Cowboys Legend Everson Walls Agrees to Answer Your Questions

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Former Dallas Cowboys CB Everson Walls has agreed to answer your questions. I will submit them to him on March 3rd, so you have 2 weeks to think about what you'd like to ask him.

Please keep the questions serious. Ridiculous questions will not be submitted.

There are a couple of other Cowboys legends in the works too. Enjoy

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Mr. Walls coming out of College you went undrafted... Did that make you question yourself if you really could play in NFL and had to prove it to yourself as well as the Cowboys or were you pretty confident that the NFL had made a mistake and you just had to step on the field and show them.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Mr. Walls,

being a former CB, what do you think of Jacque Reeves? and is too much youth on a roster a bad thing? do you think we have enough leaders on this team?

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
What stadium was your favorite one to visit and play in? Which moment would you consider your defining moment in your pro career?

Ren

Reaction score
Mr Wallas, what do you think of the DBs in this years draft class?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mr. Walls, you'll forever be tied to "The Catch," simply because its the one play you didn't make in that game. In your opinion, what were some of the biggest plays you made in your career?

After your organ donation to Ron Springs (Continued prayers and thoughts for him and his family), how has your life changed, mentally and physically?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Mr. Walls:

Who was the greatest -- or most difficult to play against -- player you ever faced in an NFL game.

And what is the dumbest question anyone has asked you in regards to your playing in the NFL? Such as, "If you could be a tree, what tree would you be?"

CoCo

Reaction score
Everson,

One of the hardest parts of that 1989 season for me was Jimmy's decision to move you out. In your opinion was that an issue of Jimmy wanting no remnants of former leadership on the team? Would you have preferred to stay even though it meant being a part of the team hitting rock bottom before the rebuilding began?

I know it worked out well for you because of the contributions you made in NY too.

DavyBaby

Reaction score
Mr Walls,

The 1980s saw the steady decline of the Dallas Cowboys. From your front seat perspective, what were the key factors in the decline:

> Did Coach Landry's coaching schemes become outdated? Flex becoming obsolete etc.

> A failure to properly retain key talent (Clinkscale, & Thurmond come to mind)

> or was it primarily terrible drafting?

Your thoughts please --thank you!

Second question: Who was the best pro coach you ever played for? Landry, Parcells or Belacheck?

Thank you

PS --You are one of my all time favorite players

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DavyBaby;1960509 said:
Mr Walls,

The 1980s saw the steady decline of the Dallas Cowboys. From your front seat perspective, what were the key factors in the decline:

> Did Coach Landry's coaching schemes become outdated? Flex becoming obsolete etc.

> A failure to properly retain key talent (Clinkscale, & Thurmond come to mind)

> or was it primarily terrible drafting?

Your thoughts please --thank you!

Second question: Who was the best pro coach you ever played for? Landry, Parcells or Belacheck?

Thank you

PS --You are one of my all time favorite players
Great questions.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I believe with your knowledge gained from the likes of Coach Landry, Coach Parcells, and Coach Belichick, you would have made an excellent DB coach and eventually a Defensive Coordinator. After your career was over, why did you not pursue a career in coaching?

You are my favorite Cowboys CB of all-time. Have you been contacted about being inducted in the Ring of Honor?

I feel you have the career stats, with more INTs than Mel Renfro (52), Willie Brown (54), and Lem Barney (56), as well as the same as Mel Blount (57), to be considered for the Hall of Fame. What are your thoughts on possibly being a Hall of Fame candidate and what do you feel your chances would be of being elected?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Mr. Walls, you are the only player in NFL history to lead the NFL in Interceptions in three different seasons and you're in the top 10 all time in career interceptions, yet no one ever talks about you for hall of fame consideration. Do you think this is due to the anti-cowboys bias in the media?

Also, alot of people that don't know any better mainly remember you for being involved in "the Catch". Do you ever point out to those people that you had 2 ints and a fumble recovery in that game (not 100% sure if those stats are correct, but they're close)?

Thank you for your time, Mr. Walls.

Everson24

Reaction score
Everson,
You weren't drafted in 1981 because they said you lacked speed and came from a small school. But you became one of the best at your position because of an uncanny feel for the routes, the ability to play the ball and great hands. Can of these traits be taught to some of our current set of cornerbacks? QB's have no fear of throwing at our CB's because there is little chance for an INT.
By the way the 1981 Championship game againat the Niners is still the loss that hurts me the most. I thought we had it when you got your second INT.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
What was it like for you to go from Grambling State to the Dallas Cowboys, and how would you compare and contrast playing for Eddie Robinson and Tom Landry?

What was your funniest memory of something that happened while on the Cowboys?

khiladi

Reaction score
Everson,

What does Roy Williams need to do to work on his game? ;)

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Everson24;1960827 said:
Everson,
You weren't drafted in 1981 because they said you lacked speed and came from a small school. But you became one of the best at your position because of an uncanny feel for the routes, the ability to play the ball and great hands. Can of these traits be taught to some of our current set of cornerbacks? QB's have no fear of throwing at our CB's because there is little chance for an INT.
By the way the 1981 Championship game againat the Niners is still the loss that hurts me the most. I thought we had it when you got your second INT.

Secondary follow up question on this....

Do you feel the front 4 pressure on the QB's resulted in many more chances for interceprions by you?

Wimbo

Reaction score
The head coaches you played under read like a "Top-5 Greatest Coaches of All Time" list. Considering that you played for Eddie Robinson, Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, and Bill Belichick... Which coach had the greatest impact on you as a player and as a man? If these coaches were all in their prime and you had to pick one to play for, which man would you pick?

The Grim Reaper

Benched
Reaction score
I hope this doesn't sound ghoulish given my username, but whose death impacted your life more, Eddie Robinson's or Tom Landry's, and how did their lives affect the man you are that you could donate a kidney to a teammate?

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Everson,

Was there a teammate of yours that took you under their wing, while you were a rookie, and showed you how to apply your talent to the NFL and contribute the best way possible?

Or similarly, which teammate do you feel helped your game the most?

Lastly, that was an incredible feat of humanity you showed helping Ron Springs with your kidney donation. That was truly a first class thing you did.

Best wishes always...

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
aardvark;1961596 said:
Everson,

Was there a teammate of yours that took you under their wing, while you were a rookie, and showed you how to apply your talent to the NFL and contribute the best way possible?

Or similarly, which teammate do you feel helped your game the most?

Lastly, that was an incredible feat of humanity you showed helping Ron Stone with your kidney donation. That was truly a first class thing you did.

Best wishes always...

Ron Springs......