Cowboys Lack of Receivers Could Cost Them Playoff Spot

The Natural

Reaction score
Rude awakening incoming. "The Bease" and Tavon "200 receiving yards a year" Austin are taking us to the promised land.

CWR

Reaction score
I think there's a lot of debate about the deficiency of our WR's. I think they are a lot better than they're made out to be. IMO in the right conditions, Gallup and Austin can be high-quality options with TW, Beasley and Lenoir solid contributors.

They will be better than last year. People get stuck on past performances and big names and ignore the fact both Dez and Wittens play had diminished.

What annoys me though is the fact we didnt bother to scheme because we had talent lol. No need to run a rub route cause Dez will win one on one wth?

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
lmao... if they get open, then super bus driver better get them the ball.. sheezz. "Dez is whispering in Dak's ear, making him nervous" "Dak is getting pressured with one guy out".. get the guy something for nerves.. good grief....
I thought stupidity like this was banned?

dwreck27

Reaction score
I hope all of these negative articles get put up on a bulletin board in the WR room. The amount of disrespect for them is unreal and it should start playing into their pride in themselves because it’s obvious everyone outside of cowboys locker room feels these boys are nothing more than 5 and 6 stringers

Sydla

Reaction score
THE Bease two years ago, was the best slot in the Nfl and led the team in yards in 2016...Bro you really havent researched enough to have correct stats to back your position..Like I said earlier, the WR Corps have a solid Nfl Stable of wr of a two level, who have produced recently, plus a rookie who is going to fill out this group well.

Tight ends I give you have not produced at Wittens level but i believe both can produce his volume recently..Plus the Middle of the field is now back in play for the 10-20 Seem routes or more..They started throwing there against Cincy..its going to be even uglier for your team..Lol

It’s an average WR corps. Unless Gallup or Austin somehow develop into an upper echelon WR.

Sydla

Reaction score
I hope all of these negative articles get put up on a bulletin board in the WR room. The amount of disrespect for them is unreal and it should start playing into their pride in themselves because it’s obvious everyone outside of cowboys locker room feels these boys are nothing more than 5 and 6 stringers

The disrespect angle is overplayed. They are what they are. Hopefully it’s enough or someone shocks us.

But let’s put it another way for some of you and try to be completely honest here.

If the Philadelphia Eagles were going to trot out our WR/TEs this coming year, what would many here be saying?

They’d be saying what a mediocre group of pass catchers that is and some would laugh at Philly.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Im optimistic and believe things will be better this year . There will be a guy that emerges from the pack that Dak will have chemistry with and maybe a couple guys . Im hoping Rico makes the team and can turn into a redzone threat . IMO more harm was being done trying to force the ball to guys with diminished skills .

We have some talented young guys and its time for the coaching staff to get there act together but since that wont happen a great Oline ,power running by Zeke that creates manageable down and distance situations is the next best thing .
It may not be a thing of beauty for some but we should be able to move the ball efficiently and score

blueblood70

Reaction score
[YOU CASNT KNOW
B9727903.139902764;sz=1x1;ord=%%CACHEBUSTER%%;dc_lat=;dc_rdid=;tag_for_child_directed_treatment=

There’s no debate: the Cowboys are deficient at wide receiver. Entering training camp, the position boasted six to eight capable contributors … unfortunately, all of them would be third or fourth options on most teams. This offense suffered through shoddy receiver play last year and became inconsistent. Head coach Jason Garrett and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan must reshape their approach. Out with the spread formations that were built to emphasize Dez Bryant outside and Jason Witten inside. With receivers who cannot win on their own in space, an offense must manufacture aerial opportunities via designs from its running game. Those designs often come from condensed formations, where receivers can appear to be potential run-blockers.

The good news is a dominant O-line (more on that later) and an explosive, deceptive runner like Ezekiel Elliott, make Dallas’s ground game the best in football. It’s an almost unbeatable equation when you factor in Dak Prescott’s mobility, which can occupy unblocked defenders and, via rollout designs both real and fake, tame a defense’s backside pursuit.

