CFZ Cowboys must become playoff road warriors

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I’m not sure you’re able to focus on critiquing this era. You kinda get all over the place in your response here. The Cap era is what you were initially arguing about in what teams had success and why.

The bigger point you’re missing or redirecting is at least these teams had more success reaching a Super Bowl or championship game at least once this era. That was the basis of the argument in who had won road playoff games and at least some success at one point this era. It’s not a personal preference but simply an analysis and critique comparison.

That means they figured it out in Cap Era at least once. Something we’ve failed to do. And something despite their lack of success otherwise you appear unwilling to admit we’ve come up short in that department.

And the other part of the argument you’ve failed to be critical of our franchise is the fact we haven’t landed an Elite QB which by your definition is only means to be a consistent contender. In another post I’ve asked and or suggested how we might define that but you failed to respond .

Landing the "Elite," QB is a total crapshoot. For every Brady or Manning, I can name 3 1st rd draft picks that were absolute garbage and many others that are nothing more than avg. There is no skill involved. You find a guy you like, you draft him and then you pray like hell it was THE GUY. Every now and then there is a Manning, Lawrence, Luck type guy that people view as a cant miss, but if you dont get one of those, you are praying like hell.

You keep saying these teams at least "Figured it out," 1 time in there 30 year stretch. I say that is absolute BS. All it takes is getting into the playoffs and having the ball bounce your way and pow, you are in a title game. Now if you can do that consistently, like the Colts did with Manning, the Pats did with Brady.... then I will buy your argument that they figured something out (they figured out how to do as the qb says) but one time in a sb.... then sucking, they didnt figure out jack squat.

The Bengals were the worst team in football (record wise) grabbed Burrow and immediately became contenders. You would argue the GM and coaches are doing all the right stuff and thats why they are now successful.. I call 100% BS on that. They got a flat out winner at QB and everything else they have been doing is the same as 90% of the teams. We have and will continue to go round and round on this topic.... BUT, I have actually heard some rumblings about Billy Boy needing to go/ WHAT????? I thought he was the greatest? How could you possibly get rid of him?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
They need to be warriors period. Their recent playoff home game record sucks too. And yes if they want to sniff a SB this year the path is all on the road. They need to get their backs against the wall, play with controlled anger and urgency, and everyone needs to step up.
Because if we play with urgency, we know the other team wont and we will dominate......smh

clichés like that are wondrfull.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Because if we play with urgency, we know the other team wont and we will dominate......smh

clichés like that are wondrfull.

or they are playing with urgency and the cowboys don't always.

rambo2

Reaction score
well that is something we havent really been talking about in here. We lost Lewis, then we lost Brown, Rankins..... those were big hits to us and is it a coincidence that is exactly when our defense started to struggle? I dont know, but it sure seems strange that those injuries happened right when we went down hill on D.
The Cowboys have overcome injuries all year long and now it is the Eagles turn and they are feeling the pressure.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Landing the "Elite," QB is a total crapshoot. For every Brady or Manning, I can name 3 1st rd draft picks that were absolute garbage and many others that are nothing more than avg. There is no skill involved. You find a guy you like, you draft him and then you pray like hell it was THE GUY. Every now and then there is a Manning, Lawrence, Luck type guy that people view as a cant miss, but if you dont get one of those, you are praying like hell.

You keep saying these teams at least "Figured it out," 1 time in there 30 year stretch. I say that is absolute BS. All it takes is getting into the playoffs and having the ball bounce your way and pow, you are in a title game. Now if you can do that consistently, like the Colts did with Manning, the Pats did with Brady.... then I will buy your argument that they figured something out (they figured out how to do as the qb says) but one time in a sb.... then sucking, they didnt figure out jack squat.

The Bengals were the worst team in football (record wise) grabbed Burrow and immediately became contenders. You would argue the GM and coaches are doing all the right stuff and thats why they are now successful.. I call 100% BS on that. They got a flat out winner at QB and everything else they have been doing is the same as 90% of the teams. We have and will continue to go round and round on this topic.... BUT, I have actually heard some rumblings about Billy Boy needing to go/ WHAT????? I thought he was the greatest? How could you possibly get rid of him?
You’re dismissing finally having success with “ lucking out”. Which is a cop out for the lack of Cowboys success this era . There is some skill involved in selecting the right guy then building around him.

