CFZ Cowboys must become playoff road warriors

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Dallas Cowboys must now become something they haven’t been for 30 years- PLAYOFF ROAD WARRIORS.

The Cowboys all time road playoff record is 9-16. But after being 9-8 under Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson, the Cowboys are 0-8 in road playoff games since the 1992 season. Still hard to believe: Last road win was the 1992 NFC championship game @SF, Jan, 1993. Been 0-8 since. Here are the road playoff games since that ‘92 NFC championship game.
  • L Jan, 15, 1995, NFC championship @SF (38-28)
  • L-Jan 7, 1997, Div round @Carolina (26-17)
  • L-Jan 9, 2000, WC game @Minnesota (27-10)
  • L- Jan. 3, 2004, WC game @Carolina (29-10)
  • L- Jan 6, 2007, WC game @Sea (21-20)
  • L- Jan. 17, 2010, Div round @Minnesota (34-3)
  • L- Jan 11, 2015, Div round @GB (26-21)
  • L- Jan. 12, 2019, Div round @LArams (30-22)
Cowboys Head Coach All Time Road playoff records:
  • Tom Landry- 7-7
  • Jimmy Johnson- 2-1
  • Barry Switzer- 0-2
  • Chan Gailey- 0-1
  • Bill Parcells- 0-2
  • Wade Phillips- 0-1
  • Jason Garrett- 0-2
Amazingly, in the Jerry Jones era, we’ve only won 2 road playoff games- both won when Jimmy was HC. Even more amazing- Since Jimmy left, the Cowboys have not won a road playoff game. And- Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson are the only Cowboys HC’s to win road playoff games.

Big Mac has won a SB with the pack as a #6 seed. They won 3 playoff games on the road before winning the SB. That is now what this team must become.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Every team in the NFL is bound by the cap. I'm tired of it being used as an excuse for the Cowboys failing to reach the standards set in the 20th century.
what standards? The Pats dominated for a very long time because they had one Tom Terrific..... like 70% of the leage hasnt won squat in th ecap era.... they all have some high standard? There is no standard. Typically a team gets good, might make a run and pow, right back to mediocrity... Falcons, Rams, Bucs..... and on and on I could go.

JustChip

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys must now become something they haven’t been for 30 years- PLAYOFF ROAD WARRIORS.

The Cowboys all time road playoff record is 9-16. But after being 9-8 under Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson, the Cowboys are 0-8 in road playoff games since the 1992 season. Still hard to believe: Last road win was the 1992 NFC championship game @SF, Jan, 1993. Been 0-8 since. Here are the road playoff games since that ‘92 NFC championship game.
  • Tom Landry- 7-7
  • Jimmy Johnson- 2-1
  • Barry Switzer- 0-2
  • Chan Gailey- 0-1
  • Bill Parcells- 0-2
  • Wade Phillips- 0-1
  • Jason Garrett- 0-2
Amazingly, in the Jerry Jones era, we’ve only won 2 road playoff games- both won when Jimmy was HC. Even more amazing- Since Jimmy left, the Cowboys have not won a road playoff game. And- Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson are the only Cowboys HC’s to win road playoff games.

Big Mac has won a SB with the pack as a #6 seed. They won 3 playoff games on the road before winning the SB. That is now what this team must become.
I can’t decide why. The easy answer is a soft culture.

Switzer was certainly a relaxed culture, but the team that lost to SF his first year was still Jimmy’s team and had very good veteran leadership that was not soft. They lost because they turned the ball over 3 times in the 1st 10 minutes of the game. And, frankly, probably win if the refs don’t swallow their whistle on Deion’s PI.

The Big Tuna certainty wasn’t soft. They lost that game in Seattle in a bobbled snap.

Oft times it’s 2 or 3 plays that are the difference between winning and losing.

I think the predominate reason they’ve not won a road playoff game is the simplest. They just haven’t been good enough in all 3 phases at the same time. The GM truly does not know how to build a complete team.

