Twitter: Cowboys Penalized Again For OTA's. McCarthy $100k fine

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I'm an old guy, fan since I was born in 1960. Throughout the years, many rules have changed. To me, it is only during the Goodell(Scumbag) years that it seems the rules have changed drastically toward a game for panzies and wussies. It would not surprise me if one day OTAs are done away with.
Who you calling old? Lol
Was born in 1960 as well.
Same birth year as the Cowboys!!!!

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Wow!
Did not know this!
You can learn a lot hanging around this place.
I remember my first big contract. Huge company with giant expectations and I'm the writer.
The nothing guy who has happened to write the entire story and dialogue.
I witnessed so many complications on so many things while on set that it sent my head spinning.
I was treated like crap and still felt empathy for the Director.
The Director felt empathy for me.

When things are Big Business, big things happen.
Big, ugly, unsavory, should-be-expected-but-not-expected things.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I remember my first big contract. Huge company with giant expectations and I'm the writer.
The nothing guy who has happened to write the entire story and dialogue.
I witnessed so many complications on so many things while on set that it sent my head spinning.
I was treated like crap and still felt empathy for the Director.
The Director felt empathy for me.

When things are Big Business, big things happen.
Big, ugly, unsavory, should-be-expected-but-not-expected things.
Stuff happens lol

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly what did they do wrong? Walk on to the field?

RodeoJake

Reaction score
That's easy to get around. Dak has a field in his backyard. He can host a team BBQ, inviting every player and coach. And oh by the way, we're gonna break out the footballs for a friendly game with the coaches coaching. 8

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The GM that's probably drunk and squaring up outside deals like boxing and Soccer venues more than he's mapping out how to get the team to succeed?

I say that while knowing you absolutely know the problem with this team and has called it out multiple times.
When he got that stadium deal done, it was over as far as it being about a football team anymore.

The Cowboys games played there are on the lower end of the profit side because of the revenue sharing. His interest, and I cannot fault him for it, is going to gravitate to that which brings in the most profit. That's the biggest problem with the owner being the GM. His mind is only on football when he's holding court in the media. There are bigger fish to fry and he can count on the media keeping his team fish cooking in the skillet.

If you compare his media exposure to that of the other 61 owners and GM's, he eclipses them all combined. That, is his payoff. That, is why he's not stepping down until he falls down for good.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NFL | NFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement 2020 [link]
Article 21: Offseason Workouts
Section 2. Time Periods:

(iii) Phase Three. Phase Three shall consist of the next four weeks of the Club’s offseason workout program...

...The Club may conduct a maximum of three days of OTAs during each of the first two weeks of Phase Three. A maximum of four days of OTAs may be conducted during either the third week or the fourth week of Phase Three, with the Mandatory Veteran Minicamp (Article 22, Section 2) to be held during the other week...

...During Phase Three,
  • all coaches shall be allowed on the field
  • No live contact is permitted.
  • No one-on-one offense vs. defense drills are permitted (i.e., no offensive linemen vs. defensive linemen pass rush or pass protection drills, no wide receivers vs. defensive backs bump-and-run drills, and no one-on-one special teams drills involving both offense and defense are permitted) except that, outside of the 10-yard line, simulated press coverage is permitted using hand placement (versus jamming) during 11-on-11 drills and related position group one-on-one drills (e.g., footwork and release work (no “live-contact” or “bump-and-run”). During simulated press coverage drills, hand contact between a defensive player and a receiver is permitted provided the defensive player does not impede the receiver or alter his route and no live contact occurs....
(d)(i) Commissioner Fines. In the event that the Arbitrator finds any violation... the head coach shall be subject to a fine in the amount of
  • $100,000 for the first violation, and
  • $250,000 for a second violation, and
  • the Club shall be subject to a fine in the amount of $250,000 for the first violation and
  • $500,000 for a second violation.
If such a violation is found by the Arbitrator, or the NFL and the NFLPA agree that such a violation has occurred, the Commissioner in his sole discretion:

(1) may promptly fine the head coach and the Club in the amounts specified above; or
(2) after consultation with the Executive Director of the NFLPA, may fine the head coach and the Club some lesser amount, or no amount, if the Commissioner determines that
(A) the conduct of the head coach and the Club were based upon a good faith interpretation of Sections 1, 2, 5, 6 or 8 of this Article or the rules set forth in Appendix G; or
(B) did not constitute a material violation of such Sections.​

Any fines assessed by the Commissioner pursuant to this Subsection shall be donated as follows:
  • Fifty percent to the Gene Upshaw Players Assistance Trust, and
  • fifty percent to the Player Care Foundation.
Article 22: MInicamps

Section 9. Films: In addition to the provisions set forth in Article 21, Section 8(h), Clubs shall film all on-field activities from any minicamp, and shall maintain a copy of such films until thirty days after the start of the regular season. The NFLPA may view such films (after signing a confidentiality agreement satisfactory to the NFL at the start of each League Year) only upon the filing of a complaint alleging a violation of this Article.

Appendix G: Offseason Workout Rules

...Voluntary offseason workout programs are intended to provide training, teaching and physical conditioning for players. The intensity and tempo of drills should be at a level conducive to learning, with player safety as the highest priority, and not at a level where one player is in a physical contest with another player...

...The following rules shall also apply to the ten days of organized team practice activity:
  • The NFL will monitor all Clubs during the offseason to ensure player safety and adherence to live contact guidelines.

GQtPRH1.gif