You’re simply not able to accept the Cowboys are one of the few teams in Cap era that haven’t at least had some success in playoffs advancing to a championship or SB appearance.

Cowboys are also one of the few teams who haven’t drafted a QB

And the Bengals actually had an average team that went to playoffs 5 consecutive seasons with Dalton but never won a playoff game . Then after 4 consecutive losing season they let Dalton go and drafted Burrows.

You create things in your mind you believe to be true but we can factually discredit them.

Last edited:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
You’re dismissing finally having success with “ lucking out”. Which is a cop out for the lack of Cowboys success this era . There is some skill involved in selecting the right guy then building around him.

You’re simply not able to accept the Cowboys are one of the few teams in Cap era that haven’t at least had some success in playoffs advancing to a championship or SB appearance.

Cowboys are also one of the few teams who haven’t drafted a QB

And the Bengals actually had an average team that went to playoffs 5 consecutive seasons with Dalton but never won a playoff game . Then after 4 consecutive losing season they let Dalton go and drafted Burrows.

You create things in your mind you believe to be true but we can factually discredit them.
what did you discredit? That the Bengals had zero playoff success with Dalton??? You give them credit for losing 4 straight 1st rd playoff games, yet we are losers for doing basically the same thing....lol

Building around the legit qb just means drafting decent players. You think whats his face in New Orleans, the WR is some super star? Strange that Brees left and he aint done jack squat.

The Chiefs lost one of the best wrs in the game, right? wow, its a good thing the Chiefs rushed out to get that superstar JuJu to take his place. I mean, what would mahomes do without those all pro wrs he has at his disposal.

Those HOF wrs take a good solid guy and make them into superstars.

Ill always quote Nate Newton.... he said I was just an avg lineman and Emmitt showed up and I was immediately an all pro.

Joe GM is just another guy, joe coach is just another guy.... Joe Burrow shows up and wow, they are making all the right moves.......

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The Cowboys are in a really good spot now to prepare for the post season. Go into sputtering Tennessee full tilt and play to blow them out with the plan to start spelling guys in the 3rd Q and give some extensive work to the back ups. Rest the guys until Wednesday after this game.

See what happens with Philly on Sunday:
  • If Philly wins, the finale vs. the Commanders is all but useless and that game should be played with two objectives. Rest, or use sparingly, anyone nursing an injury that is effecting their play or guys who are otherwise worn out from the grind. Parsons, Diggs, Martin, Zeke, Lawrence, LVE, Schultz, Armstrong, Kearse all come to mind. I am sure there are others.
  • If Philly loses Sunday, see the plan for the Titans game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
what did you discredit? That the Bengals had zero playoff success with Dalton??? You give them credit for losing 4 straight 1st rd playoff games, yet we are losers for doing basically the same thing....lol

Building around the legit qb just means drafting decent players. You think whats his face in New Orleans, the WR is some super star? Strange that Brees left and he aint done jack squat.

The Chiefs lost one of the best wrs in the game, right? wow, its a good thing the Chiefs rushed out to get that superstar JuJu to take his place. I mean, what would mahomes do without those all pro wrs he has at his disposal.

Those HOF wrs take a good solid guy and make them into superstars.

Ill always quote Nate Newton.... he said I was just an avg lineman and Emmitt showed up and I was immediately an all pro.

Joe GM is just another guy, joe coach is just another guy.... Joe Burrow shows up and wow, they are making all the right moves.......
But someone has to make that decision to draft those talents . Some teams get bust and others are super stars . It does matter what team , ownership and coaching staff they go to. It’s not all just a lucky by chance proposition.

You think Brady would have been as great in Detroit or Cleveland for example ?

And why our franchise must be critiqued for not drafting the right guys and or bringing in the right coaching staff.

Shoot, we haven’t even tried to draft an Elite QB. But I never hear you bashing our front office for that. The one thing you think is needed for your favorite team hasn’t even made an attempt to get.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
But someone has to make that decision to draft those talents . Some teams get bust and others are super stars . It does matter what team , ownership and coaching staff they go to. It’s not all just a lucky by chance proposition.

