COWBOYS MEDIA has gone P2P (preliminary stages)

STAR GAZER

Benched
Reaction score
Hey Guys:

I'm gearing up for 2009, and have adopted a new method of video distribution.

There are numerous advantages to the new approach. First and foremost, it is independent of a shared domain (host server), which is bound to terms that make the content subject to removal from the host server account. Secondly, the bandwidth usage can peak all it likes, and the server will not become over burdened. Thirdly, the turn around time for making video available will be cut down tremendously.

Another added benefit that will make this far superior, is that everyone can share their own video with ease. Since everyone who is a part of the circle of friends can provide, we will have far more content to benefit from.

How is this all possible? Well many of you may be familiar with Bit Torrent technology. For those of you who are not, then I will give a simplified description. When a video is made available to a pool of friends, the host (seed) is the only source for bandwidth. When a friend connects to the file and begins downloading, their bandwidth is contributed to the download speed of the file (torrent). As more friends connect, the speed becomes rapid by providing multiple seeders.

So how do you become part of the network of friends? First of all, you will need to download and install the Oneswarm torrent client........... http://oneswarm.cs.washington.edu/index.html

Next, if you don't already have it, you will need to download and install Firefox. Your Internet Explorer browser will not support many of the functions that Oneswarm provides. Yes it is absolutely necessary. Download here....... http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ie.html

Once you have given yourself an identity, you will then need to "add a friend". (lower-left-hand corner) of the Oneswarm application window. Copy and paste your "Public Key" in a Private message to me here at Cowboys Zone. Once I have added you as a friend, you will have access to all of the Cowboys Media video files.

Since this is the early stage of development, I would like to build the pool/network of friends as quickly as possible. Once we have enough participants, the download speeds will be adequate. Once the 2009 season begins, the speeds will skyrocket.

Cowboys rule!!!!!! :cheers:

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
are sure it's gonna be safe cause I've gotten viruses from using torrents.

STAR GAZER

Benched
Reaction score
Rampage;2773767 said:
are sure it's gonna be safe cause I've gotten viruses from using torrents.

No problem. I am using the software now, and there is no spyware installed.

STAR GAZER

Benched
Reaction score
Rampage;2773805 said:
alright cool. i'll probably download that stuff tonight.

Looks like you will be the first in the circle. Let me know when you have the public key so I can add you.

STAR GAZER

Benched
Reaction score
Okay guys:

I've added all of your Public Keys to my "Cowboys Media" ID profile. Now you will need to add me as your friend by replying to my acceptance response.

When you add me, don't limit my status. Right now you are all unlimited with access to my account. Limiting friends cripples the seeding process.

Something everyone should be aware off before downloading content. Be certain not to rename the files or move then from the original destination you downloaded them to on your PC. This will break the hash that was created for the torrents path. Basically, you will not be seeding (contributing your bandwidth). Everyone needs to seed for support. Seed as much as you can afford. If everyone does this, we will have a successful circle of friends. If not, download times will crawl.

I would recommend you create a file destination before you begin downloading. Simply direct the download to that file, and it will reside where you want it to be. Remember don't rename the file. If everyone mirrors my file structure, then you will find I have an efficient method.

Seed until you bleed blue and silver!!!!! :yourock:.

STAR GAZER

Benched
Reaction score
FYI: Several people are connecting now. So I thought I would give some advice.

You do not need to download an entire "Tag" category. All the video in those categories are grouped together. If you want to download individual video pieces, you can follow this procedure........

1. Choose "view as a list" not the thumbnail view. The option is under "date added", below the toolbar menu at the top of the application.

2. From the list, check the box next to the category you are interested in.

3. Go to the "More Actions" pull-down menu. It's in the toolbar at the top of the application next to "settings".

4. Pull the menu down, and select "view swarm details"

5. Deselect all the checked boxes by scrolling down to the bottom of the list of video in the category.

6. Select the individual video or video's you are interested in.

7. Then "update" the choices with the button at the bottom of the list.

Now you are good to go. :)

STAR GAZER

Benched
Reaction score
Right now I am continuing to add more content over the coming week. I should have everything available as before.

Something you should be aware of, is that much of the previous content at Cowboys Media, has been replaced with higher quality video. Now that bandwidth is no longer an issue, much of the video is now in "True HD". Not "Mini-HD" as it was before. There are also .ISO files in their original format (unconverted). A lot of the video I couldn't share before due to bandwidth issues.

