Cowboys officially part with Hutchinson

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
BlueWave said:
Interesting enough, Mortenson said today that the job was wide open for competition and then listed the four QB's stressing to remember the name Tony Romo. Now, I don't think Romo will win it, but there is no secret that Parcells loves Romo and feels he has a great deal of potential. That being said, I just cannot see him risking Romo on the practice squad, he would be claimed by someone. So someone has to go. Carter, Testeverde, Henson, or Romo.

Let's take Henson out of the equation. So either Testeverde, Romo, or Carter must go. I don't see Testeverde released. He was brought in to mentor Henson and play if he shows the best in camp. Vinny is the only real experienced veteran QB and he knows the system already. That would leave Carter and Romo. If Carter makes the team, Romo will either have to be cut, added to the practice squad, or we keep four QB's, which I cannot see us doing. My guess is, Romo would be cut. But, who is more of a threat to the developement of Henson, Romo or Carter?

In short, I think if Testaverde outperforms Carter in camp, there is a good chance Carter will be moved. If he's not the present, we know he is not the future, what does he serve other than a distraction? It's not a stretch.

True, but what ever happened to the idea of having quality depth? Granted, if Quincy makes it clear he won't be a team player as a backup on this team, then you must let him go. But if he were to embrace the backup role, realizing that with a 40-year old starter his time could come any moment should an injury occur, why would we unload him unless an attractive draft pick were dangled in front of us for his services?

As a starter, Quincy's ability is questionable. But as a backup, if he embraced the role, he would be a high-quality player for us in my mind. A backup quarterback you know is capable of taking you to the playoffs? Sounds good to me.

I see what you're saying, that if Romo, Henson and Testaverde are essentially "locks", and Quincy doesn't win the starting job, it could scream trouble for his chances of making the team. I guess I just think it's silly to have a 40-year old quarterback and a bunch of developmental guys behind him.

I guess a Romo-Henson battle for "quarterback of the future" just reminds me of Hutchinson and Carter a few years ago.

I'd prefer a proven backup somewhere in the mix. If Quincy starts, we have that in Testaverde. If Testaverde starts, it'd be nice to have that in Quincy.

50cent

Reaction score
BlueWave said:
Interesting enough, Mortenson said today that the job was wide open for competition and then listed the four QB's stressing to remember the name Tony Romo. Now, I don't think Romo will win it, but there is no secret that Parcells loves Romo and feels he has a great deal of potential. That being said, I just cannot see him risking Romo on the practice squad, he would be claimed by someone. So someone has to go. Carter, Testeverde, Henson, or Romo.

Let's take Henson out of the equation. So either Testeverde, Romo, or Carter must go. I don't see Testeverde released. He was brought in to mentor Henson and play if he shows the best in camp. Vinny is the only real experienced veteran QB and he knows the system already. That would leave Carter and Romo. If Carter makes the team, Romo will either have to be cut, added to the practice squad, or we keep four QB's, which I cannot see us doing. My guess is, Romo would be cut. But, who is more of a threat to the developement of Henson, Romo or Carter?

In short, I think if Testaverde outperforms Carter in camp, there is a good chance Carter will be moved. If he's not the present, we know he is not the future, what does he serve other than a distraction? It's not a stretch.
You mean the same Mortenson that predicted last season that BP favored Hutch over QC. And the same Mortenson that stated that the only reason QC was starting in the pre-season was to see if he would be cut the next week after damn near every pre-season game. Or the same Mortenson that stated that the competition last year was so wide open that Romo could start after his bomb to RWilliams? Which Mortenson are you refering to?

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
BlueStar II said:
Too bad we couldn't have gotten something for Hutchinson.
What idiot, other than JJ circa 2000 would trade for Hutch.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
50cent said:
You mean the same Mortenson that predicted last season that BP favored Hutch over QC. And the same Mortenson that stated that the only reason QC was starting in the pre-season was to see if he would be cut the next week after damn near every pre-season game. Or the same Mortenson that stated that the competition last year was so wide open that Romo could start after his bomb to RWilliams? Which Mortenson are you refering to?