JustChip

Reaction score
what standards? The Pats dominated for a very long time because they had one Tom Terrific..... like 70% of the leage hasnt won squat in th ecap era.... they all have some high standard? There is no standard. Typically a team gets good, might make a run and pow, right back to mediocrity... Falcons, Rams, Bucs..... and on and on I could go.
Right, but those teams DID at least get to their Conference Championship.

I said for a long time that once Brady and/or Belichick were gone, the Pats fans would be soon thereafter reduced to pining about the good ole days like Cowboys fans today.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Right, but those teams DID at least get to their Conference Championship.

I said for a long time that once Brady and/or Belichick were gone, the Pats fans would be soon thereafter reduced to pining about the good ole days like Cowboys fans today.
I said it forever that as soon as Tom left... who cares about Belichek. He has been exposed for what he is, a good coach, but he cant do squat without the qb. He is just like ALL coaches, you need a qb to win consistently. Why did Sean Payton all of the sudden need to spend time with family???lol Mike Tomlin is just another guy as soon as Big Ben got old.

The patterns are easy. You think Doug Pederson is why the Jags are about to go on a streak??? lol... nah, it is called a great young QB is about to come into his own, just lie all great QBs do. Aikman, Manning both pathetic as rookies. Then pow.... well Pederson, welcome to the jump on a great QBs back on your way to becoming a "Great," coach club.

JustChip

Reaction score
I said it forever that as soon as Tom left... who cares about Belichek. He has been exposed for what he is, a good coach, but he cant do squat without the qb. He is just like ALL coaches, you need a qb to win consistently. Why did Sean Payton all of the sudden need to spend time with family???lol Mike Tomlin is just another guy as soon as Big Ben got old.

The patterns are easy. You think Doug Pederson is why the Jags are about to go on a streak??? lol... nah, it is called a great young QB is about to come into his own, just lie all great QBs do. Aikman, Manning both pathetic as rookies. Then pow.... well Pederson, welcome to the jump on a great QBs back on your way to becoming a "Great," coach club.
Truth. Chuck Knoll comes to mind, too. And, to an extent, Tom Landry.

But it still takes a competent coach to develop and maximize the QB. Would Lawrence be what he looks to be now had Meyer stayed there?

And, where is all the Herbert talk now?

I think either one of Brady or Bill leaving the Patriots would’ve ended their dominance.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I ust can not read another thread reminiscing about the good old days when there was no SALARY CAP.
And yet somehow you fought through it bravely to muster the strength to post here, lol. Reid, you do realize multiple NFL teams since the cap have won a ton of road playoff games…right?

I mean Joe Flacco and the ravens won 8 road playoff games over 3 seasons. That was post cap. Not exactly a HOFer. Or the “great” Mark Sanchez. He’s won 4 road playoff games. Cap era is a lame argument IMO.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can’t decide why. The easy answer is a soft culture.

Switzer was certainly a relaxed culture, but the team that lost to SF his first year was still Jimmy’s team and had very good veteran leadership that was not soft. They lost because they turned the ball over 3 times in the 1st 10 minutes of the game. And, frankly, probably win if the refs don’t swallow their whistle on Deion’s PI.

The Big Tuna certainty wasn’t soft. They lost that game in Seattle in a bobbled snap.

Oft times it’s 2 or 3 plays that are the difference between winning and losing.

I think the predominate reason they’ve not won a road playoff game is the simplest. They just haven’t been good enough in all 3 phases at the same time. The GM truly does not know how to build a complete team.
Being soft is one of several things the Cowboys must prove they aren’t anymore. They can. I believe this team is way tougher than last year.

ArtClink

Reaction score
The good old days were more importantly about having a real head coach that the players feared and were 100% accountable to since he had the power to hire and fire. Jimmy Johnson remains the only hc in the Jerry Jones era that had in his contract the FINAL SAY IN ALL FOOTBALL MATTERS. That is the reason we have not made a deep playoff run in decades.

