CFZ Cowboys must become playoff road warriors

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
off the top of my head, only the Ravens have had any sustained success with slightly avg QB play. Can you think of any that have had, over the past 20 years some fairly consistent success?
ROAD PLAYOFF WINS SINCE 2000

Ravens 9 (with Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacco)
Giants. 5
Packers 5
Steelers 5
49ers. 5 (With 3 diff QBs- Kappernick, Smith and Garropolo)
Jets 5- (with Chad Pennington and Mark Sanchez)
Pats 4
Colts 4
Eagles 4 (With Donovan McNabb)
Rams 4 (with Jared Goff and Matt Stafford)
Bucs 4
Titans 4
Panthers 4 (with Jake Delhomme)
Chargers 4
Seahawks 3
Vikings 2
Bengals 2
Falcons 2 (With Matt Ryan and Michael Vick)
Jags 2 (with Blake Bortles)
Browns 1
Cardinals 1
Chiefs 1
Saints 1
Commanders 1
Texans 1

Cowboys 0
Bills 0
Broncos 0
Bears 0
Raiders 0
Lions 0
Dolphins 0

Reid1boys

Reaction score
so 3 or 4 road playoff wins over a 21 years stretch equates to "Sustained success?" Not to me it doesnt. The Bengals are on that list with 2 wins.... those both probably came last season. The difference with them is they will now have some sustained success....... hmmmm, they must have finally found a great young football mind to run the show.....bahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahaha

I can look at that list and start tearing it apart... ill just do the jets and move on. My guess is those 5 road wins with the jets came in a 2 season stretch with Sanchez where they made back to back afc title gaes if I remember. Besides those couple of seasons, the jets have been probably as bad as any team in football. And Im supposed to long for that kind of "success?"

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
This current version of the Cowboys is independent of previous versions. Quoting stats from previous versions in the past has no connection to this version's future. @Bobhaze talking about past events is neither here nor there concerning future events.

This version of the Cowboys has shown they can beat playoff-caliber teams on the road. We have a score to settle with the Bucs. Now they just have to take care of business.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so 3 or 4 road playoff wins over a 21 years stretch equates to "Sustained success?" Not to me it doesnt. The Bengals are on that list with 2 wins.... those both probably came last season. The difference with them is they will now have some sustained success....... hmmmm, they must have finally found a great young football mind to run the show.....bahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahaha
I’m amazed at the cherry picking you’ve done on this thread.

First by saying you couldn’t stomach another thread like this, then somehow you valiantly managed to post 5 times here, lol. Then saying the cap prevented us from winning road playoff games since Jimmy left. Then when given evidence that road playoff games can indeed be won after the cap and that you don’t have to have a HOF qb to win some road playoff games, you just laughed. Ok. We can just agree to disagree.

ArtClink

Reaction score

Giants. 5
Packers 5
Steelers 5
Pats 4
Colts 4
Bucs 4
Titans 4
Chargers 4
Seahawks 3
Vikings 2
Bengals 2
Browns 1
Cardinals 1
Chiefs 1
Saints 1
Commanders 1
Texans 1

Cowboys 0
Bills 0
Broncos 0
Bears 0
Raiders 0
Lions 0
Dolphins 0
You’re only confusing him with the cold hard facts.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
This current version of the Cowboys is independent of previous versions. Quoting stats from previous versions in the past has no connection to this version's future. @Bobhaze talking about past events is neither here nor there concerning future events.

This version of the Cowboys has shown they can beat playoff-caliber teams on the road. We have a score to settle with the Bucs. Now they just have to take care of business.
Have they proven they can beat three playoff calibre teams in succession on the road?
If you think the past has nothing to do with the present, then you’re fooling yourself!

Reid1boys

Reaction score

First by saying you couldn’t stomach another thread like this, then somehow you valiantly managed to post 5 times here, lol. Then saying the cap prevented us from winning road playoff games since Jimmy left. Then when given evidence that road playoff games can indeed be won after the cap and that you don’t have to have a HOF qb to win some road playoff games, you just laughed. Ok. We can just agree to disagree.
I never once said you can't win road playoff games under the cap, hell, the cap actually makes it more likely... im just saying sustained success like in the 70s and 90s is rare... unless you have manning, Brady, Brees and the like. Then when those qbs go away, let the sucking begin again. That's facts, that's reality no matter how hard you try to say otherwise.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
off the top of my head, only the Ravens have had any sustained success with slightly avg QB play. Can you think of any that have had, over the past 20 years some fairly consistent success?
Perhaps we need to define consistent success. Is that just a consistent playoff contender or one which has won a championship or being a contender playing for a championship?

SF has been having some fairly consistent success with a couple different average QB’s( Kappy and Jimmy G) taking them to championship games and Super Bowls last decade.

Seattle was a consistent contender for about 10 years with an average to above average QB. I wouldn’t call Wilson Elite.

