formations, where receivers can appear to be potential run-blockers.

The good news is a dominant O-line (more on that later) and an explosive, deceptive runner like Ezekiel Elliott, make Dallas’s ground game the best in football. It’s an almost unbeatable equation when you factor in Dak Prescott’s mobility, which can occupy unblocked defenders and, via rollout designs both real and fake, tame a defense’s backside pursuit.

To maximize that ground game, Garrett and Linehan should flavor it with more misdirection elements
. Jet sweeps, end-arounds, decoy pull-blockers and multi-option zone reads would be great additions to Dallas’s staple ghost reverses and split-zone runs, where receivers and tight ends work back across the formation. The Cowboys are primed for this; if they weren’t, they would not have traded for ex-Ram Tavon Austin (and his $3 million cap number, which is more than five times pricier than similarly skilled 2017 fourth-rounder Ryan Switzer, who was shipped to Oakland in a separate deal).

Prescott is best-suited for a run-first offense—and that’s not a slight at his quarterbacking. He has what few mobile QBs possess: the poise and toughness to stay in the pocket and deliver with defenders closing in.
That’s crucial for long-term development. But Prescott is not an aggressive anticipation passer like most of the league’s top pocket QBs. He’s a facilitator who can make second-reaction plays when need be. This type of skill set works great on play-action, bootlegs and rollouts—tactics, in other words, that stem from the running game.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/20/d...er.com&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_medium=social

The "Dak Excuses" have already being set up I see......our problem isn't at WR its the QB baby......

Haimerej

Reaction score
I've long believed WRs are mostly just as good as the guy getting them the ball. Look what happened to Moss in OAK. Rice is praised as the greatest football player ever by some but he played with two HoFers the majority of his career. When the WR diva phenomenon started in the 90's I used to say, "What's the big deal? You run a pattern and hope the QB gets you the ball."

Yeah, there is an art to route running and some guys are better than others. But there are only so many patterns and most are designed to beat certain coverages. You sat in a hole in a zone? Am I supposed to be impressed? You won on a dig route against man coverage with outside leverage? You're supposed to.

Sure, there are physically gifted guys who can make things happen after the catch, too- but none of that matters if the QB doesn't make the right read and a good throw.

Some from the old DC forum may recall I wasn't sold on Dak even during his rookie year. My main concern was related to a criticism Landry had of Staubach. I recall Roger saying in an interview that Landry hated his scrambling because it meant he wasn't seeing the field. Basically, most pass plays are designed to beat any coverage thrown at it if properly executed. That's why I usually roll my eyes at the people who complain about playcalling, regardless of who they're criticizing. So I've personally never been a fan of seeing QBs take off. Makes me think they're missing something.

It wasn't until they whooped the Ravens #1 defense during Dak's rookie season that I thought it could work out. I still maintained that whole time that Zeke was the team MVP, even when everyone else seemed to be buying into Dak (who absolutely stole ORoY from Zeke that season).

Then last year Zeke got suspended and, imo, Dak was exposed. I don't want to believe he's that bad. But all this talk about how bad the previously productive WRs have become doesn't comfort me at all. It's almost like the propaganda machine (mainly Stephen) has been laying the ground work for excuses this whole offseason. Stephen said multiple times since Dez was released that Dak's struggles were due to him trying to force the ball to Dez and Witten. Dak fans and Dez haters have latched onto that narrative, but I'm not so sure how true it is. Yes, Dez dropped more passes than usual last year. No, I don't wish he was still on the team. Yes, Dez ran limited routes.

Anyway- I hope all this talk about how bad the WRs have become on this team isn't simply just scapegoating so they can defend the face of the franchise. I guess we're going to find out here in a few weeks. Should be fun to watch. Go Cowboys.

Jipper

Reaction score
Gallop is great at running routes and is pro ready...he will be solid

Twill is finally catching the ball like a pro and has chemistry with Dak already

Beasley is the best on the roster

Austin has speed and explosiveniess that we have been lacking for years

And we have 3 to 4 other guys for the last 2 spots...this is a group of solid second tier wrs with upside, not really a wr1 there but 4 wr2s...

