Cowboys LB'ers 2020

John813

Reaction score
It wasn’t all on Nolan. Jaylon has been this way since he stepped on the field here. He’s just not instinctive.

Trying to recall the 2019 season but I thought they were reacting too with the trio of Rod, Richard and Bloom as coaches.

Been purging those memories so can't recall really.

Praxit

Reaction score
Vander Esch showed some real signs of being special and I still have hope for him but Smith never has been special. He's supposed to make the most tackles and preferably more for a loss instead of being the LB to lead the league ii tackles for gain.

No question the scheme of the DC affects the LB's probably more than any other position on the D so we'll see if Quinn can help them.
...Smith plays up to the levels of his counterparts. Kinda strange, he rubs off them. If we can get better this year, Smith will also improve. In the "Swipe", we believe. ..:)
giphy.gif

blueblood70

Reaction score
yes when you see Sean Lee taking bad angles and picking the wrong holes, something's wrong, we all know hes smart and when helathy a great LB, none of our defenders looked like themselves for whatever reason..a full step or more late

Blitzen

Reaction score
If you watch them play, any one of them, you'll see they are mostly in reactive mode. The play starts and they hesitate and wait for a second to decide what to do. It's like they were going through a series of options on what they should do when they should be reacting instinctively. That's all on Nolan. Thank God he's gone and maybe they can get back to playing like they did before.[/QUO

Best to draft any and all defensive positions where the player would upgrade the team the most. Weakest position on the team is likely still DT, then safety/linebacker/CB (because of LVE and Smith past injuries and subsequent performance). Let's not kid ourselves. Defense is questionable on almost every level from a talent or availability perspective. Forget Nolan and his failed system, this team needs massive investments on the defense to make real difference.

CWR

Reaction score
Vander Esch showed some real signs of being special and I still have hope for him but Smith never has been special. He's supposed to make the most tackles and preferably more for a loss instead of being the LB to lead the league ii tackles for gain.

No question the scheme of the DC affects the LB's probably more than any other position on the D so we'll see if Quinn can help them.

I actually thought Jaylon was pretty damn good in 2018. Then again that seems like ages ago now.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Jaylon and LVE had questions to answer coming into the season, and both seemed to get worse. Give Nolan his blame, but those LBs weren't tearing up the league. It would be smart to add a KJ Wright and/or draft some LBs.
They weren’t because of the reasons stated in the OP.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Having a good / great line that generates penetration will improve the LB play. It's only natural however that only goes so far

Jaylon...Might arguably be the dumbest no instinct LB in football, runs like he has a diaper fool of poo
LVE...One good hit away from ending his career and seems to play scared now. Can't stay healthy

We badly need to move on from both asap
You don’t lose instincts from one years to the next.

fivetwos

Reaction score
You don’t lose instincts from one years to the next.
True, but 54 is a huge enigma.

I have no idea what to think of what is going on with that man.

He definitely didn't check out because of the contract. Plays hard.

The Nolan scheme certainly didn't help but still....

Reactions: CWR

fivetwos

Reaction score
I actually thought Jaylon was pretty damn good in 2018. Then again that seems like ages ago now.
He was.

Him, LVE, DL and Gregory were all playing at a high level at the right time that year.

The Rams simply came up with a way to pound us inside and knew we would never adjust during the game.

Classic example of being very outcoached.

That whole refusing to ever adjust deal with Garrett was extremely maddening.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
ONLY way I do that is if they are able to draft Pitts at 10 and trade Gallup for at least a 2nd this year. Especially with the top end talent at our weakness - CB/LB/DT

Pitts w/ 10
Horn/Newsome/Collins/Moehrig w/ 2nd 1st (Next years 1st, our 3rd and 5th or 6th rounder)
Stokes/Grant with our 2nd
Nixon/McNeil with trade for Gallup
Eichenberg/Little/Shelvin with comp 3rd

The rest would be gravy
With Gallup..I’d probably say him and a 2nd may get you in the first.

CWR

Reaction score
He was.

Him, LVE, DL and Gregory were all playing at a high level at the right time that year.

The Rams simply came up with a way to pound us inside and knew we would never adjust during the game.

Classic example of being very outcoached.

That whole refusing to ever adjust deal with Garrett was extremely maddening.

Yes, they used our aggression against us, and we either ran right by CJ Anderson or got swallowed by blockers. That had to be one of the most frustrating games I've ever seen. When you can pound the rock like that it's completely demoralizing for the opposition.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
True, but 54 is a huge enigma.

I have no idea what to think of what is going on with that man.

He definitely didn't check out because of the contract. Plays hard.

The Nolan scheme certainly didn't help but still....
This year could well be his last if he again plays like last year. No more excuses.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think that’s an unfair assessment of Jaylon, he’s played behind a terrible defensive line and has to clean up their crap. If the Dline could stop the run, we would be singing a different tune when it comes to Jaylon.

The dline was terrible, but Jaylon often was too. Didn't fill gaps that were there. Often ran himself out of plays.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Doesn't fill gaps. Just waits behind the dline. Often runs away.

Sydla

Reaction score
Ever notice that once a coach is gone, Rockport criticizes them as if he knew all along they were bad. But when people were rightfully criticizing the Nolan hire and then his coaching during the season, those people were "haters". LOL.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Having a good / great line that generates penetration will improve the LB play. It's only natural however that only goes so far

Jaylon...Might arguably be the dumbest no instinct LB in football, runs like he has a diaper fool of poo
LVE...One good hit away from ending his career and seems to play scared now. Can't stay healthy

We badly need to move on from both asap
Not sure if it's ignorance by smith but he's obviously ducking contact which is totally opposite of what the LB position is all about. I think he's playing with priority #1 of not getting hurt (again). If that is the case, he's no use to us.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Really that would shock me for Parsons to be there beyond 10
Limited impact position IMO.

Not as much of a knock on him as much as there big surprises in every draft.

I think him sliding is a story in this one.....which probably means he will go top 5 lol.