To maximize that ground game, Garrett and Linehan should flavor it with more misdirection elements. Jet sweeps, end-arounds, decoy pull-blockers and multi-option zone reads would be great additions to Dallas’s staple ghost reverses and split-zone runs, where receivers and tight ends work back across the formation. The Cowboys are primed for this; if they weren’t, they would not have traded for ex-Ram Tavon Austin (and his $3 million cap number, which is more than five times pricier than similarly skilled 2017 fourth-rounder Ryan Switzer, who was shipped to Oakland in a separate deal).

Prescott is best-suited for a run-first offense—and that’s not a slight at his quarterbacking. He has what few mobile QBs possess: the poise and toughness to stay in the pocket and deliver with defenders closing in. That’s crucial for long-term development. But Prescott is not an aggressive anticipation passer like most of the league’s top pocket QBs. He’s a facilitator who can make second-reaction plays when need be. This type of skill set works great on play-action, bootlegs and rollouts—tactics, in other words, that stem from the running game.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/20/d...er.com&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_medium=social

you cant know this until we have ALL our starters on the field for real games..lets give this shot with Beasly, Gallup, Hurns, and Austin all playing full games with game plans and zeke behind Dak for 60mins..talk to me week 5 and maybe we can debate it then..

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
What if i told you, the last time the cowboys went to the playoffs, they did not have a ones production...

They may not have had a #1 production but they did have a number 1 receiver, only issue was he only played in 12 games and was playing hurt in a couple of others. Yet he still had 50 catches and a 16 YPC average and 8 TD's and was contantly double teamed. And in that playoff game he had 9 catches for 132 and 2 TD's...we lost for other reasons. He may not have been the same guy last year ( i haven't really made my mind up on that yet), but in 2016 when he played he was a Number 1 receiver when he was on the field

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
So basically it's another Dak sucks article. If Wentz was the qb, I guarantee this article wouldn't have been written.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I didnt open the link yet but did it show the 12 playoff teams and their WR cores production? off hand I believe most of them had make shift WR cores, nothing special and not one that stood out as a #1? seems to Me Jacksonville, NE, and Philly used WR by Committee and spread the ball around but that off memory.. MN has some solid WRs but none that are destined for the HOF?who else was in there?Titans, nope no super WRs, I know ATL has some good wr and one great one but they didnt make it to the NFCG..Pittsburgh has a great one and some good ones and Bell, they should have made it to the SB with that roster , right? they got beat by the Jags with Hurns as their #1 and bortles at QB, doesnt that what we have now ?

DFWJC

Reaction score
You know when someone claims "there's no debate" before several of the players have ever even played a real game as a Dallas Cowboy, that you don't need to read any further.

You can predict whatever you want, but not say there is no debate.

How's this for a prediction:
This year's WR group will statistically outperform last year's group.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I seem to recall many playoff teams last season who had an average to weak a WR corps. Buffalo, Tennessee, Jacksonville, LA Rams weren't all that, Patriots, Panthers, Eagles to an extent....

These sports journalists are garbage. We actually haven't even seen the WR group, as a complete unit, even play yet. Shut up.

Sydla

Reaction score
I didnt open the link yet but did it show the 12 playoff teams and their WR cores production? off hand I believe most of them had make shift WR cores, nothing special and not one that stood out as a #1? seems to Me Jacksonville, NE, and Philly used WR by Committee and spread the ball around but that off memory.. MN has some solid WRs but none that are destined for the HOF?who else was in there?Titans, nope no super WRs, I know ATL has some good wr and one great one but they didnt make it to the NFCG..Pittsburgh has a great one and some good ones and Bell, they should have made it to the SB with that roster , right? they got beat by the Jags with Hurns as their #1 and bortles at QB, doesnt that what we have now ?

NE has Brady, arguably the greatest QB of all time. So that's a big mitigant to not having a pure #1 WR.

Philly had Jeffery, who by most accounts, is at least a 1B type WR. We don't have a Jeffery on this team.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
it wont be the wr that derail this season and be the reason they don't make the playoffs it will be injuries poor qb play and poor coaching if it happens