Video: Cowboys made a mistake dragging out Dak’s contract

HungryLion

Reaction score
We were very good on offense.. Against bad teams..

The turnover differential is an excuse.. Our team was built to keep teams point totals low.. They had no interest in taking the ball away.

We should all probably have a discussion about how flawed that defensive philosophy was.

yes the defense focused on keeping opposing scoring down (every defense does)

Yet wasn’t focused on creating turnovers and had zero qualms about allowing the opposing offense to have free yards up and down the field, where they constantly flipped field position and consistently put the cowboys offense in situations where they had to drive the ball 80 yards against good defenses to score.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
You can give Dak $40Mill per IF the terms/conditions are right so that his cap hit is only $30Mill.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
It’s not just stats. He improved.
The “elevate the team around him” argument isn’t actually a measure of anything. It’s just a vague criticism with no measurement attached that attempts to make a negative where there really aren’t any. We had a very productive offense last season.

What hurt us was turnover differential and ST. Neither of those are really on Dak.

Consider the road games against contenders NE, NO and PHI - the defense gave up about a dozen points in those games. Yet the ‘improved’ Dak couldn’t mount enough of an offense to prevail in important contests where the Defense showed.

Games are won by two or three plays - seasons determined by two or three games. Maybe you are willing to excuse him, but many of us whom are ALSO diehard Cowboys fans feel certain that Dak did not do enough when the chips were down. And we have NOTHING to apologize for in having that view.

garyo1954

Reaction score
It’s not just stats. He improved.
The “elevate the team around him” argument isn’t actually a measure of anything. It’s just a vague criticism with no measurement attached that attempts to make a negative where there really aren’t any. We had a very productive offense last season.

What hurt us was turnover differential and ST. Neither of those are really on Dak.

I'd like to agree but I can't. Most players improve in a contract year. They bear down, they focus, they know they are playing for their next contract.

Then they go flat, lose focus, get comfy, whatever you want to call it.

No telling what they would do if they had the same focus, the same discipline, desire, determination the years prior to the big prove it contract years.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Fanbases often debate about whether their teams' young QB should be re-signed or not. So let's take a look at some of those young QB's that have garnered a debate.

Cam Newton
RG3
David Carr
Ryan Tannehill
Geno Smith
Jamies Winston
Tyrod Taylor
Alex Smith
Blake Bortles
Marcus Mariota
Nick Foles
Sam Bradford
Teddy Bridgewater
Kirk Cousins

And now Dak Prescott. Point being, if a QB can't unite the fanbases' support then you might not to bet the house on that guy. Mike White was suppose to be our contingency plan but he didn't even workout. So I say keep Dak but keep looking also. Better safe than sorry.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Fanbases often debate about whether their teams' young QB should be re-signed or not. So let's take a look at some of those young QB's that have garnered a debate.

Cam Newton
RG3
David Carr
Ryan Tannehill
Geno Smith
Jamies Winston
Tyrod Taylor
Alex Smith
Blake Bortles
Marcus Mariota
Nick Foles
Sam Bradford
Teddy Bridgewater
Kirk Cousins

And now Dak Prescott. Point being, if a QB can't unite the fanbases' support then you might not to bet the house on that guy. Mike White was suppose to be our contingency plan but he didn't even workout. So I say keep Dak but keep looking also. Better safe than sorry.

Dude fanbases just about everywhere complaint about their QB’s. Honestly, you think it’s just cowboy fans and just Dak? Lol

This fanbase argued about Romo non stop. Still does.

uniting the fanbase is the worst way for a franchise to make personnel decisions.

If the cowboys do move on from Dak and draft a QB. The fanbase will be arguing against that QB everytime he throws a pick or has a bad game too.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Dude fanbases just about everywhere complaint about their QB’s. Honestly, you think it’s just cowboy fans and just Dak? Lol

uniting the fanbase is the worst way for a franchise to make personnel decisions.

If the cowboys do move on from Dak and draft a QB. The fanbase will be arguing against that QB everytime he throws a pick or has a bad game too.
That last line is honestly a lie if the QB is worth anything at first. Heck for the most part I didn't start saying anything about Dak until year 3. First year was awesome, second/third were eh, and this year while good for fantasy geeks dude played like basura against winning teams. At best he's been 50/50 on good/bad years aka average. Yes average players get discussions on them if he was Mahommes or even Watson I'm sure there is less discussion a one their fan bases than ours with Dak.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score

Patrick Mahomes
Aaron Rodgers
Andrew Luck
Ben Roethlisberger
Russell Wilson
Sam Donald
Mathew Stafford
Matt Ryan
Deshaun Watson
Josh Allen
Jared Goff

Are all QB's that have/has an overwhelming majority of support from their teams fanbase, while being very young to this league. The fans definitely wanted/wants those guys to get a second contract.