You think Brady would have been as great in Detroit or Cleveland for example ?

And why our franchise must be critiqued for not drafting the right guys and or bringing in the right coaching staff.

Shoot, we haven’t even tried to draft an Elite QB. But I never hear you bashing our front office for that. The one thing you think is needed for your favorite team hasn’t even made an attempt to get.

so why havent the great Pats developed their current qb who stinks? Burrow would be garbage if he went to Detroit, right? Steve young had he played somewhere else would have been garbage, right?.....lol
The Cowboys have felt they had the right qb and the team was never in a position to draft a qb with the top 3 picks. Draft a qb late first rd and as I said, its all a crap shoot. Would you draft a qb right now i the middle of Dak's career? Would you have drafted a qb in the middle of Romo's career?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
so why havent the great Pats developed their current qb who stinks? Burrow would be garbage if he went to Detroit, right? Steve young had he played somewhere else would have been garbage, right?.....lol
The Cowboys have felt they had the right qb and the team was never in a position to draft a qb with the top 3 picks. Draft a qb late first rd and as I said, its all a crap shoot. Would you draft a qb right now i the middle of Dak's career? Would you have drafted a qb in the middle of Romo's career?
Steve Young did play somewhere else, I guess you forgot not having any success in Tampa before traded to SF?

And I didn’t say Brady would be garbage in Detroit or Cleveland for example. But not as likely to have had the same level of success. Just look the difference of Stafford after leaving Detroit. Another Steve Young type success story. Facts you continue missing. Prob cause they discredit your narrative.

Cowboys could have moved up in draft like other teams have to draft a QB. Parcells should have drafted a QB instead of using his former retreads of Testerverde and Bledsoe.

You continue to make excuses for this ownerships lack of drafting an Elite QB and their lack of playoff success leading to a championship game or SB appearance.

And as far as Romo , I’d argue they rushed to sign him before seeing how he’d do in playoffs and Dak they had 4 years on Rookie contract and another year on Tag to prevent from over paying him .

Neither situations did they have to be stuck with them preventing from pursuing a more Elite QB. I’d argue the Cowboys ownership while lucking out finding these QB’s have misevaluated both of these QB’s thinking they were or are Elite. And a big part of their lack of more success stuck closer to mediocrity than championship caliber.

And yes, I’d always be looking to draft another QB until I landed an Elite Qb. Problem is this ownership has believed they already had it.

Last edited:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Steve Young did play somewhere else, I guess you forgot not having any success in Tampa before traded to SF?

And I didn’t say Brady would be garbage in Detroit or Cleveland for example. But not as likely to have had the same level of success. Just look the difference of Stafford after leaving Detroit. Another Steve Young type success story. Facts you continue missing. Prob cause they discredit your narrative.

Cowboys could have moved up in draft like other teams have to draft a QB. Parcells should have drafted a QB instead of using his former retreads of Testerverde and Bledsoe.

You continue to make excuses for this ownerships lack of drafting an Elite QB and their lack of playoff success leading to a championship game or SB appearance.

And as far as Romo , I’d argue they rushed to sign him before seeing how he’d do in playoffs and Dak they had 4 years on Rookie contract and another year on Tag to prevent from over paying him .

Neither situations did they have to be stuck with them preventing from pursuing a more Elite QB. I’d argue the Cowboys ownership while lucking out finding these QB’s have misevaluated both of these QB’s thinking they were or are Elite. And a big part of their lack of more success stuck closer to mediocrity than championship caliber.

And yes, I’d always be looking to draft another QB until I landed an Elite Qb. Problem is this ownership has believed they already had it.

