News: Cowboys Now Taking an Aggressive Approach in Secondary

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I was a linebacker...hell, make the defensive side of the ball, the black 'n blue zone. Make every gain there, painful!

Sounds good to me as long as the defensive backs play as aggressively and forbid the separation like they did in practice. That'd be nice.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Those who haven't seen a change haven't been paying attention. The video clips from camp are showing much more aggressive work from the corners in particular....you are seeing a lot more in the way of challenged passes in the 7 on 7 and in the 1 on 1's, where everything favors the offense. It certainly is encouraging but if it doesn't make it's way into game action than it shows we still have a long way to go.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Imagine what this first list would look like if you switched around the rankings in the second list:

Playoff Wins
White 5
Romo 2

Cowboys' Average rank in Defensive Passer Rating
1980-82: 5th
2006-15: 22nd

Over the last 10 seasons, teams that ranked 5th in DPR went 10-6 on average, while teams that ranked 22nd were 6-10.

MagicMan

Reaction score
LOL, makes me chuckle. "Now we are getting serious". Will work til opposing offenses make them pay if they are predictably aggressive. You don't just say "I'm going to be aggressive". You play back some ,you jump the route sometimes......you know, surprise them. Keep the other QB guessing. I am no genius but isn't that what makes it chess rather than checkers?.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Wel-l-l, my fervent hope is that the required intensity in combat conditions = the required intensity we've seen in training camp. -- lol.

I was a linebacker...hell, make the defensive side of the ball, the black 'n blue zone. Make every gain there, painful!
LOL, makes me chuckle. "Now we are getting serious". Will work til opposing offenses make them pay if they are predictably aggressive. You don't just say "I'm going to be aggressive". You play back some ,you jump the route sometimes......you know, surprise them. Keep the other QB guessing. I am no genius but isn't that what makes it chess rather than checkers?.

Oh yes...football is all cerebral.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I havent seen it yet
shocked_face.jpg

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Claiborne is ever going to find himself, it's going to be in a more aggressive system. Fingers crossed.

It would truly be a great turnaround story, and a great thing for him, this team, and us fans. If he has the season we hope, everybody wins.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

Nobody suggested it would be accomplished with words, did they? Of course, scheme and tactics must play a prominent role in rendering the other team's offense ineffective but our past inclinations both scheme-wise and in terms of aggression were sorely lacking. Hopefully, that will change.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
We are desperate for it.

Claiborne being a jag has really hurt us. I can not believe the player I watched in College is not a top 3 NFL corner right now but he is so far from that it's ridiculous.
Esp when honey badger shouldn't have been a good S in the pros and has been ridiculously good.

Maybe HB helped Morris look good...

CWR

Reaction score
Well I definitely saw dbs breaking on the ball tonight. Thats something I hadnt seen alot of before hand.