Cowboys Lack of Receivers Could Cost Them Playoff Spot

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
"Garrett and Linehan should flavor it with more misdirection elements. Jet sweeps, end-arounds, decoy pull-blockers and multi-option zone reads would be great additions to Dallas’s staple ghost reverses and split-zone runs, where receivers and tight ends work back across the formation."

Nope. Very tired of jet sweeps and end arounds. Not convinced Dak will have the time for players to work back to the middle. Our Oline starters are among the best in the business, but I want Dak to deliver the ball quicker. He has worked to improve his release. Our Oline is beat up already and the scrub backups are just that. How healthy is our LT? Back? Knee?

I like the speed of several of our WR's. Quick passes combined with Zeke should equal more success. Gimmick plays do not win playoff games.

Totally agree. If we are going to run the spread and still try to run it, he’s got to get rid of the ball quicker. I don’t care if it’s a slant or a butroll or a seam or whatever but he’s got to get it to them early and let them try to slip a tackle. Dak can’t try to make football rocket science again this year. He can’t be back there going through 4 reads and then dumping it off to zeke or the tight end at the end of the play for 3 yards. Just run the damn play!!

Also agree gimmick plays don’t win playoff games. Look at the rams last year if you need an example. And as much as our defense might have improved, they aren’t as good as the rams d. And neither is our qb

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Funny how injuries and what not can shift the concern pain points.

At this stage, it is a blessing that there appears to be upside and they are relatively injury free at the position.

chagus

Reaction score
lmao... if they get open, then super bus driver better get them the ball.. sheezz. "Dez is whispering in Dak's ear, making him nervous" "Dak is getting pressured with one guy out".. get the guy something for nerves.. good grief....
The hate is strong with this one.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Proof that teams can win SB's without a #1 WR or with a bunch of guys.... try every SB win by the NE Patriots, try the Eagles last year and the Broncos last SB. By #1 WR I mean the guy who accounts for 1000 plus yards in receiving with 8-10 TD's. BTW, the last time we had a #1 WR was in 2014 and on top of that we had a pro-bowl TE.... the results 1 playoff win. Conclusion, it's a team sport and this is AT Least as good a team as 2014, possibly better with our revamped D. Unfortunate we're missing that great QB:rolleyes:

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Proof that teams can win SB's without a #1 WR or with a bunch of guys.... try every SB win by the NE Patriots, try the Eagles last year and the Broncos last SB. By #1 WR I mean the guy who accounts for 1000 plus yards in receiving with 8-10 TD's. BTW, the last time we had a #1 WR was in 2014 and on top of that we had a pro-bowl TE.... the results 1 playoff win. Conclusion, it's a team sport and this is AT Least as good a team as 2014, possibly better with our revamped D. Unfortunate we're missing that great QB:rolleyes:

Well Eagles Foles was never a so called great qb until his playoff run last year. Regular season Foles, not that great.

Blackrain

Reaction score
It's all about the OLine. If they are healthy and C-Will holds up at LG then Dak and the WRs will have success to go with Zeke's success.

If the OLine has problems then it won't matter who plays WR.

This x 10 If Tyrons back starts acting up it time to plan for the draft . IMO he is the most important player on this offense . If he is out Dak and Zeke will struggle. Oline needs to be top 5 this year and all the receivers will look good because we will consistently have manageable down and distance situations.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol - seriously folks? With 2 preseason games left we are already talking about the receivers costing us a playoff spot? I'll never understand why some feel it necessary to jump to conclusions before the evidence has even been gathered. Are they afraid that the receivers might actually do well, and if they waited to paint a dim picture they might miss the chance altogether? Come on folks, there will be plenty of time for gloom if the receivers don't work out, but in the meantime why not at least give them a chance to show what they can do?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
These articles are so lazy and simplistic. They have been popping up since the spring. And they are all from the national media, who don't really follow the team. Most of their reasoning is that Dez and Witten are no longer here. Have they been watching this team? Neither were factors at all and became net negatives, especially Dez. Dak will be fine with these WRs.

Defense is going to be the reason if we miss the playoffs, not the offense.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well Eagles Foles was never a so called great qb until his playoff run last year. Regular season Foles, not that great.
except that one year he had what 21 tds and 2 ints, id say that was pretty great..then mr stupid know it al traded him LOL

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
another personal attack from a poster who's feelings got hurt. everybody has an opinion, if your feelings get hurt by reading posts, maybe you're not mature enough to be on a board reading "opinions"

No, my feelings aren't hurt, I was under the impression that idiotic trolling re: Dak was banned from the site without exception. You posted an idiotic troll, and I wondered why it was allowed to stand.

plasticman

Reaction score
I think there is a debate.

During the last three seasons combined there has been 80 receivers that have caught a minimum of 100 passes. Two of them are currently Cowboys.

One of them , Beasley is ranked #11 in catch percentage. It may come as a surprise that Terrance is also ranked in the top half at #30. By the way, Dez was ranked #80, dead last. Both Cole and Williams have averaged 50 or more catches per season over these last three, two of them with Dak.

The Cowboy's have a 3rd guy on that list, Hurns, a veteran WR that is one year removed from a thousand yard season. Out of those 80 most productive receivers the last three seasons, Hurns is ranked #21 in yards per reception. Terrance is also ranked in the top half of that category at #32.

Keep in mind that if you were looking at the top three WR's on each team that would add up to 96 guys. The Cowboy's already have three of the most proven guys in the league and we aren't finished there.

The Cowboy's have a 3rd round pick with exciting potential. Yes, he's a rookie but did you know there have been four thousand yard rookie receivers in the past four seasons? One was a third round pick. I wouldn't bet against Gallup.

The Cowboy's have a guy with some special speed, Austin, a top ten draft pick and legitimate deep threat.

What many consider a detriment is actually this squad's greatest attribute. the fact that their accomplishments aren't in any recent history. Instead, they are in the future, a future that begins in three weeks.