Right now..... look at the NFC and Dak is elite, and you and I have been talking for over a decade now, and I know that you know I have not been a fan of Dak. I have actually been what Id call a Dak hater. Right now, today, Dak is a top 5 QB in this league. Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, HUrts(im hesitant here as I need to see him do this for 2 more years) and Dak. I can no longer even say Herbert is better than Dak. So yea, Dak absolutely can win a SB at this point. Will he? No clue. By the way, Daks deal is looking pretty team friendly right now by the way. He is not over paid in comparison to the rest of the league. Look at Watson, Murray deals as examples. Look at the deals Herbert, Lamar are about to get and then lets look at Dak's deal.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Right now..... look at the NFC and Dak is elite, and you and I have been talking for over a decade now, and I know that you know I have not been a fan of Dak. I have actually been what Id call a Dak hater. Right now, today, Dak is a top 5 QB in this league. Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, HUrts(im hesitant here as I need to see him do this for 2 more years) and Dak. I can no longer even say Herbert is better than Dak. So yea, Dak absolutely can win a SB at this point. Will he? No clue. By the way, Daks deal is looking pretty team friendly right now by the way. He is not over paid in comparison to the rest of the league. Look at Watson, Murray deals as examples. Look at the deals Herbert, Lamar are about to get and then let’s look at Dak's deal.
I have defended Prescott against the Haters myself. Dak if surrounded with enough supporting cast and top 10 defense could be enough , but he’s not Elite.

Put Dak in Detroit or Cleveland for example and he’s prob average at best. And his contract only is beginning to look better 3 years out as other average to above average QB’s are being paid market price .

Bottomline is this goes against your narrative that you need an Elite QB unless you are saying and aligning yourself with our ownership that Prescott is Elite which they’ve always believed or at least hyped as such. Sounds more hypocritical to me as you move the goal post to support the Cowboys .

To be valid analyst and critics we must be as subjective and unbiased in our analysis about our team as the rest of the league or we come off as Homers.

Last edited:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I have defended Prescott against the Haters myself. Dak if surrounded with enough supporting cast and top 10 defense could be enough , he’s not Elite.

Put Dak in Detroit or Cleveland for example and he’s prob average at best. And his contract only is beginning to look better 3 years out as other average to above average QB’s are being paid market price .

Bottomline is this goes against your narrative that you need an Elite QB unless you are saying and aligning yourself with our ownership that Prescott is Elite which they’ve always believed or at least hyped as such. Sounds more hypocritical to me as you move the goal post to support the Cowboys .

To be valid analyst and critics we must be as subjected and unbiased in our analysis about our team as the rest of the league or we come off as Homers.
First off, I've never once said we were going to win a sb...so no homer here. What Iam saying is based on the current crop of qbs, daknis probably top 5... which is what I said in previous post. I'm not moving any"goal piats" to align with anything. Name me 5 qbs clearly better than Dak. Right now... and please don't say Brady.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
First off, I've never once said we were going to win a sb...so no homer here. What Iam saying is based on the current crop of qbs, daknis probably top 5... which is what I said in previous post. I'm not moving any"goal piats" to align with anything. Name me 5 qbs clearly better than Dak. Right now... and please don't say Brady.
Do you really want to turn this discussion about Prescott ? But sure . That’s easy .

Mahomes, Allen, Burrows, Rodgers, Herbert. I could have put Brady in there. Stafford last year or Hurts this year.

Prescott is in that next group. Which there’s no shame but not Elite. Most teams are left with building around a top10 caliber to above average QB.

But again this falls into your narrative of needing an Elite QB. Which in your mind the Cowboys now have . You’ve totally aligned yourself with our ownership and against most analysis.

Last edited:

RonWashington

Reaction score
Well being “ road warriors “ starts in Tenn and continues into what can be a huge game ( basically a playoff game for Wash ) the following week . Would give the Cowboys a nice winning vibe going into the playoffs . Saw how “ resting “ the starters did against Tampa opening night . Worst game of 2022 .

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Do you really want to turn this discussion about Prescott ? But sure . That’s easy .

Mahomes, Allen, Burrows, Rodgers, Herbert. I could have put Brady in there. Stafford last year or Hurts this year.

Prescott is in that next group. Which there’s no shame but not Elite. Most teams are left with building around a top10 caliber to above average QB.

