Cowboys Lack of Receivers Could Cost Them Playoff Spot

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
The "Dak Excuses" have already being set up I see......our problem isn't at WR its the QB baby......

No kidding. This is what they wanted. They weren’t forced into these receivers, they wanted these receivers. Specifically the qb wanted these receivers. The receivers don’t get the blame here if it doesn’t work out. And neither does the o-line or zeke, or the defense.

Sydla

Reaction score
Untill he got hurt from running too much...Ill still take mine...i still cant figure out why Pff thought phillys line is that improved..your starting qb takes off at the slightest hint of pressure, and finally gets,hurt, so lets anmoint them....Yeah I said it..and they get to prove it!

He got hurt on a QB sneak.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Cowboys lack of safeties could cost them a playoff spot...Cowboys lack of offensive line depth could cost them a playoff spot...Cowboys lack of a decent back up QB could cost them a playoff spot...Cowboys coaching deficiencies could cost them a playoff spot...Cowboys front office blunders could cost them a playoff spot...

Sydla

Reaction score
What did they trot out last year at WR? A banged up Alshon Jeffery? Torrey Smith they jettisoned? Algalor which going into the season was seen as a first round pick bust at slot?

I’m not gonna touch TEs because that’s not what OP was about

Look I get you love dez or like having high madden score WRs on your team but even last years super bowl champs your own example legit went got some JAGs kept a jag bust and won the super bowl lol

Well first, I don't "love" Dez but it's interesting that people automatically assume that if you have issues with what we have accumulated at WR one must be a real Dez lover. I didn't think they would move on from him personally but I wasn't losing sleep if they did. My issue with the Dez situation is that I feel they kind of scapegoated him for our passing game issues when it was more than just Dez.

Second Jeffery is better than any WR we have on our roster. Sure, he might have some injury issues, but talent wise, he'd be the best WR on this team and it wouldn't even be close. And you can try to not touch the TEs, but it's a factor here. In other words, if we had a couple of stud TEs already, it would take some pressure off what is an average WR corps. But we don't have that.

conner01

Reaction score
I think there's a lot of debate about the deficiency of our WR's. I think they are a lot better than they're made out to be. IMO in the right conditions, Gallup and Austin can be high-quality options with TW, Beasley and Lenoir solid contributors.
I’m not concerned about WR
I’m concerned about Fred
I’m concerned about depth
I’m concerned about TE
I’m concerned about safety

Billyd

Reaction score
Well first, I don't "love" Dez but it's interesting that people automatically assume that if you have issues with what we have accumulated at WR one must be a real Dez lover. I didn't think they would move on from him personally but I wasn't losing sleep if they did. My issue with the Dez situation is that I feel they kind of scapegoated him for our passing game issues when it was more than just Dez.

Second Jeffery is better than any WR we have on our roster. Sure, he might have some injury issues, but talent wise, he'd be the best WR on this team and it wouldn't even be close. And you can try to not touch the TEs, but it's a factor here. In other words, if we had a couple of stud TEs already, it would take some pressure off what is an average WR corps. But we don't have that.

Really..I admit him and Angwlor got out of their funk...Doesnt mean they at same or higher level this season...Further why are you getting out of scope...Focus..What is really funny is Dez and Butler only receivers gone from last year..Twill, Beasley, Two starters, Still on this team..Down years or not, i believe if DEZ. What we replacing on WR, then COMBO ALLEN HURNS, Austin Handle...Witten alibi his game smarts and clutch catchin, production can be matched by our two tightends..Last..And this one is interesting..Dak throws for another 3600 yards..Cut down the ints..We good..I want more but the point is, Easier to manufacture the production numbers.. Bahahahaha

Sydla

Reaction score
Really..I admit him and Angwlor got out of their funk...Doesnt mean they at same or higher level this season...Further why are you getting out of scope...Focus..What is really funny is Dez and Butler only receivers gone from last year..Twill, Beasley, Two starters, Still on this team..Down years or not, i believe if DEZ. What we replacing on WR, then COMBO ALLEN HURNS, Austin Handle...Witten alibi his game smarts and clutch catchin, production can be matched by our two tightends..Last..And this one is interesting..Dak throws for another 3600 yards..Cut down the ints..We good..I want more but the point is, Easier to manufacture the production numbers.. Bahahahaha

Most agree what we had last year wasn't good enough.

