Cowboys never trade back, but if they can find a trading partner, makes sense this yr!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We have so many needs they should have pretty much every position on their 1st round board so it shouldn’t be much different than consensus rankings…but it is the Cowboys we’re talking about so they’ll probably have Guyton ranked higher than MHJ.
So many needs, tells me they need more picks.

rambo2

Reaction score
Fans always say why don't you trade back and accumulate more picks, that isn't easy as it seems. First you need a player that a team highly covets, where they are willing to give up extra pick or picks to land him. Lastly, the trade back team has to be comfortable losing value if they lose back. It's the quality vs quantity discussion.

When you look at the Cowboy Offseason and current draft picks, in makes a ton of sense this year:

-They lost their starting LT, Center, RB, #3 WR, NT, DE and NT. They just replaced only the MLB starting position.
-Cowboys traded away their 4th rd selection to acquire Trey Lance.
-Their day 3 selections are late rd comp picks.
-Day 3 depth in this class is reportedly very bad

Moving back to the end of rd 1, probably nets the Cowboys an additional 3rd rd selection. They still can get that 5th yr option on that player picked. Now they could move back further and get either an additional 2nd rounder, but also a 3rd and re-coup that 4th they traded away.

Which prospects could a team be willing to trade up for?

-Always look at the high priority money positions: QB, LT, Pass Rusher, Corner, Receiver.
They traded back when they drafted Parsons.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Fans always say why don't you trade back and accumulate more picks, that isn't easy as it seems. First you need a player that a team highly covets, where they are willing to give up extra pick or picks to land him. Lastly, the trade back team has to be comfortable losing value if they lose back. It's the quality vs quantity discussion.

When you look at the Cowboy Offseason and current draft picks, in makes a ton of sense this year:

-They lost their starting LT, Center, RB, #3 WR, NT, DE and NT. They just replaced only the MLB starting position.

Moving back to the end of rd 1, probably nets the Cowboys an additional 3rd rd selection. They still can get that 5th yr option on that player picked. Now they could move back further and get either an additional 2nd rounder, but also a 3rd and re-coup that 4th they traded away.

-Always look at the high priority money positions: QB, LT, Pass Rusher, Corner, Receiver.
Suamataia would be a great get if they could trade down and get him. Honestly he would be a solid 24. I think if they absolutely wanted an OT, Paul would be a good alternative

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We just don't know who will be available until the draft actually happens. Question is who are they willing to pass up to obtain an additional selection? We also have no idea who they are targeting, under MM his 30 visitors don't always show us a road map. Tyler Smith for example never was a 30 day visitor nor a Dallas Day guy. We can say the same about Lamb. Bergeron/LaPorta were suppose to be in the mix last yr and neither came for a visit.
Mazi wasn't a 30 last year either I believe. Could be wrong

raven55

Reaction score
every blue moon dumb and dumber get lucky. but the jury is out on steele and parson's is starting to rub some of them a little raw with his pod cast

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Suamataia would be a great get if they could trade down and get him. Honestly he would be a solid 24. I think if they absolutely wanted an OT, Paul would be a good alternative
He would be on the list with Frazier, perhaps Cooper.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Maybe SF will want a replacement (Murphy sliding, maybe?) for Armstead and be willing to swap their 31st pick. They have three 4th round selections so they may be willing to deal.

If you really wanted to dial it in to the gnats ***, looks like the following math works out even.

Cowboys swap firsts with the 49ers. Cowboys get SF's 3rd round selection and their 5th in exchange for our 6th.

That give us picks 31(rd.1), 56(rd. 2) , 87(rd.3), 94(rd.3), 174(rd.5), 176(rd.5), 233(rd.7), and 244(rd.7). I'd take something like that unless something special falls in our lap.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

How did Parcells get a no.1 pick for trading down to a high pick in the 2nd round. Cowboys ended up with the famous 2005 draft that had 2 1st round picks.

They did the same trade down in 2007 and ended up with 2 no. 1 picks in 2008 still having a 2nd round pick.

So, if I trade down in the 1st, I am getting a 1 next year and a 2 this year.

Last edited:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
How did Parcells get a no.1 pick for trading down to a high pick in the 2nd round. Cowboys ended up with the famous 2005 draft that had 2 1st round picks.

They did the same trade down in 2007 and ended up with 2 no. 1 picks in 2008 still having a 2nd round pick.

So, if I trade down in the 1st, I am getting a 1 next year and a 2 this year.
Teams value draft picks far more today then 20 years ago

MikeT22

Reaction score
We had this situation present itself last year. KC offered their 3rd to Dallas to move from 31 to our 26.
But Jerry, the self-proclaimed risk-taker, nixed it because he was afraid we would miss out on our top two targets, Mazi and OL Bergeron.

Bergeron went in the 2nd, but can you imagine missing out on Mazi!!!

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Teams value draft picks far more today then 20 years ago
You get what you negotiate. No way I am trading out of the 1st round without a 2nd round pick this year and no.1 pick next year. That is NFL trade class 101. See all the other teams get exactly what I am saying. The value chart is a guide not the law.