With the way dak works best this is exactly the set up he needs.

My worry is at TE

Billyd

Reaction score
The tightends caught more passes inside and out, including the leading receiver, against the bengals..10/16...The only issue there (wr) is several injured three weeks away from the season starting..

I think the Cowboys are a ball control running offense, that throws for balance...I think the wide receiver group, will surprise the base and the Nfl..Three receivers with solid 2s numbers, five tds from the Tightends, all doable...Solid rb receptions.. I THINK concern over the wide receivers will be the smallest of any issues the Cowboys face..

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There’s no debate: the Cowboys are deficient at wide receiver. Entering training camp, the position boasted six to eight capable contributors … unfortunately, all of them would be third or fourth options on most teams.
The Bease, Gallup and Austin......all wouldn't be 3rd or 4th options on most teams.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

To maximize that ground game, Garrett and Linehan should flavor it with more misdirection elements. Jet sweeps, end-arounds, decoy pull-blockers and multi-option zone reads would be great additions to Dallas’s staple ghost reverses and split-zone runs, where receivers and tight ends work back across the formation. The Cowboys are primed for this; if they weren’t, they would not have traded for ex-Ram Tavon Austin (and his $3 million cap number, which is more than five times pricier than similarly skilled 2017 fourth-rounder Ryan Switzer, who was shipped to Oakland in a separate deal).

Prescott is best-suited for a run-first offense—and that’s not a slight at his quarterbacking. He has what few mobile QBs possess: the poise and toughness to stay in the pocket and deliver with defenders closing in. That’s crucial for long-term development. But Prescott is not an aggressive anticipation passer like most of the league’s top pocket QBs. He’s a facilitator who can make second-reaction plays when need be. This type of skill set works great on play-action, bootlegs and rollouts—tactics, in other words, that stem from the running game.

Of course there is room for debate. Thank God Columbus debated with Isabella about the earth being round versus flat. How about we actually play a game before making predictions like "we're deficient at WR". We are at the moment because of injuries to Bease, Thompson and Brown.

280701.jpg

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
The fact there is no clear cut TE plays into favor because the defense cant just sit on Witten and let him have his 5 yards.

Since about 2003, there was a clear cut favorite @ TE yet we made the playoffs 3 times. The answer ain't TE it's QB play, WR's running solid routes with some RAC, some TE, a whole lot of Zeke and the O-linen and an ever improving D. Lack of a clear cut lead TE and a supposed #1 WR will not sink this team. It's a nice to have not a need to have

Billyd

Reaction score
What if i told you, the last time the cowboys went to the playoffs, they did not have a ones production...

Billyd

Reaction score
The fact there is no clear cut TE plays into favor because the defense cant just sit on Witten and let him have his 5 yards.

That statement is vague..However in case you are not paying attention, Swaim and Jarwin are your tightends, Or bookends...BOTH capable of scoring 3-5 tds together..500 yards between them will duplicate Wittens production over the last five yearz avg..

THIS was for the previous post Hadenough..Thank you...

Billyd

Reaction score
THE Bease two years ago, was the best slot in the Nfl and led the team in yards in 2016...Bro you really havent researched enough to have correct stats to back your position..Like I said earlier, the WR Corps have a solid Nfl Stable of wr of a two level, who have produced recently, plus a rookie who is going to fill out this group well.

Tight ends I give you have not produced at Wittens level but i believe both can produce his volume recently..Plus the Middle of the field is now back in play for the 10-20 Seem routes or more..They started throwing there against Cincy..its going to be even uglier for your team..Lol

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
lmao... if they get open, then super bus driver better get them the ball.. sheezz. "Dez is whispering in Dak's ear, making him nervous" "Dak is getting pressured with one guy out".. get the guy something for nerves.. good grief....