But again this falls into your narrative of needing an Elite QB. Which in your mind the Cowboys now have . You’ve totally aligned yourself with our ownership and against most analysis.
MOst analysis??? bahahahah.... and have you watched Herbert this year? I know you havent because youve already said you dont watch much NFL.... Herbert is not better than Dak right now. Rodgers is not better than Dak right now.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well being “ road warriors “ starts in Tenn and continues into what can be a huge game ( basically a playoff game for Wash ) the following week . Would give the Cowboys a nice winning vibe going into the playoffs . Saw how “ resting “ the starters did against Tampa opening night . Worst game of 2022 .
you trying to compare months off during the offseason and not playing much PS leading up to a game 1 with new offense to us being 11-4 and locked into payoff spot with worn out and banged up players as do jot rest them.. hows that even in the same universe of debates.

you cant rest everyone but you can rest many after 20-25mins and get guys more healthy.. i mean if teams play for BYE that week off right, if game 17 isnt necessary thats our Bye, correct. im just saying you cant use that same argument.. 2 weeks off, nO but taking many snaps off Thursday and last game 17 is necessary, dudes are gassed and banged up you take advantage of the fact you made the playoff's with 2 left and strategically you can use that to your advantage,

I mean one too many snaps and what Dak breaks his hand, martin goes down , want that too happen. Coaching staff would never hear the end of it from fans and media if that happened in a meaningless game.

Be smart im sure they will have a plan.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
MOst analysis??? bahahahah.... and have you watched Herbert this year? I know you havent because youve already said you dont watch much NFL.... Herbert is not better than Dak right now. Rodgers is not better than Dak right now.
I haven’t watched much of Herbert this year but what I have seen he still looks more like the Proto Type Elite talent I’d be looking for in a 1st round pick Franchise QB. And I prob won’t be watching as much NFL next year with Direct TV losing the Ticket. I still watch several games on Sunday but not while Cowboys are on and not as much as on Saturdays as there is so many more games on.

But he’s still only in his third season I think going to make the playoffs for first time . And he has to go up against the Big 3 in Mahomes, Allen and Burrows. That’s going to be tough sledding to break thru that bunch. How do you think we’d do over there in AFC?

But I can’t think of any other up and coming QB I like more. Is he bonafide Elite yet. Probably not but he sure has the talent and makeup to be .

And Im ok with Dak but not all in. I would take Herbert and several others . Could we do worse . Of course. And is he enough to build around . It looks like but we must remember who our leader is. He couldn't win with Romo either.

Last edited:

cnuball21

Reaction score
I hope the big win against a strong contender in MN on the road helps boost confidence.

Gotta show up on the road. Really, really need the run game to be clicking and the defense to show up. That’ll help a ton.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys must now become something they haven’t been for 30 years- PLAYOFF ROAD WARRIORS.

The Cowboys all time road playoff record is 9-16. But after being 9-8 under Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson, the Cowboys are 0-8 in road playoff games since the 1992 season. Still hard to believe: Last road win was the 1992 NFC championship game @SF, Jan, 1993. Been 0-8 since. Here are the road playoff games since that ‘92 NFC championship game.
  • L Jan, 15, 1995, NFC championship @SF (38-28)
  • L-Jan 7, 1997, Div round @Carolina (26-17)
  • L-Jan 9, 2000, WC game @Minnesota (27-10)
  • L- Jan. 3, 2004, WC game @Carolina (29-10)
  • L- Jan 6, 2007, WC game @Sea (21-20)
  • L- Jan. 17, 2010, Div round @Minnesota (34-3)
  • L- Jan 11, 2015, Div round @GB (26-21)
  • L- Jan. 12, 2019, Div round @LArams (30-22)
Cowboys Head Coach All Time Road playoff records:
  • Tom Landry- 7-7
  • Jimmy Johnson- 2-1
  • Barry Switzer- 0-2
  • Chan Gailey- 0-1
  • Bill Parcells- 0-2
  • Wade Phillips- 0-1
  • Jason Garrett- 0-2
Amazingly, in the Jerry Jones era, we’ve only won 2 road playoff games- both won when Jimmy was HC. Even more amazing- Since Jimmy left, the Cowboys have not won a road playoff game. And- Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson are the only Cowboys HC’s to win road playoff games.

Big Mac has won a SB with the pack as a #6 seed. They won 3 playoff games on the road before winning the SB. That is now what this team must become.
Road Warriors "What A Rush"...

These boys better rush the ball on the road. Practice starts tonight.