Cowboys passing touchdown leaders

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Want to know a quick rare indicator of how good those 70s teams were? They won a whopping 6 road playoff games between 1970 and 79. That included winning 3 NFC championship games on the road.

Since the 70s- basically the last 41 seasons- the Cowboys have won 3 road playoff games. 1980, 1991 and 1992. That’s it. It’s been 30 years since the Cowboys won a road playoff game.

I'm hopeful that we're maybe getting back at least closer to the defense we played during those years and even in the 1990s. I know it's a passing league now, but if we get back to having one of the top defenses and one of the top running games, I think we'll view our QB differently and have a better chance of getting back to playoff success.

gimmesix

Reaction score
True, people will only remember the good. In the end the one thing about football that has not changed and that is it is a team sports, it still takes a team to win. Fact is Roger and Aikman had overall great teams with pro bowler and HOF'er around them.

Both had top defenses and top running games. Don't think that's a coincidence concerning their success. The right circumstances are huge. Fans want QBs to carry teams, but that doesn't really happen. Great ones can certainly make a team better, but they have to have help to be the best team in the league, which is what the Super Bowl champ is. Even some mediocre QBs have Super Bowl titles because of the teams they were on.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Both had top defenses and top running games. Don't think that's a coincidence concerning their success. The right circumstances are huge. Fans want QBs to carry teams, but that doesn't really happen. Great ones can certainly make a team better, but they have to have help to be the best team in the league, which is what the Super Bowl champ is. Even some mediocre QBs have Super Bowl titles because of the teams they were on.

QB is very important, however QB position relies a hell of allot on players around them. QB, does not run routs or makes the tough catches, they do not block for themselves, they don't play defense or special teams. As important as the QB is it still takes a team to win. I do think poor QB play will get you beat quicker than anything else.

gimmesix

Reaction score
QB is very important, however QB position relies a hell of allot on players around them. QB, does not run routs or makes the tough catches, they do not block for themselves, they don't play defense or special teams. As important as the QB is it still takes a team to win. I do think poor QB play will get you beat quicker than anything else.

Agreed. But I think sometimes we equate poor QB play with losses even when there are other reasons or bigger reasons we lost. When your defense isn't good enough or you don't have a good run game, then a QB can throw three touchdowns and one interception and the focus is going to be on that one interception. When the team is good enough to overcome that interception, then the focus is on the three TDs.

I've often said with Romo that his mistakes were magnified because of how bad the defense was. There's no leeway for a bad play when your defense is bad. The same has held true for Prescott IMO. They both have made their share of mistakes, but with Staubach and Aikman, we could overcome those errors with a defensive stand or the defense getting the ball back when the same has not proven true for the most part with Romo or Dak. I think both players would be viewed differently if they had played on those '70s and '90s' teams. I can't say they would have had the same level of success as the Hall of Famers, but it would definitely be more than they have had. Of course, that should be relatively easy to see, but some of our fans seem to be blinded to it. Of course, they are probably also believe that wins and losses are a QB stat.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Romo started 127 games, so he basically averaged two TD passes a game. That's very good.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Agreed. But I think sometimes we equate poor QB play with losses even when there are other reasons or bigger reasons we lost. When your defense isn't good enough or you don't have a good run game, then a QB can throw three touchdowns and one interception and the focus is going to be on that one interception. When the team is good enough to overcome that interception, then the focus is on the three TDs.

I've often said with Romo that his mistakes were magnified because of how bad the defense was. There's no leeway for a bad play when your defense is bad. The same has held true for Prescott IMO. They both have made their share of mistakes, but with Staubach and Aikman, we could overcome those errors with a defensive stand or the defense getting the ball back when the same has not proven true for the most part with Romo or Dak. I think both players would be viewed differently if they had played on those '70s and '90s' teams. I can't say they would have had the same level of success as the Hall of Famers, but it would definitely be more than they have had. Of course, that should be relatively easy to see, but some of our fans seem to be blinded to it. Of course, they are probably also believe that wins and losses are a QB stat.

I get that but when a QB is throwing as many TD as ints, that becomes a problem. While some sack are on the OLine the QB also has responsibility to get the ball out quickly or throw it away to avoid the big loss. Holding on the ball so you are not getting it stripped out and of course keeping your head when all hell is breaking loose around you. These things are not directed at any particular QB but what I have seen through out the years of what it takes for a QB to have success. Every QB will take sacks, every QB will throw ints and get balls stripped from time to time, when it becomes a constant then there are problems.

slick325

Reaction score
Prescott will own this record before he is done playing in Dallas.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you saying Romo played in a WCO?????
A hybrid between a Zampese and the WCO. But I'm saying that inside the 5 yd line romo's offenses were always pass 1st Troy's were never pass 1st