The common factor in these teams with less than Elite QB’s being a consistent contender whether it was Balt, SF or Sea for example , is strong defenses.

Which supports my narrative in Cap era for success is either an Elite QB or Elite defense. It’s very difficult to afford both. And with a defense the Cap will eventually split it up which makes for small windows of opportunity .

Unfortunately the second contracts for Elite QB and the next group of less than Elite franchise QB’s isn’t sharply divided. Which can impact how teams surround them in Cap era.

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Have they proven they can beat three playoff calibre teams in succession on the road?
If you think the past has nothing to do with the present, then you’re fooling yourself!
Well then, aren't you a bundle of sunshine? :rolleyes:

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Giants. 5
Packers 5
Steelers 5
Pats 4
Colts 4
Bucs 4
Titans 4
Chargers 4
Seahawks 3
Vikings 2
Bengals 2
Browns 1
Cardinals 1
Chiefs 1
Saints 1
Commanders 1
Texans 1

Cowboys 0
Bills 0
Broncos 0
Bears 0
Raiders 0
Lions 0
Dolphins 0
Good job Bob !! That took much research.

Wow, this illustrates that winning road playoff games isn’t obsolete. And we are one of few teams which haven’t been able to muster any this era.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Yea, despite the Cowboys not landing an Elite QB this era which in Reid’s eyes and narrative could have provided our franchise a consistent contender and the fact this era has been so frustrating and disappointing in the Cowboys least successful era , he still argues on behalf of our owners job in building a competitive team that apparently he still feels presents a good product despite not having more success.

We agree on several fronts but I’ve come to the conclusion he doesn’t cuddle well with any negative narratives on our owner or franchise as he wants to maintain a positive vibe( Homerish) as he enjoys traveling to games which might take some of the luster out of it.

Contrary to his narrative that only teams with Elite QB’s are sustainable this era and the fact we haven’t had one , he still seems to maintain we have built a good organization and our owner isn’t the obstacle or hindrance most would. His argument comes off without the factual data you have provided supporting your argument , pretty much only how he sees it and his perception as such which in some instances comes off hypocritical at best.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yea, despite the Cowboys not landing an Elite QB this era which in Reid’s eyes and narrative could have provided our franchise a consistent contender and the fact this era has been so frustrating and disappointing in the Cowboys least successful era , he still argues on behalf of our owners job in building a competitive team that apparently he still feels presents a good product despite not having more success.

We agree on several fronts but I’ve come to the conclusion he doesn’t cuddle well with any negative narratives on our owner or franchise as he wants to maintain a positive vibe( Homerish) as he enjoys traveling to games which might take some of the luster out of it.

Contrary to his narrative that only teams with Elite QB’s are sustainable this era and the fact we haven’t had one , he still seems to maintain we have built a good organization and our owner isn’t the obstacle or hindrance most would. His argument comes off without the factual data you have provided supporting your argument , pretty much only how he sees it and his perception as such which in some instances comes off hypocritical at best.
HIs "Factual Data," supported nothing. I already pulled a team from his list to show the problem with using that as your barometer for success. You view the Jets, because of their 2 year run in the playoffs as a team we should strive to be more like? They have sucked 95% of my life. The Bengals are a team we should strive for because they made a SB last year (still havent won a single SB) Seattle sucked for most of my life, had a 1 year jackpot and made a SB followed by a decade of crap, hit their 3 year run and now are back to crap.
Saints sucked forever, hit the jackpot with Brees and had well over a decade of success as a real contender, followed by absolute garbage as soon as Brees went away. Denver hit it big with Manning after Elway went away, had a nice 3-4 year run with manning and now suck again.... you talked about facts Bob used to back up his argument, well here you go. How many more do I need to keep going?Dolphins sucked since Marino... still are avg today. Bill sucked for 3o years after Kelly and what do you know they are contenders again because they have an MVP type qb. You keep saying im pulling this stuff out of my arse... tell me where any of what I have posted is factually incorrect? Want some more... Steelers and their HOF qb were constant contenders, he went away and they suck, even though that organization is the epitome of how an NFL team should be ran. Pats, same thing... an absolute beacon of how to run a team. The owner stays out of the coaches business, the greatest coach that ever laced them up, yet as soon as the HOF qb went away they suck.... IMMEDIATELY. That is factual. Everything Ive said is FACTS, not opinions. Road wins dont mean jack squat if you dont win the SB. I dont give one damn that the Falcons made a SB a short while back because they pretty much suck and have sucked my entire life, but if that 1 SB matters to you because it has been in the past decade, then good for you.

rambo2

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys must now become something they haven’t been for 30 years- PLAYOFF ROAD WARRIORS.