I'm not talking about their play pissing people off. I'm talking about that second contract. Some QB's second contract are a lock according to their fanbase. Some QB's bring forth a serious discussion among fans when it comes to their second contract. Some are loved. Some are questioned. That's just a fact.

HungryLion

Reaction score
That last line is honestly a lie if the QB is worth anything at first. Heck for the most part I didn't start saying anything about Dak until year 3. First year was awesome, second/third were eh, and this year while good for fantasy geeks dude played like basura against winning teams. At best he's been 50/50 on good/bad years aka average. Yes average players get discussions on them if he was Mahommes or even Watson I'm sure there is less discussion a one their fan bases than ours with Dak.

No it’s not a lie. Sure the most
Elite QB’s don’t get flak.

But there’s a lot of assumption that a drafted QB would end up elite.

If the cowboys signed somebody like rivers or Tannehill or Winston you think there wouldn’t be arguing and complaining about them? Not a chance.

same fanbase that booed Troy Aikman at the end. A guy who won the franchise 3 superbowls. People argued about Romo all the time and still do despite him being retired for 3 years. And romo
Was a top 5 QB for a stretch of his career.

my comments aren’t really about Dak and his overall play. It’s about fanbases in general. If the team doesn’t win. They throw anyone under the bus. Especially the QB no matter how good they are or aren’t.

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score
Patrick Mahomes
Aaron Rodgers
Andrew Luck
Ben Roethlisberger
Russell Wilson
Sam Donald
Mathew Stafford
Matt Ryan
Deshaun Watson
Josh Allen
Jared Goff

Are all QB's that have/has an overwhelming majority of support from their teams fanbase, while being very young to this league. The fans definitely wanted/wants those guys to get a second contract.

I'm not talking about their play pissing people off. I'm talking about that second contract. Some QB's second contract are a lock according to their fanbase. Some QB's bring forth a serious discussion among fans when it comes to their second contract. Some are loved. Some are questioned. That's just a fact.

Lol if you think fanbases don’t have fans that give most of those QB’s flak. You’re generalizing the behavior of entire fanbases and projecting it onto the cowboys fanbase. It’s silly. I already said the most elite don’t get grief. But Darnold, ryan, Allen, stafford. Please.

Again the front office doesn’t and shouldn’t take fanbase arguments into any type of consideration.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
No it’s not a lie. Sure the most
Elite QB’s don’t get flak.

But there’s a lot of assumption that a drafted QB would end up elite.

If the cowboys signed somebody like rivers or Tannehill or Winston you think there wouldn’t be arguing and complaining about them? Not a chance.

same fanbase that booed Troy Aikman at the end. A guy who won the franchise 3 superbowls.
A first rd draft pick would get a year or two most times unless they are super bad and or most didn’t want that player in the first place. Chi fans and Mitch come to mind. I said a draft pick in my post or at least alluded to it not some player that already was in the league.

When you get older you’re goign to get that at the end most times. That has nothing to do with my point of a first rd pick at qb getting a year or two before most jump ship or critique him too hard in most cases.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Rams should be regretting signing Gurley to what they did.......not Goff. I hope we don't have those same regrets about Zeke.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Patrick Mahomes
Aaron Rodgers
Andrew Luck
Ben Roethlisberger
Russell Wilson
Sam Donald
Mathew Stafford
Matt Ryan
Deshaun Watson
Josh Allen
Jared Goff

I think Dak's second contract is a lock among our fanbase. The majority anyway. Cowboyszone is not a great representation of that. Understand a lot of people here aren't even fans of the Cowboys. Most of them are trolls from other teams or Romo fans. Their opinion doesn't really count.

HungryLion

Reaction score
A first rd draft pick would get a year or two most times unless they are super bad and or most didn’t want that player in the first place. Chi fans and Mitch come to mind. I said a draft pick in my post or at least alluded to it not some player that already was in the league.

When you get older you’re goign to get that at the end most times. That has nothing to do with my point of a first rd pick at qb getting a year or two before most jump ship or critique him too hard in most cases.

Yeah they do get a year or two. I agree on that. But if the first round pick QB isn’t top 5 by their third season, people will start their bickering.

Again, I’m Moreso talking about the nature of fans in general. Not whether the cowboys should or should not move on from Dak.

