Cowboys OL Matt Farniok has had mixed training camp at guard; will focus on center

Bagman

Reaction score
Guard-Center-Guard performances against Philly and Giants DTs will likely determine some measure of divisional team success.
Exactly !! Does our front office realize just how physical and powerful the Eagle and Giant DT groups are ? If we can't move those guys and get a running game going, both those teams are capable of rolling us.

RS12

Reaction score
Hidden in this tweet and unsaid, Martin needs to get in here, pronto.

Sydla

Reaction score
LOL...You don't know what you're talking about (especially due to inexperience of ever played football, much less on the Oline).

This isn't hard. People around here, maybe not you, propped up Farniok (and others) as competent replacements to Martin when it came out that Martin was going to hold out. But now we know that Farniok has been up and down in camp and they are going to run him more at C now. There isn't muich at OG behind Tyler Smith and Zack Martin. Now if you want to argue that's because our coaching isn't getting the best out of the JAGs we have, that's fine. But the reality is those guys are what those guys are right now. Which would be fine if you were looking for a one or two game fill in. But if Martin holds out for longer? We have a real problem.

Not sure why you guys want to argue or debate that. The reality is that when people defend the decision making of the franchise, they often resort to some real streches of reality, which in this case, involved crapping on Martin and then trying to argue that the Cowboys can weather the storm without him. It's unlikely they can if this doesn't get fixed soon (which by the way, I think it will be and he'll be back in camp at the end and ready for the season).

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This isn't hard. People around here, maybe not you, propped up Farniok (and others) as competent replacements to Martin when it came out that Martin was going to hold out. But now we know that Farniok has been up and down in camp and they are going to run him more at C now. There isn't muich at OG behind Tyler Smith and Zack Martin. Now if you want to argue that's because our coaching isn't getting the best out of the JAGs we have, that's fine. But the reality is those guys are what those guys are right now. Which would be fine if you were looking for a one or two game fill in. But if Martin holds out for longer? We have a real problem.

Not sure why you guys want to argue or debate that reality. The reality is that when people defend the decision making of the franchise, they often resort to some real streches of reality, which in this case, involved crapping on Martin and then trying to argue that the Cowboys can weather the storm without him. It's unlikely they can if this doesn't get fixed soon (which by the way, I think it will be and he'll be back in camp at the end and ready for the season).
You don't understand. The problem can be easily fixed by improving all Olinemen's foot quickness, mobility, strength, aggressiveness and smarts. Get the proper coach in place, you won't need to be using costly 1st round picks all the time on Olinemen.

Sydla

Reaction score
You don't understand. The problem can be easily fixed by improving all Olinemen's foot quickness, mobility, strength, aggressiveness and smarts. Get the proper coach in place, you won't need to be using costly 1st round picks all the time on Olinemen.
I think we are talking about two different things. How is the highlighted above going to change in the next 3-4 weeks?

I am only talking about this season for now, not what we should be doing/worrying about 2-3 seasons down the road. People on this board did mention Farniok as a potential competent replacement for Martin, THIS YEAR, if Martin held out. That appears to be a real stretch in reality given the fact he's largely been panned in camp and now focusing on C.

Yes, bigger picture, depending on how the current OL coach does, I think upgrading the OL coach would be a smart, prudent move.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Lol, we can't even field a starting OL that doesn't give people anxiety and yet yall mad that the coaching staff doesn't want to play Dak during the preseason? . Guess some of yall really want Dak to go down for the season as soon as possible huh

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I think we are talking about two different things. How is the highlighted above going to change in the next 3-4 weeks?

I am only talking about this season for now, not what we should be doing/worrying about 2-3 seasons down the road. People on this board did mention Farniok as a potential competent replacement for Martin, THIS YEAR, if Martin held out. That appears to be a real stretch in reality given the fact he's largely been panned in camp and now focusing on C.

Yes, bigger picture, depending on how the current OL coach does, I think upgrading the OL coach would be a smart, prudent move.
I'm talking about how this can be fixed right now. It's like military boot camp. You go in barely able to run 1 mile. A few months later, you're running 10+ miles nonstop and in the best physical shape of your life.

Totally agree the correct Oline coach is not in place.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I'm talking about how this can be fixed right now. It's like military boot camp. You go in barely able to run 1 mile. A few months later, you're running 10+ miles nonstop and in the best physical shape of your life.

You can thank Philbin for this mess.

Ever notice how big Mike's buddies always leave a mess to clean up? Nolan. Philbin. Davis.

Give Solari time to fix it.

Sydla

Reaction score

Well for starters, I tend to think you overrate the talent we have on the roster beyond Smith and Martin. They are JAGs. But I also agree that you shouldn't need to throw all first round picks at the OL to make it a good one.

Two, while I concur that coaching can have an impact, I don't think a new coach right now would change much immediately. We would still need Martin back.

Three, and I am sure you recognize this, it's nearly impossible to replace your OL coach now and find an elite one just waiting for a job with the Cowboys.

So basically it gets back to the original point. That for 2023, we better hope like hell this Martin thing doesn't drag out through half or all the season.

Reaction score
Given how many of the other puzzle pieces are in place it blows my mind that they are rolling the dice on this OL. I guess they don't want to move on from some of these guys until after they get a chance with the new blocking schemes.

Creeper

Reaction score
I thought it was obvious last year that Farniok was much better at C than G. This is no surprise to me. But this is the year he has to prove he should make the team. If we don't see marked improvement from him, it may be time to look at other options for both backup positions.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I thought it was obvious last year that Farniok was much better at C than G. This is no surprise to me. But this is the year he has to prove he should make the team. If we don't see marked improvement from him, it may be time to look at other options for both backup positions.
Farn was a RG in college.

I dont think it's gonna work out.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
It's time for Coach McCarthy to walk into the two clowns(Jerry and Steven) office running this franchise and demand they get Zach Martin into camp....restructure, add a couple of years to his deal with a hefty bonus and get the captain and offensive line back on track

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
It's time for Coach McCarthy to walk into the two clowns(Jerry and Steven) office running this franchise and demand they get Zach Martin into camp....restructure, add a couple of years to his deal with a hefty bonus and get the captain and offensive line back on track
What's that gonna do? Martin doesn't need training camp. But these young guys need to show whether or not they will be able to handle starting. If they can't then the team knows they need to start wheeling and dealing. Or checking current FA. Bringing back Martin now isn't gonna change the fact that the players behind him suck. It only allows them to hide better. I'd rather find out now these guys won't be able to hack it, then wait till game 15 and find out oh snaps this guy can't cut it