The Cowboys all time road playoff record is 9-16. But after being 9-8 under Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson, the Cowboys are 0-8 in road playoff games since the 1992 season. Still hard to believe: Last road win was the 1992 NFC championship game @SF, Jan, 1993. Been 0-8 since. Here are the road playoff games since that ‘92 NFC championship game.
  • L Jan, 15, 1995, NFC championship @SF (38-28)
  • L-Jan 7, 1997, Div round @Carolina (26-17)
  • L-Jan 9, 2000, WC game @Minnesota (27-10)
  • L- Jan. 3, 2004, WC game @Carolina (29-10)
  • L- Jan 6, 2007, WC game @Sea (21-20)
  • L- Jan. 17, 2010, Div round @Minnesota (34-3)
  • L- Jan 11, 2015, Div round @GB (26-21)
  • L- Jan. 12, 2019, Div round @LArams (30-22)
Cowboys Head Coach All Time Road playoff records:
  • Tom Landry- 7-7
  • Jimmy Johnson- 2-1
  • Barry Switzer- 0-2
  • Chan Gailey- 0-1
  • Bill Parcells- 0-2
  • Wade Phillips- 0-1
  • Jason Garrett- 0-2
Amazingly, in the Jerry Jones era, we’ve only won 2 road playoff games- both won when Jimmy was HC. Even more amazing- Since Jimmy left, the Cowboys have not won a road playoff game. And- Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson are the only Cowboys HC’s to win road playoff games.

Big Mac has won a SB with the pack as a #6 seed. They won 3 playoff games on the road before winning the SB. That is now what this team must become.
It will be funny if the Cowboys end up with the 1 or the 2 spot.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It would be a miracle I would welcome.

No doubt Philly will be favored but I don't expect an easy game vs Saints. NO has been playing very good defense as of late and will be fighting for their playoff lives in this game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
HIs "Factual Data," supported nothing. I already pulled a team from his list to show the problem with using that as your barometer for success. You view the Jets, because of their 2 year run in the playoffs as a team we should strive to be more like? They have sucked 95% of my life. The Bengals are a team we should strive for because they made a SB last year (still havent won a single SB) Seattle sucked for most of my life, had a 1 year jackpot and made a SB followed by a decade of crap, hit their 3 year run and now are back to crap.
Saints sucked forever, hit the jackpot with Brees and had well over a decade of success as a real contender, followed by absolute garbage as soon as Brees went away. Denver hit it big with Manning after Elway went away, had a nice 3-4 year run with manning and now suck again.... you talked about facts Bob used to back up his argument, well here you go. How many more do I need to keep going?Dolphins sucked since Marino... still are avg today. Bill sucked for 3o years after Kelly and what do you know they are contenders again because they have an MVP type qb. You keep saying im pulling this stuff out of my arse... tell me where any of what I have posted is factually incorrect? Want some more... Steelers and their HOF qb were constant contenders, he went away and they suck, even though that organization is the epitome of how an NFL team should be ran. Pats, same thing... an absolute beacon of how to run a team. The owner stays out of the coaches business, the greatest coach that ever laced them up, yet as soon as the HOF qb went away they suck.... IMMEDIATELY. That is factual. Everything Ive said is FACTS, not opinions. Road wins dont mean jack squat if you dont win the SB. I dont give one damn that the Falcons made a SB a short while back because they pretty much suck and have sucked my entire life, but if that 1 SB matters to you because it has been in the past decade, then good for you.
I’m not sure you’re able to focus on critiquing this era. You kinda get all over the place in your response here. The Cap era is what you were initially arguing about in what teams had success and why.

The bigger point you’re missing or redirecting is at least these teams had more success reaching a Super Bowl or championship game at least once this era. That was the basis of the argument in who had won road playoff games and at least some success at one point this era. It’s not a personal preference but simply an analysis and critique comparison.

That means they figured it out in Cap Era at least once. Something we’ve failed to do. And something despite their lack of success otherwise you appear unwilling to admit we’ve come up short in that department.

And the other part of the argument you’ve failed to be critical of our franchise is the fact we haven’t landed an Elite QB which by your definition is only means to be a consistent contender. In another post I’ve asked and or suggested how we might define that but you failed to respond .

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They need to be warriors period. Their recent playoff home game record sucks too. And yes if they want to sniff a SB this year the path is all on the road. They need to get their backs against the wall, play with controlled anger and urgency, and everyone needs to step up.

rambo2

Reaction score
No doubt Philly will be favored but I don't expect an easy game vs Saints. NO has been playing very good defense as of late and will be fighting for their playoff lives in this game.
The right tackle situation is a huge issue especially when you add in their qb situation and the injuries to Maddox and Davis. Then we have the unknown on who else they lose during the game. The pressure is on them. It will be big if the Saints win and even if the Eagles win, the Cowboys would then be able to rest players the final week and they have extra time because of the Thursday game this week.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Watch what happens to the Eagles at right tackle and in their secondary.
well that is something we havent really been talking about in here. We lost Lewis, then we lost Brown, Rankins..... those were big hits to us and is it a coincidence that is exactly when our defense started to struggle? I dont know, but it sure seems strange that those injuries happened right when we went down hill on D.