Cowboys Oline finishes 2018 season ranked 31st out of 32 teams in sacks allowed

Zman5

Reaction score
Some of the sacks are on Dak but the real culprit is the offensive scheme. Our scheme is predicated on having a great OL.

Why do you think Aikman got battered until he got a great OL? Why do you think he started getting happy feet at the end of his career when the OL started to get bad?

Romo was master at avoiding the rush but even he got killed repeatedly shortening his career.

I've posted the following before. It's a snippet from a write up on Coryell offense.

"Given that the QB is targeting downfield receivers and the running game uses a power scheme against a numbers advantage, it's important that the offensive line is among the best in the league. The WCO can operate with smaller players and mask their deficiencies with movement and speed. The Coryell offense cannot and requires significant investment in the OL in order to produce consistent results."

The early 1990s Washington offenses of Joe Gibbs are emblematic of a team whose success came from their dominance in the trenches. The Washington OL was consequently nicknamed "The Hogs" after the team rode their success to three Super Bowls.

This is why I've been advocating going to a WCO since when Romo was getting killed due to bad OL.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Tough year for the OL but be fair here, they didn't exactly start out with a very good hand to play. Towards the end of the year, we had some things get better but we were always up against it, so to speak. Next year, I think we get a lot better in the OL. Fredbeard will make a big difference for us, we will get some of the young guys back with more experience, which is invaluable, and stronger and more prepared. We will have good competition at the LG spot and some experienced depth for a change. That will be something we haven't seen in years.

I'm very optimistic about our prospects for improvement all along the OL next year.

nobody

Reaction score
This, "My guess is that they're talking and players are listening and it's getting them booted out of the playoffs constantly." Could be our worse case scenario.

And it looks like the scenario that's sadly the most accurate.

aria

Reaction score
Yes, he just forgot how to get rid of the ball this year. Not having your all pro center, a rookie right guard, a hobbled LT and RT had nothing to do with it.
Forgot? Never sure he ever knew, he’s been spolied with a very good O line most (if not all) of his career.

nobody

Reaction score
Forgot? Never sure he ever knew, he’s been spolied with a very good O line most (if not all) of his career.

I think he was taught to not get rid of the ball. I scream at the tv for him to throw it away just like I did when Romo did the same thing. Pretty sure someone in the front office told them to keep the ball and try to make something out of it.

aria

Reaction score
I think he was taught to not get rid of the ball. I scream at the tv for him to throw it away just like I did when Romo did the same thing. Pretty sure someone in the front office told them to keep the ball and try to make something out of it.
Geez, I’d hope that’s not the case but it wouldn’t surprise me with this team.