The Historic video will now be hosted 24/7 the entire collection (no "Video of the Month).

Cross-over the video you downloaded before, with the video that is now available. You will discover much of it is in better quality than previously afforded.

Most of all, don't forget to seed (share the bandwidth by keeping it available to other fiends in the circle).

Enjoy!!! :starspin

STAR GAZER

Benched
Reaction score
Hey Guys:

I'm gearing up for 2009, and have adopted a new method of video distribution.

There are numerous advantages to the new approach. First and foremost, it is independent of a shared domain (host server), which is bound to terms that make the content subject to removal from the host server account. Secondly, the bandwidth usage can peak all it likes, and the server will not become over burdened. Thirdly, the turn around time for making video available will be cut down tremendously.

Another added benefit that will make this far superior, is that everyone can share their own video with ease. Since everyone who is a part of the circle of friends can provide, we will have far more content to benefit from.

How is this all possible? Well many of you may be familiar with Bit Torrent technology. For those of you who are not, then I will give a simplified description. When a video is made available to a pool of friends, the host (seed) is the only source for bandwidth. When a friend connects to the file and begins downloading, their bandwidth is contributed to the download speed of the file (torrent). As more friends connect, the speed becomes rapid by providing multiple seeders.

So how do you become part of the network of friends? First of all, you will need to download and install the Oneswarm torrent client........... http://oneswarm.cs.washington.edu/index.html

Next, if you don't already have it, you will need to download and install Firefox. Your Internet Explorer browser will not support many of the functions that Oneswarm provides. Yes it is absolutely necessary. Download here....... http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ie.html

Once you have given yourself an identity, you will then need to "add a friend". (lower-left-hand corner) of the Oneswarm application window. Copy and paste your "Public Key" in a Private message to me here at Cowboys Zone. Once I have added you as a friend, you will have access to all of the Cowboys Media video files.

Since this is the early stage of development, I would like to build the pool/network of friends as quickly as possible. Once we have enough participants, the download speeds will be adequate. Once the 2009 season begins, the speeds will skyrocket.

Cowboys rule!!!!!! :cheers:

For further info on this topic, visit the "Media Zone".............. http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153351

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why not let users use their normal bittorrent client? Many of the sites that used to use browser plugins and modules for P2P distribution are replacing them with standard bittorent trackers and downloads. That way, any user, regardless of browser, operating system, etc. simply needs a bittorrent client, which a large number of users already have installed, to download and share your content.

Personally, I have found that many of the browser plugins and modules for P2P distribution become very resource intensive (excessive computer memory and CPU usage) over time and severely lack detailed file control and management features found in most bittorrent clients. Not to mention a lack of control and management of bandwidth which causes problems as you or other family members try to do other things over the internet.

-Reality

STAR GAZER

Benched
Reaction score
Reality;2776028 said:
Why not let users use their normal bittorrent client? Many of the sites that used to use browser plugins and modules for P2P distribution are replacing them with standard bittorent trackers and downloads. That way, any user, regardless of browser, operating system, etc. simply needs a bittorrent client, which a large number of users already have installed, to download and share your content.

Personally, I have found that many of the browser plugins and modules for P2P distribution become very resource intensive (excessive computer memory and CPU usage) over time and severely lack detailed file control and management features found in most bittorrent clients. Not to mention a lack of control and management of bandwidth which causes problems as you or other family members try to do other things over the internet.

-Reality

This software is uniquely designed compared with other torrent clients. Check-out the Oneswarm website and you will see what I mean.

STAR GAZER

Benched
Reaction score
Hey Webby:

You may want to be extra careful about sharing that public key. I would alter your post and send the key to me in a PM.

cowboy4322

Cowboy Realist
Reaction score
Star:

Check your pm when you get chance:

I sent you my public key.

Thanks

Cowboy4322

cowboy4322

Cowboy Realist
Reaction score
I run on firefox, how can I configure oneswarm onto firefox as when I click on the icon, it runs on IE.

Thanks

Cowboy4322

STAR GAZER

Benched
Reaction score
webby75216;2776079 said:
Loving the site already thanks for the heads up.:bow:

No problem.

I suggest everyone read the thread in the "Media Zone for instructions and updates.

And everyone please seed as much as possible. :)

bigE79

Reaction score
STAR GAZER;2776086 said:
No problem.

I suggest everyone read the thread in the "Media Zone for instructions and updates.

And everyone please seed as much as possible. :)
did you get the pm i sent with my public key?