The salary cap was supposed to bring parity and be a dynasty killer. Yet it produces the greatest dynasty in NFL history, the Pats and exposed organizational dysfunction (Lions, Wash, Us/Cowboys, Browns). Do you know how difficult it is to go 27 years without reaching a conference championship game under the salary cap? It’s so difficult that in the NFC there are only three hapless teams: Lions, Wash, and the fuhrer’s Cowboys.

plasticman

Reaction score
AT&T offers no homefield advantage for the Dallas Cowboys. It was never built for that purpose.

AT&T stadium was built to attract all NFL fans as well as other events. It was built to be an attraction like a Great Wonder.

You can judge homefield advantage by looking at a team record as the host and comparing it to their record on the road. Logically, the team with the most favorable difference between the away record and home record would have the greatest homefield advantage.

The Cowboys began playing in AT&T in 2009. Since then, they are ranked 29th in diffrence between home and away records. They have won 10 more home games than away games over these 13 seasons. green Bay is in first place with a difference of 57 more home victorie than away.

The Cowboys were in 31st place a few seasons ago.

Having said that, I didn't make any distinction as to the opponent or intensity of the circumstances.

I'm probably prouder of the 1975 playoff team than any other. This was a young impressionable team with 12 rookies participating. They were the wild card team, the only one back then. They had three divisions and one wildcard. The wildcard team played the #1 seed. Because they were not division champs they had to win back to back playoff games as the visiting team

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AT&T offers no homefield advantage for the Dallas Cowboys. It was never built for that purpose.

AT&T stadium was built to attract all NFL fans as well as other events. It was built to be an attraction like a Great Wonder.

You can judge homefield advantage by looking at a team record as the host and comparing it to their record on the road. Logically, the team with the most favorable difference between the away record and home record would have the greatest homefield advantage.

The Cowboys began playing in AT&T in 2009. Since then, they are ranked 29th in diffrence between home and away records. They have won 10 more home games than away games over these 13 seasons. green Bay is in first place with a difference of 57 more home victorie than away.

The Cowboys were in 31st place a few seasons ago.

Having said that, I didn't make any distinction as to the opponent or intensity of the circumstances.

I'm probably prouder of the 1975 playoff team than any other. This was a young impressionable team with 12 rookies participating. They were the wild card team, the only one back then. They had three divisions and one wildcard. The wildcard team played the #1 seed. Because they were not division champs they had to win back to back playoff games as the visiting team
I agree with you that AT&T has been anything but a home field advantage. Not to mention that stupid decision to have the field run east-west for purely aesthetic reasons.

But having said that, the Cowboys were 8-1 this year at home. It would be great to have a home playoff game for sure but unless something very surprising happens, the Cowboys will be on the road throughout the playoffs. We better learn to become road warriors very quickly.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The good old days were more importantly about having a real head coach that the players feared and were 100% accountable to since he had the power to hire and fire. Jimmy Johnson remains the only hc in the Jerry Jones era that had in his contract the FINAL SAY IN ALL FOOTBALL MATTERS. That is the reason we have not made a deep playoff run in decades.

The salary cap was supposed to bring parity and be a dynasty killer. Yet it produces the greatest dynasty in NFL history, the Pats and exposed organizational dysfunction (Lions, Wash, Us/Cowboys, Browns). Do you know how difficult it is to go 27 years without reaching a conference championship game under the salary cap? It’s so difficult that in the NFC there are only three hapless teams: Lions, Wash, and the fuhrer’s Cowboys.
Winning on the road in the playoffs is the mark of a team with championship possibilities. The #1 seed is a great thing to have but interesting that the last two SB winners were the #4 and #5 seeds.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

• Tom Landry- 7-7
  • Jimmy Johnson- 2-1
  • Barry Switzer- 0-2
  • Chan Gailey- 0-1
  • Bill Parcells- 0-2
  • Wade Phillips- 0-1
  • Jason Garrett- 0-2

Possible, not probable
I could see them however beating the bucs on the road.