Cowboys PFF Defensive Grades - Season To Date

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Dang, some of those are pretty disappointing. Love it for Markquese Bell though.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
am I correct in that we need better S play? Therefore draft them, sign FAs and focus on the develop of UDFA S players as well?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
PFF is usually tough on NTs, like other people have said. They work on a plus/minus system, where it's hard for a guy like Hankins to make a play and earn a plus. If he stalemates two blockers, he's doing his job and it's a neutral score. If he gets washed out, it's a minus.

But if Hankins is swallowing up the center, and Osa swims free off the guard and gets a TFL, Osa earns a plus. NT is a thankless job.

FWIW, I think PFF weights pass rushing and run stopping equally, even if fans, coaches, and GMs don't. DLaw has long been one of their top tier edge players, and he is an average to good pass rusher among DEs but a literally generational run crusher.

Last edited:

Creeper

Reaction score
What goes into is 100% guesswork. They barely see the DTs unless they make a splash play.. Split a double team for a sack or TFL. Otherwise their job in some systems (like ours) is to eat up blockers and let the LBs go make the tackle. The idiots at PFF apparently don't know how to grade that.. It is what it is.. You can watch the games for yourself and see when teams have zero success running up the middle and that should tell you all you need to know about how well the DTs are playing.
I also wonder if they take into account double team blocks. And how they account for a player who sees a lot of double teams vs another player who never sees them.

conner01

Reaction score
I also wonder if they take into account double team blocks. And how they account for a player who sees a lot of double teams vs another player who never sees them.
Not sure but if a guy is being doubled that frees up other guys so if he’s effectively forcing a double team it’s impactful but will go unnoticed by most and no stats