If the argument is now, well hey, we aren't worse than last year, how much sense does that make?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
This is what happens when you have 3- 10m dollar OL

You end up with less than TEs and WRs

And then you chase off the only play makers because they get too emotional or make rap songs in the offseason

pansophy

Reaction score
B9727903.139902764;sz=1x1;ord=%%CACHEBUSTER%%;dc_lat=;dc_rdid=;tag_for_child_directed_treatment=

There’s no debate: the Cowboys are deficient at wide receiver. Entering training camp, the position boasted six to eight capable contributors … unfortunately, all of them would be third or fourth options on most teams. This offense suffered through shoddy receiver play last year and became inconsistent. Head coach Jason Garrett and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan must reshape their approach. Out with the spread formations that were built to emphasize Dez Bryant outside and Jason Witten inside. With receivers who cannot win on their own in space, an offense must manufacture aerial opportunities via designs from its running game. Those designs often come from condensed formations, where receivers can appear to be potential run-blockers.

The good news is a dominant O-line (more on that later) and an explosive, deceptive runner like Ezekiel Elliott, make Dallas’s ground game the best in football. It’s an almost unbeatable equation when you factor in Dak Prescott’s mobility, which can occupy unblocked defenders and, via rollout designs both real and fake, tame a defense’s backside pursuit.

To maximize that ground game, Garrett and Linehan should flavor it with more misdirection elements. Jet sweeps, end-arounds, decoy pull-blockers and multi-option zone reads would be great additions to Dallas’s staple ghost reverses and split-zone runs, where receivers and tight ends work back across the formation. The Cowboys are primed for this; if they weren’t, they would not have traded for ex-Ram Tavon Austin (and his $3 million cap number, which is more than five times pricier than similarly skilled 2017 fourth-rounder Ryan Switzer, who was shipped to Oakland in a separate deal).

Prescott is best-suited for a run-first offense—and that’s not a slight at his quarterbacking. He has what few mobile QBs possess: the poise and toughness to stay in the pocket and deliver with defenders closing in. That’s crucial for long-term development. But Prescott is not an aggressive anticipation passer like most of the league’s top pocket QBs. He’s a facilitator who can make second-reaction plays when need be. This type of skill set works great on play-action, bootlegs and rollouts—tactics, in other words, that stem from the running game.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/20/d...er.com&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_medium=social
Strangely I'm not worried about the WR's. I'm more worried about Dak being able to get them the ball in places that prevent the defense from clogging the middle of the field. We have more speed this year, so that is something that has changed, and Dak has improved on the deep ball. That fact may keep the safeties back to have to protect the deep sideline and prevent them from clogging the middle of the field.

I've complained that Dak can't hit the 10-20 yard pass on the sideline, but throwing the go route might solve the same scheme problem and it is something that Dak was already good at. So improving a strength rather than a weakness. Hopefully works.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Untill he got hurt from running too much...Ill still take mine...i still cant figure out why Pff thought phillys line is that improved..your starting qb takes off at the slightest hint of pressure, and finally gets,hurt, so lets anmoint them....Yeah I said it..and they get to prove it!

He doesn't run anymore than Dak does, he just got hit the wrong way, same thing could happen to Dak any time he runs and this year Dak may run even more if they are in the RPO, i hope he doesn't that never ends well for a QB but he might this season

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
B9727903.139902764;sz=1x1;ord=%%CACHEBUSTER%%;dc_lat=;dc_rdid=;tag_for_child_directed_treatment=

There’s no debate: the Cowboys are deficient at wide receiver. Entering training camp, the position boasted six to eight capable contributors … unfortunately, all of them would be third or fourth options on most teams. This offense suffered through shoddy receiver play last year and became inconsistent. Head coach Jason Garrett and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan must reshape their approach. Out with the spread formations that were built to emphasize Dez Bryant outside and Jason Witten inside. With receivers who cannot win on their own in space, an offense must manufacture aerial opportunities via designs from its running game. Those designs often come from condensed formations, where receivers can appear to be potential run-blockers.