How quickly Mort's rambling's get forgotten.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Dale said:
I'd prefer a proven backup somewhere in the mix. If Quincy starts, we have that in Testaverde. If Testaverde starts, it'd be nice to have that in Quincy.

Same here.

I don't think Carter has any problem competing to start and he'd accept a reserve role if Testaverde beat him out.

Parcells has been up front with him and he can ask for nothing more.

And releasing the incumbent veteran after signing an experienced back-up just doesn't make sense.

The whole idea behind adding Vinny is to have a second option to choose from.

Cutting Carter would defeat the purpose of bringing in a veteran quarterback to improve depth.

It'd be back to square one.

I don't believe that to be the plan.

Playoff teams need two quarterbacks on the roster capable of winning games.

Dallas now has that and I don't see it changing this year.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
under the bus,

He was so "inside" saying Chad was the QB Parcells favored. In fact he was pissing in the wind!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yesfan said:
The Cowboys ended Chad Hutchinson's tenure with the team by waiving the quarterback Tuesday afternoon.

I wonder if they had any serious offers on draft day? That is when he should have been moved.

zack

Reaction score
BlueWave said:

Really how much does Mortenson know? How many times has he been wrong...plenty.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
50cent said:

Probably the same Mortenson that said AB would not be back.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
BlueWave said:

Mort said Chutch would win last year. Where exactly has he proven he knows anything at all. ALL the local media has stated it is QC's job to lose, even Mick.

geez, I see everyone jumped on Mort's great track record.

BTW, Carter isnt going anywhere and to think he is this season borders on football insanity. Carter at worst is the backup QB here. Romo isnt passing QC and neither are Henson. IF we started Vinyn we wouldnt have a 40 year old with zero experience behind him. Not after signing all of these older players to compete this year.

Vinny will have a shot, albeit slim, to unseat QC but thats about it. All his haters can hope for is QC as backup.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
BTW, does Hutch's release mean all the poor QC backers were wrong about his value? OR is it that the QC haters were once again proven ignorant of football related concepts.

Some guys just never get tired of digging shoe from their mouths I guess.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jterrell said:
Mort said Chutch would win last year. Where exactly has he proven he knows anything at all. ALL the local media has stated it is QC's job to lose, even Mick.

geez, I see everyone jumped on Mort's great track record.

BTW, Carter isnt going anywhere and to think he is this season borders on football insanity. Carter at worst is the backup QB here. Romo isnt passing QC and neither are Henson. IF we started Vinyn we wouldnt have a 40 year old with zero experience behind him. Not after signing all of these older players to compete this year.

Vinny will have a shot, albeit slim, to unseat QC but thats about it. All his haters can hope for is QC as backup.

I would agree that if Vinny were to win the job that Dallas would not release Carter. He would remain on the team as a backup. After the season was over that could be a different story and more than likely Carter would be traded or released. At this time I'm more than willing to sit back and watch how this all plays out during camp and pre-season and I honestly wish all the players who are heading to camp the best of luck and that includes Carter

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I would agree that if Vinny were to win the job that Dallas would not release Carter. He would remain on the team as a backup. After the season was over that could be a different story and more than likely Carter would be traded or released. At this time I'm more than willing to sit back and watch how this all plays out during camp and pre-season and I honestly wish all the players who are heading to camp the best of luck and that includes Carter
Dooms,
Lets "assume" Vinny wins the job to play out that scenario.

You've got a backup who is a .500 career QB and has double digit wins in 4 years in the league. He's proven he isnt a special QB in either the good or the bad sense. He has started only 1 full seaosn and that seaosn his team went to the playoffs.

Fast forward to the following season. VT started all year and you come in with the same 4 QBs on the roster. Are you willing to jettison that backup? VT is 42 by then. DH will still have not taken a live snap. Neither has Romo.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell said:
BTW, does Hutch's release mean all the poor QC backers were wrong about his value? OR is it that the QC haters were once again proven ignorant of football related concepts.

In the end, IMO, it still makes both sides look silly or bad because of how they have argued over and over about the same thing and took many things to extremes to press their views on the whole QC/Hutch topic.