I would be ok with them resigning Dak and I would also be ok with them drafting a first round QB. The only thing I wouldn’t want is a retread like a case Keenum or Cam Newton or something like that. Personally.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Yeah they do get a year or two. I agree on that. But if the first round pick QB isn’t top 5 by their third season, people will start their bickering.

Again, I’m Moreso talking about the nature of fans in general. Not whether the cowboys should or should not move on from Dak.

I would be ok with them resigning Dak and I would also be ok with them drafting a first round QB. The only thing I wouldn’t want is a retread like a case Keenum or Cam Newton or something like that. Personally.
I can agree with most of what you said. I rather they get a first rd qb but since that’s not likely Dak on a “team friendly” deal will suffice

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Again the front office doesn’t and shouldn’t take fanbase arguments into any type of consideration.
By that metric the Cowboys won't be drafting a DT or a SS in the early rounds this year, even though us fans have been calling for it.

By that metric Jason Garrett would still be our head coach. When the rumblings get too loud the FO has no choice but to take notice.

Middle of the pack QB's create more of a debate over their second contract than top notch performing QB's. Are you maliciously skipping over the word contract in my post? When it was time for Troy Aikman to get his second contract were you on board with it?

I never said QB's don't take flak over bad performances. They all get that especially when their team loses. Its the debate over a second contract that I've been talking about since the begining of this discussion. When it was time for Brady to get his second contract do you think the fans debated whether or not he was worthy of it?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Rams should be regretting signing Gurley to what they did.......not Goff. I hope we don't have those same regrets about Zeke.

Goff isn’t good though. He’s another guy who is getting paid way to much for what he is.

He’s dependent of his coach.

Another stupid decision to pay a non-elite QB like they are elite.

He went an entire month this season without throwing a TD.. Lol

The market is screwed up because of stupid deals like this.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I think Dak's second contract is a lock among our fanbase. The majority anyway. Cowboyszone is not a great representation of that. Understand a lot of people here aren't even fans of the Cowboys. Most of them are trolls from other teams or Romo fans. Their opinion doesn't really count.
I say the defense and special teams were our problems last year. If McCarthy fixes those most of this Dak crap goes out the window. All fans just want wins. When we went 13-3 in 2016 they didn't give a dang about his yardage totals.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Goff isn’t good though. He’s another guy who is getting paid way to much for what he is.

He’s dependent of his coach.

Another stupid decision to pay a non-elite QB like they are elite.

He went an entire month this season without throwing a TD.. Lol

The market is screwed up because of stupid deals like this.

Its not stupid though. He's 26 years old. At some point fans and I guess football teams decided that quarterbacks aren't allowed to develop anymore. Now we throw them straight into the fire and then we give them 3 years to be successful and then when why aren't we want to throw them out the window.

I'm not a fan of Goff but I didn't like him in college either. But if you felt like he was worthy of the 1st overall pick just 4 years ago like the Rams did...then nothing has changed. Give him some help.

Everyone isn't going to be Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers. These quarterbacks need help. Hell even Mahomes needed help. McVey just has to go back to the drawing board and cater the offense to Goff. He's a smart guy he'll figure it out.

I say the defense and special teams were our problems last year. If McCarthy fixes those most of this Dak crap goes out the window. All fans just want wins. When we went 13-3 in 2016 they didn't give a dang about his yardage totals.
Well........I think some did but like I said I don't say those were Cowboy fans those were people with a agenda.

HungryLion

Reaction score
By that metric the Cowboys won't be drafting a DT or a SS in the early rounds this year, even though us fans have been calling for it.

By that metric Jason Garrett would still be our head coach. When the rumblings get too loud the FO has no choice but to take notice.

Middle of the pack QB's create more of a debate over their second contract than top notch performing QB's. Are you maliciously skipping over the word contract in my post? When it was time for Troy Aikman to get his second contract were you on board with it?

I never said QB's don't take flak over bad performances. They all get that especially when their team loses. Its the debate over a second contract that I've been talking about since the begining of this discussion. When it was time for Brady to get his second contract do you think the fans debated whether or not he was worthy of it?

I’m not giving a metric. I’m stating that the front office isn’t going to take account into what the fans think.

That doesn’t mean all fans are wrong at all times. I never inferred as much.

And yeah. Fans do give their teams grief when resigning all but the best of QB’s. I remember people questioning Russell Wilson’s second contract. They questioned matt Ryan’s. They questioned Carson Wentz and Jared Goff who you listed. Pretty much any QB if they aren’t MVP level.

but fans questioning it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not the smart move for a team to do or not. Fans questioning it or arguing about it is generally meaningless to an NFL front office. That’s the point I’m making. They don’t care if fans are arguing about it.