The good news is a dominant O-line (more on that later) and an explosive, deceptive runner like Ezekiel Elliott, make Dallas’s ground game the best in football. It’s an almost unbeatable equation when you factor in Dak Prescott’s mobility, which can occupy unblocked defenders and, via rollout designs both real and fake, tame a defense’s backside pursuit.

To maximize that ground game, Garrett and Linehan should flavor it with more misdirection elements. Jet sweeps, end-arounds, decoy pull-blockers and multi-option zone reads would be great additions to Dallas’s staple ghost reverses and split-zone runs, where receivers and tight ends work back across the formation. The Cowboys are primed for this; if they weren’t, they would not have traded for ex-Ram Tavon Austin (and his $3 million cap number, which is more than five times pricier than similarly skilled 2017 fourth-rounder Ryan Switzer, who was shipped to Oakland in a separate deal).

Prescott is best-suited for a run-first offense—and that’s not a slight at his quarterbacking. He has what few mobile QBs possess: the poise and toughness to stay in the pocket and deliver with defenders closing in. That’s crucial for long-term development. But Prescott is not an aggressive anticipation passer like most of the league’s top pocket QBs. He’s a facilitator who can make second-reaction plays when need be. This type of skill set works great on play-action, bootlegs and rollouts—tactics, in other words, that stem from the running game.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/20/d...er.com&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_medium=social

Sports Illustrated -- Their pictures are better than their words.

Our receivers will be just as good as our QB.

Big_D

Reaction score
Actually the Cowboys are better off at WR this year than last year. Dez had an awful catch rate and Witten didnt run anything but 5 yards and turn around. The coaches think Dak doesnt needs a #1 guy and he doesnt either.

Absolutely. They added more speed and that will be a welcome change of pace. I love Witten, but at this point rather see those 87 targets going to guys like Austin and Zeke. Guys who can score from anywhere. There will be plenty of opportunities in the passing game.

Reaction score
[YOU CASNT KNOW

you cant know this until we have ALL our starters on the field for real games..lets give this shot with Beasly, Gallup, Hurns, and Austin all playing full games with game plans and zeke behind Dak for 60mins..talk to me week 5 and maybe we can debate it then..
This is an article from Sports Illustrated. The job of the writer is to predict what the season holds for the Cowboys.

So yes, he doesn't KNOW what will happen. They are projections based on what he is seeing today. And what he sees are average at best WR's and below average TE's.

Nothing he wrote seems out to line to me. I believe this is a 8 or 9 win team that may win another game or 2 if the passing game can click.

This is a stacked NFC. Making the playoffs will require double digit wins. Even 10 wins may not be enough.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Cowboys lack of safeties could cost them a playoff spot...Cowboys lack of offensive line depth could cost them a playoff spot...Cowboys lack of a decent back up QB could cost them a playoff spot...Cowboys coaching deficiencies could cost them a playoff spot...Cowboys front office blunders could cost them a playoff spot...
But haven't they addressed all those issues already!

Reaction score
Until they prove otherwise that’s pretty much what they are. In the world of sports a player has to earn respect and so far these guys haven’t done it. I’m not saying they won’t but I think the cricism and questions are fair.

Honestly, I’m pretty skeptical myself. I hope I’m wrong but I need to see results before saying these guys are the answer. I’m pretty surprised how many people are drinking the kool aid this early.
Agreed

Reaction score
Until they prove otherwise that’s pretty much what they are. In the world of sports a player has to earn respect and so far these guys haven’t done it. I’m not saying they won’t but I think the cricism and questions are fair.

Honestly, I’m pretty skeptical myself. I hope I’m wrong but I need to see results before saying these guys are the answer. I’m pretty surprised how many people are drinking the kool aid this early.
Dak will also need to do his part.

His biggest weakness as I see it is throwing outside the numbers from the pocket. I know they have been working on it along with throwing deep.

Bottom line is that we will know a lot more by the end of October. But if it's not going well half of this fanbase will blame Dak and the other half will blame lack of receiving targets.

All in all, we may be in for a long year if things start going sideways on the field.