With that said...I have to say that if anyone really thinks QC will be cut...just to keep Romo around this offseason....well man that just seems crazy to me.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jterrell said:
Dooms,
Lets "assume" Vinny wins the job to play out that scenario.

You've got a backup who is a .500 career QB and has double digit wins in 4 years in the league. He's proven he isnt a special QB in either the good or the bad sense. He has started only 1 full seaosn and that seaosn his team went to the playoffs.

Fast forward to the following season. VT started all year and you come in with the same 4 QBs on the roster. Are you willing to jettison that backup? VT is 42 by then. DH will still have not taken a live snap. Neither has Romo.

If this plays out where Vinny were to unseat (please notice I'm not saying it is a sure thing) Carter then yes before the start of the 2005 season I think Carter would be on the trading block. 1 reason I think Carter would be asking for his walking papers because I don't think he would accept a backup role and 2 for Carter to lose his job would show he has not progressed as the team would have hoped for and I don't see them invest yet more time. I won't get into the debate about the Team record, I have said many times before teams win games not individuals and the fact is Dallas has won games depsite poor play from Carter. Right now though with the start of training camp I'm trying to back off on Carter and allow this to all play itself out because for me this is never been about personal dislike it is all about performace which as you know I have not been happy with at all.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jterrell said:

Tell us how great you are.

When are you going to realize that the "divisiveness" you claim to hate is caused by that kind of "I'm superior" attitude? Labeling people as "ignorant" or "rednecks" because they have doubts about a player's abilities is the kind of act that feeds the very thing you claim to dislike.

Believe it or not there are a lot of fans who weren't fond of either option. It's not a this guy or that guy world in the fandom of the Dallas Cowboys. A good many of the people you try to pounce on wanted Byron Leftwich. How does that make them Hutchers? The labels you try to apply to people don't always fit.

But if it makes you feel better, go right ahead. Enjoy yourself.

For the record to any and all other Cowboys fans who jump into this thread now that it has a condescending attitude, no matter which side of that stupid debate you are/were on, I don't think you are ignorant or lacking in football knowledge because you stated an opinion. My appreciation to any and all who can discuss this topic without having to rub people's noses in it. You know who you are. The extremists are the ones who drive this topic into the ditch. A good many of you on both sides fall victim to their tactics and get labeled as "Haters" or "Apologists." It's a shame.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Fleas fighting over the same dogs back. That's what this reminds me of. I agree, it is beyond the realm of reality to think that Carter will be cut regardless. Unless he completely self distructs, I think he's here for the season. I guess I just don't understand. Almost everybody, on either side of the fence has indicated that this job is Carter's to lose. Where is the point of contention?

"Splain it Lucy!"

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
jterrell said:

Don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back. I still can't believe you are a moderator. You might want to look up the definition of that before you post.

Not all QC haters or critics (because you can be critical of a player without hating him) were Hutch supporters either. Nice blanket statement. And not all haters are ignorant of football concepts because it was fairly obvious that the play at QB was severely lacking last year.

This smug attitude over QC makes me laugh. I guess it is good you have such a superior attitude over a bottom of the barrel QB. QB play was dreadful last year and needs to improve or this team will be mired in mediocrity. I could care less who it is as long as some one steps up.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Hostile said:
The extremists are the ones who drive this topic into the ditch. A good many of you on both sides fall victim to their tactics and get labeled as "Haters" or "Apologists." It's a shame.

Amen! Truly a shame.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
I see what JT is getting at. Some of us, just because we wouldn't come out and say that QC was the worst QB in the league, and were labeled as "Apologists", were said to have no knowledge of "evaluating football talent.".

I even had one say to me, when talking about another player, "Well, you like Quincy, so I'll keep that in mind." Now, this person MAY have been joking, but then again, he may not have. When you have disagreements with people, some people just can't disagree with the subject at hand, they tend to take "old" disagreements and interject them into places that they don't need to be.

The bottom line is that people thought that Chutch was the next best thing, and some of us just didn't see it.....not only did he not have it in college, he didn't have it anywhere. Yet, people wanted him to make it just because he wasn't QC.