News: Cowboys Now Taking an Aggressive Approach in Secondary

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys Now Taking an Aggressive Approach in Secondary
Posted on August 11, 2016 by Ben Grimaldi
http://cowboyszone.com/2016/08/cowboys-now-taking-an-aggressive-approach-in-secondary.html

http://cowboyszone.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2015/08/2015_Day2-013-2-300x201.jpg
In the past few seasons, Dallas Cowboys fans have gotten used to the sight of watching their cornerbacks allow completions right in front them. That is part of the bend but don’t break, and the allow no big play, philosophy of defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli.

The idea is simple, force teams to make short plays in the hopes they will mess up sooner rather than later. That’s when a defense cashes in on their opportunities; we saw how well that worked in 2014.

However, in the last four seasons, the Cowboys have ranked near the bottom of the league in interceptions. The secondary under former coach Jerome Henderson didn’t make enough plays and have finished in the bottom third of the league during three of Henderson’s four years in Dallas.

That wasn’t good enough and the Cowboys finally did something about it. The team let go of Henderson and hired former University of Michigan defensive backs coach Greg Jackson to the same position. Jackson appears to be bringing more aggression to the secondary...

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
When you have two slow safeties who take bad angles, it's difficult to be aggressive with your corners. This secondary will go as Byron Jones goes.
Jones and Heath are fast. They should be the nickel and dime safeties without question.

Frozen700

Reaction score
Yeah ok.....

I'm sure we will see the same ****, except from Oscan.

Mo might get more PI's called on him this year.

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
My experience while playing soccer as a defender when I was inexperience was just to keep myself between the goal and the ball (play a zone defense) and dont give up the big play. But thats for inexperienced players. Once experienced, you would stick to the offense like glue and deny them the ball and intercept those passes. Thats when I really got noticed.

Playing total zone shows that you are not confident and are inexperienced. It about time the Cowboys secondary takes charge gets some confidence and shows some experience. Leave the total zone secondary for the teams that are not going to the Superbowl.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
At this early stage, I'm not about to credit Coach Jackson with the distinction of solving our secondary problems just yet. The results that we're seeing in TC and those that we may see in the regular season are two entirely different propositions.

Kindly allow me to say, however, that I am encouraged by the preliminary indications at this particular point in training camp. I would agree that the early indications are encouraging but when the bullets start flying for real, like the wise folks from Missouri would say . . . show me.

Last edited:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
When you have two slow safeties who take bad angles, it's difficult to be aggressive with your corners. This secondary will go as Byron Jones goes.
Agree, similar to how Woody hid Roy from coverage early in his career. Church is no young Roy, but could be manageable for a season. Maybe Heath has turned that corner and can supplant Church but this staff seems to stick with the vets until forced. It's a slow secondary (Carr/Church) and it's hard to hide that every passing play regardless of the coverage called.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
If Claiborne is ever going to find himself, it's going to be in a more aggressive system. Fingers crossed.

MissionCoach

Reaction score
Would be a good start if they at least turned around when the ball is in the air

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If Claiborne is ever going to find himself, it's going to be in a more aggressive system. Fingers crossed.

We are desperate for it.

Claiborne being a jag has really hurt us. I can not believe the player I watched in College is not a top 3 NFL corner right now but he is so far from that it's ridiculous.

CCBoy

Reaction score
At this early stage, I'm not about to credit Coach Jackson with the distinction of solving our secondary problems just yet. The results that we're seeing in TC and those that we may see in the regular season are two entirely different propositions.

Kindly allow me to say, however, that I am encouraged by the preliminary indications at this particular point in training camp. I would agree that the early indications are encouraging but when the bullets start flying for real, like the wise folks from Missouri would say . . . show me.

Hey, it's an intensity direction if play...I like that much.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Hey, it's an intensity direction if play...I like that much.

Wel-l-l, my fervent hope is that the required intensity in combat conditions = the required intensity we've seen in training camp. -- lol.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Wel-l-l, my fervent hope is that the required intensity in combat conditions = the required intensity we've seen in training camp. -- lol.

I was a linebacker...hell, make the defensive side of the ball, the black 'n blue zone. Make every gain there, painful!

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
I would like it if our CB's got a INT before Week 14, plus turning around when the ball was in the air too.