Cowboys never trade back, but if they can find a trading partner, makes sense this yr!

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Maybe SF will want a replacement (Murphy sliding, maybe?) for Armstead and be willing to swap their 31st pick. They have three 4th round selections so they may be willing to deal.

If you really wanted to dial it in to the gnats ***, looks like the following math works out even.

Cowboys swap firsts with the 49ers. Cowboys get SF's 3rd round selection and their 5th in exchange for our 6th.

That give us picks 31(rd.1), 56(rd. 2) , 87(rd.3), 94(rd.3), 174(rd.5), 176(rd.5), 233(rd.7), and 244(rd.7). I'd take something like that unless something special falls in our lap.
Just take Murphy and move on. Too good to not take.

KevinHickey22

Reaction score
Hey, maybe they will.
It's not unprecedented.

Traded back in 2013: Gott Travis Frederick (31) and Terrance Williams (74) for the 18th pick
Trade back in 2021: Got Micah Parsons (12) and Chaucey Gholston (84) for the 10th pick
Would love to see Nix and Penix left when we are on the clock. That would likely turn into someone over paying to draft a QB.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Other teams are equally aware of this draft's depth.

There may not be a ton of willing partners willing to give up 3rd round picks.

Now, late 4th round picks and later? Have at them.

Never forget the thinnest draft in recent history of 2009. The Cowboys traded down multiple times and NFL teams were happy to let them.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Maybe SF will want a replacement (Murphy sliding, maybe?) for Armstead and be willing to swap their 31st pick. They have three 4th round selections so they may be willing to deal.

If you really wanted to dial it in to the gnats ***, looks like the following math works out even.

Cowboys swap firsts with the 49ers. Cowboys get SF's 3rd round selection and their 5th in exchange for our 6th.

That give us picks 31(rd.1), 56(rd. 2) , 87(rd.3), 94(rd.3), 174(rd.5), 176(rd.5), 233(rd.7), and 244(rd.7). I'd take something like that unless something special falls in our lap.
If even think about trading with the Niners we better be rapping them. How embarrassing will it be when the move up and give us our 4th round pick back?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You get what you negotiate. No way I am trading out of the 1st round without a 2nd round pick this year and no.1 pick next year. That is NFL trade class 101. See all the other teams get exactly what I am saying. The value chart is a guide not the law.
Better have a player that commands that type of package

rambo2

Reaction score
This again lol. Like I said, it establishes a tendency that shouldnt be ignored. If you want to live by whimsy, thats all you
A lot of people think that this draft sets up for the Cowboys to trade back.

rambo2

Reaction score
Just take Murphy and move on. Too good to not take.
If Murphy is there, they should take him. It is an obvious pick for me. He would be their best dtackle in decades and would give them a chance to win.

rambo2

Reaction score
Alot of people say that every year
It just depends on who is on the board. I could see them taking Byron Murphy or Graham Barton at 24. If they are gone I could see them trading back and taking Jordan Morgan, Zach Frazier, Darius Robinson, Kingsley Suamataia, Edgerrin Cooper, or Payton Wilson.

A trade back makes sense this year because they have a lot of holes to fill and not enough picks to do so.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It just depends on who is on the board. I could see them taking Byron Murphy or Graham Barton at 24. If they are gone I could see them trading back and taking Jordan Morgan, Zach Frazier, Darius Robinson, Kingsley Suamataia, Edgerrin Cooper, or Payton Wilson.

A trade back makes sense this year because they have a lot of holes to fill and not enough picks to do so.
I still think its unlikely. Good draft at the top means its likely they will have a player they value at 24. 2013 is the best draft to look at as far as trading down, and that was a very weak draft at the top. Reid was they guy would have draft if they could move and Jones said "18 was rich for Reid"

Jayinem

Reaction score
What if a team that had a late first round pick always traded it for 2 second round picks? I think the drop off isn't that much and you get two players instead of 1.

Unless a slam dunk is there in the first. So you'd have to do it during the draft.

Gambit

Reaction score
We just don't know who will be available until the draft actually happens. Question is who are they willing to pass up to obtain an additional selection? We also have no idea who they are targeting, under MM his 30 visitors don't always show us a road map. Tyler Smith for example never was a 30 day visitor nor a Dallas Day guy. We can say the same about Lamb. Bergeron/LaPorta were suppose to be in the mix last yr and neither came for a visit.
Later round guys tend to be 30 Visits I expect Goncalves to be a Cowboy if he's there in 5th.

Majic

Reaction score
Cowboys should be looking for trading partners now and get a provisional deal in place.